The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Who is the biggest "gearslut" in the world?
Old 27th November 2002
"Old & cool Gearslut" award goes too......???

That Sear guy in NYC..?

I really want to do a session there before I die..

Old 27th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Guys,

We're using the wrong metrics. I know a (rich) guy or two up in Armonk, NY, with more gear than I would have imagined - in rooms built for their own pleasure.

The true measure of a gear slut is one who

1. Has to have "it".
2. Has an income to gear purchase ratio of "X" (yet to be defined)
3. Has in excess of "$X" worth of gear
4. Does not sell said gear for at least 2 years
5. Has used each/all/every piece of gear once.

Sorry MW, but I'm putting you back on the list....

NYC Drew
Old 27th November 2002
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
"Old & cool Gearslut" award goes too......???

That Sear guy in NYC..?

I really want to do a session there before I die..

Or before he sells the place.

What was Walter's asking price....

Big numbers, north of a million, right?
Old 27th November 2002
Lives for gear

I heard 2 mil, but i am not sure where?

remember, youre not really a slut unless you need all this so bad the occasionally you take a risk and get fu ck ed...
Old 11th January 2004
Gear Head
Biggest gear slut?

At Blackbird, we have a large selection of gear, most of which is not listed on the Website. A few highlights: 18xTelefunken 251, 18xU47, 12xC12, 6xC24 incl. serial #001, 16 channels original EMI mastering eq and 6 original EMI comps, 4xLex960, 4xtcM6000, 4xFairchild 670, 4xPye stereo comp, 4xSony Sampling verbs, 4x Decca comps, 250+tube mics, Veristrand wire all over the place, 2 x 10 drive SNS drives(over a terrabyte of storage), 4xStuder827,4xStuder tube tape machines, 4xProtools HD maxed, many vintage guitar amps, guitars, drum kits, basses, keyboards, 24 channels GML eq, 116 Tube Telefunken mic pre's(36xV76various,64xV72various, 8xV77,8xV78), over 200 mic pre's outboard, Neve 8078 from hell, API Legacy plus 96in, 20xPultec Eq's, 6xRadarII, 4xLex480, 5xAmpex/Studer 1/2" and 1" 2 tracks, 100+channels of outboard compression, 1936Martin D18, 1949 Gibson JS200, 63 Strat, 55 Tele, 63AC30 w/topboost from hell, 2 channels EMI Curvebender, 3xCooper Time Cube, 2x Songbird Cyclosonic Panners, 3x Songbird Tri-Stereo Chorus,2x Live Chambers, and we are currently building a new mix room for George Massenburg, who will move in upon completion. Upon finish of construction, app. 12,000 sq. feet of record space with a total of 4 rooms - 1 demo room, Studio A, Studio B, and the multichannel mix room for George. We have a sickness, and are not looking for a cure - anyone on this site is always welcome to come by. Take care.
Old 11th January 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Biggest gear slut?

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackbird
anyone on this site is always welcome to come by. Take care.
Cool - free sessions at Blackbird.
Old 11th January 2004
Lives for gear

do you have a website at Blackbird' s place?

