The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Who is the biggest "gearslut" in the world?
Old 21st November 2002
Gear Maniac

Who is the biggest "gearslut" in the world?

My vote goes to Jack Joseph Puig. (Ocean Way)(MIX cover Oct 2000)

http://mixonline.com/ar/audio_jack_j...puig/index.htm
Old 21st November 2002
Lives for gear

Personally . . I am sick of looking at his mopey LA face trying to look cool. He and Jennifer Lopez.

AND . . . the comments he made in some interview about having the assistant "just grab the mics on the right side of the mic locker" to mic a drum kit is ridiculous. Like I really believe him.

He needs to go live in NYC for awhile and get slapped around a little bit . . . . . lose the three hundered dollar LA shirts on the subway to some mugger . . . . THEN I will care about him! Or go make records without all that ****.

How is that for you?

*smile*
Old 21st November 2002
Musicwise...
Hans Zimmer.
He's got walls of esoteric analogue synths but you'd never know it to hear his music.
Old 21st November 2002
Lives for gear

Yep . . he's another one that needs to get slapped around a bit. Let somebody on a downtown IRT train slap that smug (I got more **** then you) look off his face

*damn I'm enjoying this*
Old 21st November 2002
Lives for gear

Maybe we should start a "Let's slag some people" thread?
Old 21st November 2002
Lives for gear

Yea . . I'll shut up now.
I will say Puig has made some damn good sounding records.
Old 22nd November 2002
Lives for gear

well...i imagine that 'mutt' has a few nice pieces...and i aint just talkin bout the wife......
Old 22nd November 2002
Lives for gear

well, I am not sure if I qualify as a GS anymore after seeing some of the pix posted here lately, but if I don't start working out soon, I will be the biggest something!
Old 22nd November 2002
Lives for gear

I met up with JJP at the Oasis Mastering party last weekend, and have to say, he was one of the coolest people there. My one disappointment was not talking shop with him. (I mean, it WAS a party).
Old 22nd November 2002
Gear Guru

Re: Who is the biggest "gearslut" in the world?

Quote:
Originally posted by Neve Sucks!
My vote goes to Jack Joseph Puig. (Ocean Way)(MIX cover Oct 2000)

http://mixonline.com/ar/audio_jack_j...puig/index.htm

When I saw the topic I thought JJP. The guy who owns Pye in New York is up there too.
Old 22nd November 2002
Gear Maniac

No contest, the winner is Allen Sides!

/Mats
Old 22nd November 2002
Lives for gear

My vote goes to John McBride at Blackbird Studio in Nashville. The dude has 80 channels of Telefunken tube pre's, an 8078, a new API legacy, and hundreds of mics. Walter Sear at Sear Sound is my number two choice. I mean he has a full 60 channel Avalon console and 8 U47's!
Old 22nd November 2002
Gear Addict

After visiting George Massenburg on an occasion, I'd say he is a good candidate. Naturally he has a ton of GML gear... which of it self is very high on the gearslut scale of lust. In fact isn't that the ultimate gearslut? If you are genius enough to build your own gear to get the sound you want...

There was his oxford....and then the only way to describe the rest was if Fred Sanford had been an engineer.
Old 23rd November 2002
Gear Addict

Allen Sides: owns how many major studio facilities? He's been collecting mics forever.

Roger Nichols: he has one of everything that was ever made for anything.

There are very few photos anywhere of Brendan O'brien (almost as few as Mutt). On his studio website there is a photo of him, sitting at the console with his back facing the camera. It's pretty funny. After seeing his mic collection I think I figured it out! He doesn't want anyone to know what he looks like. He's afraid if you recognized him on the street you could follow him home and steal his mics. <g>

Benjy
Old 23rd November 2002
Lives for gear

Actually . . chances are, those are Mike Clark's microphones at Southern Tracks . . . he has one HELL of a world class mic collection.

A nicer guy would be hard to find . . . plus, he hates digital . . . how bad a guy can he be.

*smile*

Mike brought up a valid point to me once about digital that many forget . . those of us that run studios . . . . and those considering running a digital studio.

He bought a Sony, either 24 or 48 track machine for an important client once . . plus he figured he would use it for others. I forget the amount he paid, but it was WAY up there and he got an incredible deal from Sony because they screwed up his order (or something to that effect) . . . . . . anyway . . . he got this Sony for some GREAT deal . . . . . though still WAY up there in price. A year later it was worth 1/ 5 or 1/4 th of the price he paid (even at HIS deal from Sony)

He was just commenting to me how much he hated digital . . . one of the reasons was . . . . . going broke trying to stay current with whatever new digital upgrades, gear, machines and with depreciation . . it was killing him. It is a very valid point that I guess there is no real answer for.

