The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UA Solo 110 experience?
Old 7th December 2007
Gear Addict

UA Solo 110 experience?

every review mostly focuses on the "character" of the 610 and what a great bass di it makes. Is this a case of gladhanding reviews glancing over a product because it sucks? I have no place to test a 110, and no reviews with any depth of infromation. anyone own/use/used it? looking at blue robbie too, FWIW. they take a huge dump on resale used for some reason.
Old 7th December 2007
Gear Addict

Hey Starang,

I haven't tried the solo 110, but maybe this will help you out. I believe that the 8110 uses basically the same circuit design, minus the vintage and saturated modes. When I was looking into getting this rig, I came upon this link which has audio samples. Hope this helps.

UA WebZine "Ask the Doctors!" May 05 | Dialing in UA's New Precision Preamp
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

I have a 110 and honestly I'm not that in love with it. It seems a little veiled, doesn't seem to have all that much headroom and if you crank up the gain for some "character" it isn't all that pleasant to me. fwiw- I tend to like my Grace Design stuff on most sources a lot more. Obviously YMMV

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 8th December 2007
Gear Head

Solo 610

The UA solo 610 is probably a better buy for the same money. The tube allows you to add warmth and pleasing distortion. It's the same pre but a tube version of it. Note that the 610 has been used over the years for countless grammy award winning records . Norah Jones , Frank Sinatra, and Sammy Davis Jr. just off the top of the head. Sounds good. I have one. Different than my Vintech but an asset.
Old 8th December 2007
Lives for gear

I compared the Solo 110 with the DAV BG No 1U side by side and prefered the DAV by far (incl. the DI). For vocals I like the 610 better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search