Jo
Old 11th January 2004
Old 11th January 2004
Lives for gear

As always great service by Brad Blackwood

Thanks Jo
Old 11th January 2004
Gear Addict

Quote:
At Blackbird, we have a large selection of gear, most of which is not listed on the Website. A few highlights: 18xTelefunken 251, 18xU47, 12xC12, 6xC24 incl. serial #001, 16 channels original EMI mastering eq and 6 original EMI comps, 4xLex960, 4xtcM6000, 4xFairchild 670, 4xPye stereo comp, 4xSony Sampling verbs, 4x Decca comps, 250+tube mics, Veristrand wire all over the place, 2 x 10 drive SNS drives(over a terrabyte of storage), 4xStuder827,4xStuder tube tape machines, 4xProtools HD maxed, many vintage guitar amps, guitars, drum kits, basses, keyboards, 24 channels GML eq, 116 Tube Telefunken mic pre's(36xV76various,64xV72various, 8xV77,8xV78), over 200 mic pre's outboard, Neve 8078 from hell, API Legacy plus 96in, 20xPultec Eq's, 6xRadarII, 4xLex480, 5xAmpex/Studer 1/2" and 1" 2 tracks, 100+channels of outboard compression, 1936Martin D18, 1949 Gibson JS200, 63 Strat, 55 Tele, 63AC30 w/topboost from hell, 2 channels EMI Curvebender, 3xCooper Time Cube, 2x Songbird Cyclosonic Panners, 3x Songbird Tri-Stereo Chorus,2x Live Chambers, and we are currently building a new mix room for George Massenburg, who will move in upon completion. Upon finish of construction, app. 12,000 sq. feet of record space with a total of 4 rooms - 1 demo room, Studio A, Studio B, and the multichannel mix room for George. We have a sickness, and are not looking for a cure - anyone on this site is always welcome to come by. Take care.

Oh my god!

That has to be one of the sickest gear lists I've ever seen. Amazing!

Old 11th January 2004
Lives for gear

Check the site it's insanethumbsup thumbsup
Old 12th January 2004
Lives for gear
sorry all but definitely it's vincent gallo

"Yes, but not in a way that you might think. Not in a way that felt good. I spent 24 months on the recording. In that 24 months, I only actually physically recorded music for about six hours. The rest of the time I was fixing equipment, having equipment break down, redesigning things, figuring things out, patching them back together. I was struggling, brutally. The vibe in that room was pure anger and chaos and frustration, and then a minute of deep, deep serenity and concentration, and then back to pain and disappointment. Because I had such high expectations and such a big vision of how all this equipment might work together one day. It took 20 years. I mean, my collection of equipment is the best in the world. I have what no one else could have ever put together because I spent the most time of anybody in the whole world finding these pieces and finding the best ones. For example, there's a microphone [called] the Neumann U47. I own 300 Neumann U47s. 300. Most people will never seen one in their life. Most people wouldn't know an original one or what it should sound like. I own 300 of them, and I’ve listened to every one of them and studied each one of them to get my pair that I use to record with. I don't know any other mike enthusiast in the world that spent that much time on their whole mike collection, let alone one microphone."

and still serachin'
http://www.vincentgallo.com/classifieds/

http://www.drowninginbrown.com/dib_studio.htm
Old 12th January 2004
Lives for gear

****, that brings back memories.
I'm 48 so it is cool to see some old 'friends'.
Old 12th January 2004
Lives for gear

Too bad no one but Vincent Gallo will ever set foot inside that sweet studio. Man that place fits his personality to a tee, doesn't it? Jesus, if he really has 300 U47's, he's more psychotic than I could possibly imagine. He is one genuinely dark guy. I remember a quote from him in some magazine where they asked if he was happy about something, and he said "I'm the happiest the saddest man in the world could be." lol
Old 12th January 2004
Gear Nut

I nominate Mark 'Spike' Stent for his Mix Suite at Olympic.
http://www.olympicstudios.co.uk/
Old 12th January 2004
Gear Nut

Darkhorse is a great facility with a great vibe. However, I would not call them the ultimate Gearslutz. They have a lot of nice gear and a great facility, but they just don't stack up against some of the other people mentioned in this thread.
Old 12th January 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by futur2
For example, there's a microphone [called] the Neumann U47. I own 300 Neumann U47s. 300. Most people will never seen one in their life. Most people wouldn't know an original one or what it should sound like. I own 300 of them, and I’ve listened to every one of them and studied each one of them to get my pair that I use to record with.
Vincent, you should give the Soundelux E47 a test run. It may not have all the vibe of an old Tele/Neumann U47, but it could save you alot of headaches when it comes to maintainence/stability issues.
Old 13th January 2004
Lives for gear