He was laughing cause he knows I am primary a 2" room and knows how I don't have to worry about keeping up with the Joneses as far as multitracks anymore.

Interesting to look at it from a business point of view for a world class facility like his. I know Bobby Nathan at Unique in NYC once told me the way he does it is he NEVER buys anything computer based . . . only leases. When it is time for the yearly digital upgrade . . he goes in and changes his lease. That makes sense to me.
Old 23rd November 2002
Gear Addict

The 'Sounthern Tracks' mic locker looks like someone just found every Neumann mic ever made! It's insane.
Bobby Nathan is a great guy and an old friend. In 1980 he had one of *every* single synth. & midi box made....all leased.

Benjy
Old 23rd November 2002
Gear Addict

I had to do it.

Southern Tracks Mics:
5 TELEFUNKEN U47 **
Ê Ê3 NEUMANN U47Ê **
Ê Ê2 NEUMANN U48Ê **
Ê ÊNEUMANN U47 NUVISTOR
Ê ÊAKG C12 VRÊ Ê
Ê ÊAKG C24 STEREO **
Ê ÊAKG "THE TUBE"Ê
Ê ÊAKG C12A
Ê Ê2 AKG C-60Ê Ê
Ê ÊNEUMANN MM3 **
Ê ÊNEUMANN 149Ê
Ê Ê2 NEUMANN M49Ê
Ê ÊHORCH RM2
Ê Ê3 NEUMANN U67Ê
Ê Ê2 NEUMANN UM 57
Ê ÊNEUMANN CMV 563 ("BOTTLE" OR "LOLLIPOP" MIC )
Ê ÊNEUMANN SM2 STEREO
Ê Ê2 SCHOEPS 221B
Ê Ê2 NEUMANN RFT LEIPZIG 7151 (LARGE BOTTLE MIC)**
Ê ÊNEUMANN RFT LEIPZIG 7151C
Ê ÊNEUMANN CMV 3 (LARGE BOTTLE MIC)**
Ê Ê2 NEUMANN KM 56Ê
Ê Ê2 NEUMANN M 582
Ê ÊNEUMANN CMV 5BÊ
Ê ÊLEIPZIG 6102
Ê Ê2 NEUMANN KM 54Ê
Ê ÊNEUMANN 269
Ê ÊBLUE BOTTLE MIC
Ê Ê Ê Ê ( ** rental charge )
Ê ÊNEUMANN TLM 170Ê
Ê ÊNEUMANN QM 69 QUADRAPHONIC
Ê Ê5 NEUMANN U87Ê
Ê Ê3 NEUMANN U47 Fet
Ê Ê6 NEUMANN KM86Ê
Ê Ê6 NEUMANN KM84
Ê ÊLAWSON L47 FET
Ê Ê3 RCA 77DXÊ Ê
Ê Ê2 RCA 44 BX
Ê Ê2 AKG 414 EBSÊ Ê
Ê ÊAKG 414 ULS
Ê ÊAKG 414 TL 11
Ê ÊAKG D 12Ê Ê
Ê ÊAKG D 12EÊ Ê
Ê Ê4 AKG 451Ê Ê
Ê ÊAKG 460Ê Ê
Ê Ê2 AKG 1000Ê Ê
Ê Ê2 EV RE20
Ê Ê3 WRIGHT MICSÊ
Ê ÊSHURE SM7
Ê Ê2 SENNHEISER 441Ê
Ê Ê5 SENNHEISER 421
Ê Ê6 SHURE SM 57Ê
Ê ÊCROWN SASS STEREO
Ê Ê2 SONY C 500Ê Ê
Ê Ê2 EARTHWORKS TC30
Ê ÊRCA 10001Ê Ê
Ê Ê4 AKG D 30
Ê ÊAKG D 25Ê Ê
Ê ÊAKG D 45
Ê Ê
Ê Ê
Ê
Old 25th November 2002
Gear Nut

Although not quite in the same league as some of the other, How about L. Ron Rubbard?

