The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BLA 002 Tweekheadroom question
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

BLA 002 Tweekheadroom question

OK, I got my 002 back from BLA this week and will be recording this weekend. My question is about the improved headroom. When I was tracking before I would record with the levels reaching about 60% of the way up the meeter leaving headroom for processing.

Now with this 20dbs of extra headroom should I have my levels the same? (This is what I'm thinking)

Or can I record hotter to protools because I have more headroom?

I asked BLA about this and jim says that the software should recognize the headroom and I should continue to track/record about 60% of the way up the meeter.

I just wanted to get responses from tweekhead owners and see how they track since the Mod.

I guess I'll probably find out when I turn it on and record somthing but please chime in if you have somthing to say

Thanks
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

I've only had a chance to playback a few seesions on my tweekhead 002.It sounds smoother and better overall to me.My guess is you would not change your approach to levels.The 002 should now show off those dynamics with more detail and clarity and punch.Low level resolution should increase.No need to change your levels.
Old 7th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lipps View Post
OK, I got my 002 back from BLA this week and will be recording this weekend. My question is about the improved headroom. When I was tracking before I would record with the levels reaching about 60% of the way up the meeter leaving headroom for processing.

Now with this 20dbs of extra headroom should I have my levels the same? (This is what I'm thinking)

Or can I record hotter to protools because I have more headroom?

I asked BLA about this and jim says that the software should recognize the headroom and I should continue to track/record about 60% of the way up the meeter.

I just wanted to get responses from tweekhead owners and see how they track since the Mod.

I guess I'll probably find out when I turn it on and record somthing but please chime in if you have somthing to say

Thanks
The BLA mod won't have increased your digital resolution. 24bits is still 24bits, 0dBFs is still the same. I don't know how the preamps have been modded, but you might find you have to set the pots at a different position to get the same signal level. What you also may find there's more gain available for quiet sources.

There's also plenty of threads on here about gain structure, and how you don't need to push the headroom anymore with 24bit recording. Sounds like you're not doing that, so I say continue as you were.
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Is that not in the FAQ? If not, it should be. Rule #1 or so....when recording digital, you don't have to push the levels. It doesn't do any good. The only reason it was that way with tape was that the noise levels of the tape was to a point that the hotter the levels of the sourse, the less tape noise you heard.
That and the fact that some tape decks and/or tape responded well to this.

Digital does none of this. Just get decent levels and adjust as needed.

The added headroom applies for quiet sources where you can apply more gain to get them to a decent level without the pres starting to add unwanted artifacts.

m
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

what I figured. Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search