So, if Vincent Gallo has 300 U47's , Iwonder what that actual percentage is of all the 47's ever built.There cant be that many of em...And I wonder just how many of those 300 actually are "The Great Ones"...?
Old 13th January 2004
Gear Maniac

Neumann is said to have build around 8000 u47's. There is a picture of some of his mics on his site. I see 2 47's. Id love to see a pic of 300 u47's all lined up. It seems a bit far fetched to own 300, but who knows.
Old 13th January 2004
Gear Maniac

then again,
the guy also has 4 fairchild 660's , in addition to his 670, all pictured on his site.
Old 13th January 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by mtsupiano
Darkhorse is a great facility with a great vibe. However, I would not call them the ultimate Gearslutz. They have a lot of nice gear and a great facility, but they just don't stack up against some of the other people mentioned in this thread.
I agree, I've been to darkhorse a number of times, it's nice with the horsees and all, but, it isn't a gear fest...just has a good owner (although I though I heard he was selling it) and comfortable facility.

Blackbird has got most beat IMO...I don't quite understand or know if they'll ever turn a true profit, but at John McBride's expense, well, I think he's done well elsewhere, good man...

Are there any other owners or investors at blackbird?
Old 13th January 2004
Gear Nut

doug_hti,

I didn't realize darkhorse was on the market. It seems kinda surprising. I was up there the other day and all of their rooms were booked and the studio manager was talking about possibly expanding. They are also doing some gear aquisition, most notably protools HD. Any more info on this?
Old 13th January 2004
Lives for gear

no, i only heard this from sources a bit more reliable than a rumor about 5 or 6 months ago...Robin still owns it right?
So who knows, good to know they are all booked up
Old 13th January 2004
Gear Addict

So, Gallo has got all the U47s, Blackbirds got all the Pultecs (20!!), no wonder this **** is so rare and expensive!!

Old 13th January 2004
Gear Head

Do dead guys count?

What about Frank Zappa? He had 1 gigabyte of RAM in his Synclavier when the rest of us thought 256k was a big deal...
Old 13th January 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by JYoder
Dark Horse isn't on the market anymore...

The deal they were working on fell through last fall, and Robin has decided to stay and really update the place.
good for him. He's a good guy.
Old 14th January 2004
Gear Addict

Quote:
Neumann is said to have build around 8000 u47's. There is a picture of some of his mics on his site. I see 2 47's. Id love to see a pic of 300 u47's all lined up. It seems a bit far fetched to own 300, but who knows.
I agree. For all the money 300 U47's are worth, you could probably buy a small country.

But then, as you said, who knows....heh
Old 14th January 2004
Gear Head
Blackbird

Hey - McBride here. M & I are doing this on our own - I would have a hard time convincing anyone to jump into this thing! We are busy though - I am glad that someone appreciates what we are trying to do. We add a few pieces here and there on a regular basis - but the EMI eq listed in the high end section is my favorite new acquisition in the last 6 months. We close Feb. 9 on Buzz Cason's place next door and are in the planning process of what we are doing there. The Massenburg multi-channel mix room is priority one - the demo studio priority two - and more record space priority three. Things feel good and I know we could make a heckuva lot more money as a gear house but the studio is where I want to hang out. It is such a great environment there - I hope that it all makes sense someday on the financial end. I still would not change a thing about this place, even though it has turned into a black hole of money and time - I guess it just goes with the territory. Hope to see some of you soon.
Old 14th January 2004
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Chad
then again,
the guy also has 4 fairchild 660's , in addition to his 670, all pictured on his site.
can´t find them. where are they?
Old 14th January 2004
Gear Guru

Re: Blackbird

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackbird
Hey - McBride here.
--snip--

Things feel good and I know we could make a heckuva lot more money as a gear house but the studio is where I want to hang out. It is such a great environment there - I hope that it all makes sense someday on the financial end. I still would not change a thing about this place, even though it has turned into a black hole of money and time - I guess it just goes with the territory. Hope to see some of you soon.
There's the rub 'eh McBride. It's the same here in the trenches too, just on a smaller scale.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search