The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cornford Cabinet Impedance Question
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Cornford Cabinet Impedance Question

I have a Cornford 4x12 cab in my place that sounds amazing (solid pine, Vintage 30s). It runs at 16 ohms.

However, I just bought a Rectoverb head which only runs at 8 or 4 ohms. I know it's "safe" to run it into the Cornford cab, but it doesn't sound as good due to the mismatch (darker and less-defined).

So, I have a few options:

1) wire this cab to 4 ohms - how will this affect the sound of the amp compared to running it properly at 8 ohms into an 8 ohm cab?

The main problem with this is that I also have an Orange head (which I love) which runs at only 8 or 16 ohms, so...

2) replace the speakers with 8 ohm Vintage 30s and run it at 8 ohms. (Will this affect the sound of the Orange now (ie is running the Orange at 16 ohms into a 16 ohm cab inherently better than running it at 8 ohms into an 8 ohm cab??)

3) wire the Cornford at 4 ohms and pick up a 2nd 16 ohm cab for the Orange (which sounds brilliant through the Cornford!)

4) keep the Cornford for the Orange head, and pick up an 8 ohm cab for the Mesa head, which has to sound as good as the Cornford. (My least preferred option simply due to the cost)

5) Sell the Cornford and buy an 8 ohm cab that suits both (Bogner over-sized 2x12 maybe? Will I need to stretch to the 4x12 so I don't lose out on what I have already? Budda?)

6) Is there any way to re-wire my current cab (four 16-ohm Vintage 30s) to run at 8 ohms and still sound as good?

My head hurts. Advice welcome.
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartMac View Post
I have a Cornford 4x12 cab in my place that sounds amazing (solid pine, Vintage 30s). It runs at 16 ohms.

However, I just bought a Rectoverb head which only runs at 8 or 4 ohms. I know it's "safe" to run it into the Cornford cab, but it doesn't sound as good due to the mismatch (darker and less-defined).

So, I have a few options:

1) wire this cab to 4 ohms - how will this affect the sound of the amp compared to running it properly at 8 ohms into an 8 ohm cab?

The main problem with this is that I also have an Orange head (which I love) which runs at only 8 or 16 ohms, so...

2) replace the speakers with 8 ohm Vintage 30s and run it at 8 ohms. (Will this affect the sound of the Orange now (ie is running the Orange at 16 ohms into a 16 ohm cab inherently better than running it at 8 ohms into an 8 ohm cab??)

3) wire the Cornford at 4 ohms and pick up a 2nd 16 ohm cab for the Orange (which sounds brilliant through the Cornford!)

4) keep the Cornford for the Orange head, and pick up an 8 ohm cab for the Mesa head, which has to sound as good as the Cornford. (My least preferred option simply due to the cost)

5) Sell the Cornford and buy an 8 ohm cab that suits both (Bogner over-sized 2x12 maybe? Will I need to stretch to the 4x12 so I don't lose out on what I have already? Budda?)

6) Is there any way to re-wire my current cab (four 16-ohm Vintage 30s) to run at 8 ohms and still sound as good?

My head hurts. Advice welcome.
7) Buy a Weber Z Matcher: https://taweber.powweb.com/store/zmatch.htm
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Wow - does this work seamlessly? No loss of tone or anything?

If so - thank you!!
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

To be honest, I haven't tried it myself, but I found this comment on another forum:

By the way, I've been using the Weber Z-Matcher for over a month, and I tried it in all kinds of configurations.
It is the swiss-army knife of amp/speaker tools. I heard NO sound difference at all, except that I get proper volume and headroom levels when I had the amp-zMatcher-speaker set for proper impedance matching.
Great idea Ted!!!!!
-andy-
Old 7th December 2007

Just to hurt your head a little more - I have heard amps that sound better on the 16ohm tap than the 8ohm tap. Rewire the speakers for proper impedance and it's the same story.

So, if you like the 16ohm cab run from the 16ohm tap on your amp, don't distrub it.

Buy an 8ohm cab in something like an open back 2x12 for a bit of variety...

-tINY

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search