The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What Kind of Digital Piano/Keyboard Would You Recommend for Use With THE EWQLSO Gold?
Old 8th December 2007
Here for the gear

What Kind of Digital Piano/Keyboard Would You Recommend for Use With THE EWQLSO Gold?

I am new to this area of music recording and its associated technology. I am very interested in buying the EWQSLO Gold Bundle software to begin making and recording my own music to back up my piano solo work. First, though, I need to purchase a decent digital piano/keyboard. What kind of keyboard would you recommend? Being strictly a classical pianist, I am only familiar with acoustic pianos (and some digital pianos such as the Clavinova, etc.). What kinds of features should I look for in a digital keyboard that would work well with the EWQSLO Gold Bundle? What kind of keyboard and/or features does one need when recording like this?

Thanks for your help and suggestions! I hope I don't sound too "new" or uninformed. I'm here to learn!
Old 8th December 2007
Lives for gear

I have an m-audio prokeys 88. It feels about 60% real to me. I've used it for EWQLSO, and the Bosendorfer 290 sample sets, but I'm pretty piano challenged, as well as impatient. I just grab a mouse and program it on the piano roll in Sonar most of the time. I'd rather move forward slowly than scratch my head and sit still.

I would say to take any opinions you get here with a grain of salt. You said you were a classical pianist, and that kind of tells me you should let your fingers tell you what controllers are worth using and which ones suck. The midi that comes out the back is all the same (within reason) anyway. You'd be surprised...one of the Casio crappy "stuff it against a wall/speakers/no line out" pianos felt better than the prokeys unit did.

On the side, there's one thing about EWQLSO you might want to consider..the GOLD bundle is 16 bit. The Platinum bundle is 24 bit. To 95% of the peole listening to the music you've created with it, this will make no difference at all. They'll hear an orchestra behind your piano. But if your like me and the harmonics, texture and flavor of one note on a piano stand out almost as much as the pitch, you might want to consider the platinum bundle.

Anyway, just my $.02

Todd
Old 8th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Indeed you do not need a piano keyboard. A masterkeyboard will do. Most keyboards anyway use Fatar keys. Do (as already said) see what works for you. (Probably a hammer weighted keyboard will feel more convincing.) Many classical people use Clavinova. However in the Virtual Instrument region there are plug-ins that replay a piano much better. Why? Because they are recorded per key (often in 16 volume levels, with and without pedal) Discussions about them are endless but Synthogy Ivory is a pretty decent thing. (The money you save on buying a masterkeyboard instead of a Clavinova will be largely enough to cover the purchase.) If you want to keep options for playing 'live' open, the buy a Macbook instead of a desktop computer.

That all said; Check out vsl.co.at before you buy any classical library.

PS If you will play piano 'live' and seek accompaniment from an orchestral library, pretty much any decent midi master keyboard will do...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search