The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording with Figure-8 Ribbon Mic in a less than ideal room?
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Recording with Figure-8 Ribbon Mic in a less than ideal room?

I was thinking about trying out my stereo pair of Fathead IIs as drum overheads in my less than ideal live room. The ceiling is extremely low (around 8.5') and there is some limited acoustic treatment.

Is it generally a bad idea to use a fig-8 ribbon mic in a relatively poorly treated room with a low ceiling? I can deaden the ceiling so that early reflections will be minimized. It seems that the fig-8 pattern might actually work to eliminate much of the room sound for the recording as the nulls will face out. Good idea or not so good?

Of course I'll test it out either way and follow my ears
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Although I don't exactly familiar with the situation you are in, but I suggest to use some kind of "control" over the mics (portable vocal booth from realtraps), or the other is to not use figure of eight pattern mics there. Also, some kind of pvb like thing can come handy there even if you use cardioids for oh.
Tamas Dragon
Old 7th December 2007
Gear Nut

my advice would be to kill the room as best you can, thats the only way to beat the room your in. but as you said follow your ears.
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

I put my gobo's around the backside of my ribbons if I want a more focused, controlled sound and don''t want the room.
Old 7th December 2007
I ended up selling my stereo ribbon mic (Royer SF12) as I felt it was wasted in my small drum room (was terrific when I was a studio hopping freelancer using bigger rooms)

Was a sad day...
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

a couple of se reflexion filters might do the trick for you. there was an article in sound on sound this month about ribbons as mic overheads and i believe they used the reflexions with good results (as far as my memory serves).
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
a couple of se reflexion filters might do the trick for you. there was an article in sound on sound this month about ribbons as mic overheads and i believe they used the reflexions with good results (as far as my memory serves).
That's a $500 fix... The idea is right though. Good 'ole 703 fiberglass does the trick great for me.
Old 7th December 2007
Gear Addict

I've used the Fathead II's in this situation before. My ceilings are somwhat higher 13' ...but the room is still far from being a "great" sounding room. It's not bad...but there's def. room for improvement. Anyway, try some 703 above the overheads if there is space. There will be some room sound getting in there, but not as much.

I'm always amazed at how much rejection occurs at the null on a fig-8 ribbon mic in the Drum OH application. Recently, I had a bass amp and guitar amp cranking in the same room as the drums and when I soloed the Oh's you could barely tell they were there. Hardly any bleed at all.

Give it a try....
Old 7th December 2007
JWL
Lives for gear

Yeah, I think it could work, depending on the room. Do you have absorption on the ceiling? That's best.

Second best would be the portable vocal booth from RealTraps. It's a good size, really works well. You can hear it in action on the videos page at RealTraps.
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

I got good drums in a low-ceiling small room by close mic'ing with 57's ..lots of impact ..better than large rooms.
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Vernier, did you use the 57's on overheads or just tom/snare? I'm curious.

PheelTheMusic--why not try using your ribbons out in front of your drums instead? Then the low ceiling would be in the null of the pickup pattern. I use an SF12 on my overheads all the time and love it. Absorption overhead would probably be the way to go if you really do want to place the mics above the drums. You could always go underneath the drums as well.

I recently did a session using the SE Reflexion Filter behind my SF12 for drum overheads. It did dry up the early reflections. However, for the amount of aggravation involved with setting it up I'm not sure it was really worth it. I kind of like the roomier overhead sound anyway. I'm glad I tried it out, but I probably won't do it again.

Brad
Old 8th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
PheelTheMusic--why not try using your ribbons out in front of your drums instead? Then the low ceiling would be in the null of the pickup pattern. I use an SF12 on my overheads all the time and love it. Absorption overhead would probably be the way to go if you really do want to place the mics above the drums. You could always go underneath the drums as well.
My mic locker currently consists of:

1X Pearlman TM1
1X Blue Kiwi
1X Blue U87AI
2X Cascade Fathead II
2X Studio Projects C4
2X SM57
1X AKG D112

The Studio Projects C4s are being ditched for a pair of Peluso CEMC6s and I'm adding an SM7B to the collection as well. For drum recording I'm thinking D112 kick, 57 snare, and a pair of CEMC6s or Fathead IIs for overheads then one of my three LDCs farther out in the room.

I will deaden the hell out of the ceiling if I use the Fatheads as overheads. Looks like a plan. What would you guys do about covering two rack toms and a floor tom with one 57 and an SM7b available. Maybe I'll just pick up another 57...
Old 8th December 2007
Lives for gear

Sell the Studio Projects C4's and pick up a pair of CAD M179's for toms. You can thank us later.

Brad
Old 8th December 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaytex View Post
That's a $500 fix... The idea is right though. Good 'ole 703 fiberglass does the trick great for me.
Exactly what i did!!!. I use an R88 for OH's a lot lately and it is ok(acceptable) with the 8 foot ceiling if the drummer isn't hitting too hard and the 703 is there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search