Check out

http://www.ronthemusicmaker.org/studio4.htm
Old 25th November 2002
Lives for gear

I wonder if I could get an intership in Ron's studio:

http://www.ronthemusicmaker.org/studio.htm

Old 25th November 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Knox

He was just commenting to me how much he hated digital . . . one of the reasons was . . . . . going broke trying to stay current with whatever new digital upgrades, gear, machines and with depreciation . . it was killing him.
In that case add to that gearslut/gearchump list anyone who bought a Fairlight in the mid 80's.
Old 25th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Re: Who is the biggest "gearslut" in the world?

JJP. I was an assistant of his once. His room is definetly the holy grail of analog...in many ways (vibe included). He has gotten into the throw any mic up thing (based upain an anicdote realted to his engineeering for Glyn John once...but then again he doesn't have the opportunity to record much anymore compared to the past (to much demand as a mixer). I think that's BS imo. If you spend as much effort tweaking the perfect balance of gear in the control room...how can you not think that an inch or two and choice of mic is not relevant.....OH and BTW, since Alan sold United Western (the rooms that are Cello) and his Nashville Rooms, he's only got RecordOne (two ssl rooms) and The Ocean Way (in Hoolywood...next door to Cello). Jacks room is the bigger of the two rooms there...and the onwe with all the trick gear..so I don't think Alan's in the running.
Old 26th November 2002
Lives for gear

"A large part of what brings that purity and faithfulness of sound is Ron’s discovery -- and he was the first and only to discern the fact -- that sound does not have wavelengths; it simply has vibrations. " heh fuuck grggt
Old 26th November 2002
Super Moderator

After Allen Sides, Jack Joseph Puig, Roger Nichols, Bobby Nathan, Lou Gonzales & Walter Sear to name a few, I'd say, "I'm one of the biggest independent gearsluts out there."

uh oh. There, I said it. heh
Old 26th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Don't forget our own MW. (another GREAT engineer whom I've been lucky to assist for)....he's a gear slut from way back. I remember him camped out at "Scream" (a studio in LA) with about six full racks behind the console...all kinds of cool pieces that just about only he had or used. He let me do punches on OZZY (THAT was cool...I was sitting there thinking how I was singing "War Pigs" at age fifteen...and then to be there doing punches...wife wife who was prego's with our first got ot meet OZZY...he gave here a few hugs nad "blessed" our child....he's fine so far....)
Old 26th November 2002
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Who is the biggest "gearslut" in the world?

Quote:
Originally posted by recorderman
Jacks room is the bigger of the two rooms there...and the onwe with all the trick gear..so I don't think Alan's in the running.
Okay, let me get this straight. He only owns 2 facilites (several studios total) so he's out of the running?
Old 27th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Re: Re: Re: Who is the biggest "gearslut" in the world?

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Okay, let me get this straight. He only owns 2 facilites (several studios total) so he's out of the running?
Well....what is now Cello was the cream of the crop. Studio B, at Ocean Way is pretty stripped down; and Record Ones' two rooms are pretty standard. One's a J, the other a G (1st 100 input that thier was...For MJ's "BAD" album) and.......OOPS...I forgot...Alan's back in big time.....He also owns Classic Equipment Rental , which was pretty good sized even before he/they took over DigitalDispatch.
Yup...he's got ALOT of gear.
Old 27th November 2002
"OOPS...I forgot...Alan's back in big time.....He also owns Classic Equipment Rental'

This is better than Whacky Races ever was!!!

heh
Old 27th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
"OOPS...I forgot...Alan's back in big time.....He also owns Classic Equipment Rental'

This is better than Whacky Races ever was!!!

heh
Comin' down the track It's JJP, followed by AllenSides....but wait a minute Southern Tracks is making a move, passing L.Ron Hubbard (who's already passed everyone by, by passing away). SouthernTrack's is gaining...but , oh no...he's been bought by AlanSides who now is a length away from JJP. JJP, Allensides. JJP, Allensides. and coming out of the back stretch we got MW making his move...it's a very close and anybody's race now ladies and gentleman....
Old 27th November 2002
Super Moderator

Re: Re: Who is the biggest "gearslut" in the world?

Quote:
Originally posted by Drumsound
When I saw the topic I thought JJP. The guy who owns Pye in New York is up there too.
That's true, you got to add Perry Margouleff to the list. The cream of the crop in gear for sure. He has an awesome sounding room to boot.
Old 27th November 2002
Gear Guru

Re: Re: Re: Who is the biggest "gearslut" in the world?

Quote:
Originally posted by Remoteness
That's true, you got to add Perry Margouleff to the list. The cream of the crop in gear for sure. He has an awesome sounding room to boot.
Thanks for mentioning his name. I couldn't remember and was too lazy to look it up!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search