The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Portico 5012 psu switch
Old 7th December 2007
Gear Head

Portico 5012 psu switch

Hello, just got 5012 pre and I dont have on/off switch on the front. only from the back. since i'm an idiot I dont know if should I power it off from the back after done recording maybe leave it on having no mics connected to it? or just maybe leave unit's switch "on" but switch the wall wart on/off when needed?

blabla, please answer seriously and kindly (I know you find it hilarious)

thanks
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

We leave all the rack gear in our studio on all the time. And it isn't blowing up or smoking.
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejod View Post
Hello, just got 5012 pre and I dont have on/off switch on the front. only from the back. since i'm an idiot I dont know if should I power it off from the back after done recording maybe leave it on having no mics connected to it? or just maybe leave unit's switch "on" but switch the wall wart on/off when needed?

blabla, please answer seriously and kindly (I know you find it hilarious)

thanks
If you don't work at least 12-16 hours/day why to keep it on Wits some gears and conosles it might work, but definitely no benefits with such gears as Portico pre.
I logically group devices that usually work together to main supply 'swiitcher/router with separate turn on/off buttons, so I can easy turn on and off several devices at once.
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

It would make absolutely no sense at all to have a power switch on a Portico. The PSU is external, and low voltage DC enters the unit. Therefore if you had a power switch in the unit, it would not be turning high voltage AC input to the PSU off.

External PSU are a mixed blessing. It means low noise, and portability - you can run this off a car battery! Ideal for a solar powered studio ... Also, PSU's are the item most likely to fail, so being able to replace it with a generic off the shelf one is handy. The Portico regenerates the power into silent DC internally, so it's an impressive unit - I like mine.
Old 7th December 2007
mds
Lives for gear

I like those rack mount power strips with a switch for each outlet. That way you can have one place to switch on and off gear as necessary.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search