The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bullet proof mic, A/D coversion & mic pre chain for voice over?
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Bullet proof mic, A/D coversion & mic pre chain for voice over?

I'm doing some work with a firm that does voice overs in different languages. Their gear is abysmal, a €45 mic on a jack lead into a creative audigy soundcard. It's so noisey it's a joke. I've tried explaning how bad their gear really is but it falls on, surprise, surprise....deaf ears.

They badly need an upgrade. I haven't done a whole lot of voice over stuff. Any suggestions on putting together a good all round chain starting a few €00's going up to a few €000's?
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

FWIW my basic v/o chain is...

Microtech Gefell M930 >> Metric Halo ULN-2 >> Mac

Add a Pauli SuperScreen, a K&M Mic stand, a Vovox mic cable, Sony MDR-7506 cans, a RealTraps Portable Vocal Booth, some MicroTraps, a desklamp and a script-holder and you're really in business.

Then I just need a pencil and glass of water!

This whole set-up works extremely well and reliably for me, and sounds as good as all but the classiest commercial studios I go into. Not much change from €3,000 though - it all depends how 'pro' you want to go.
Old 7th December 2007
Gear Addict

Echo Audio Fire 4 and a 57/58 and a pop filter would be cheap and far far better than what they're currently using and much cheaper than above. $400 tops.
Old 7th December 2007

I'm not too slutty when it comes to converters, so I'll leave that to you.

But, the Safesound P1 has a good clean sound and amazing dynamics control. I would definately look at putting one of those between the mic and converter....

-tINY

Old 8th December 2007
Lives for gear

I dunno 'bout voiceovers, but the API A2D (A/D with 2 mic pres) got a great review in the latest Tape Op. Add a TLM103 or decent front fire dynamic, and you'd be good to go for around 3k USD, maybe even less depending on the mic.

That said, check out the Samson (and others ) Podcasting USB mics, That might actually work for what you're doing for far less.
Old 8th December 2007
Gear Maniac

We are asking the same questions here:
VO Mic Tests
VOMicTest blog

Let us know what you decide.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search