The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analog Summing Question..?..
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Analog Summing Question..?..

I'm thinking of getting an analog board for mixing, and was wondering what would be the best way to sum to the board,
assuming i want at least 8 or 16-channels to go back to the board?

Alesis HD24?
Dangerous Music D-Box?

i currently have a Fireface 800 Interface and Cubase 4, and use all outboard preamps.
I don't know much about summing...
Can i just take 8 channels out from the Fireface, or would the signal be weakened when it hits the board?

cheers,
bkp
Old 7th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereisbkp View Post
I'm thinking of getting an analog board for mixing, and was wondering what the best way to sum to the board would be, assuming i want at least 8 or 16-channels to go back to the board?

Alesis HD24?
Dangerous Music D-Box?

i currently have a Fireface 800 Interface and Cubase 4, and use all outboard preamps.

cheers,
bkp
Generally speaking, a summing mixer is used in place of a mixing board - you mix using the DAW, but using discrete outputs. You wouldn't use a summing mixer before or after a mixer.

The HD24 and D-Box are 2 totally different products - one's a recorder, the others a summing box + monitoring section.

So, with the gear you've got, you could add a D-Box, mix in cubase and use the D-box for monitoring and routing the mixes back to cubase or external 2-track machine.

Or you could get a fully featured desk, and do most of the mixing on that (probably automation in cubase) and use THAT to sum back to the computer.

If I'm misunderstanding you, please correct me...
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

O.K. thanx for the clarity.
i guess what i'm wanting to do is automate in Cubase and then mix down on the board, using the board's EQ/Panning/levels as well as outboard compression, and then send everything back to a stereo track, into Cubase or HD recorder.
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

I bought an old roland 16 channel mixer for $50, and just keep everything @ unity (my fancy word of the day). My plan is to tack on 'good' eq and 'excellent' compression outboard. Not saying this is the route for you, but you might be able to experiment for yourself on the cheap before committing $X grand to a solution.

Or rent first, and let us know how it turns out!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search