The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitors Again.
Old 7th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Monitors Again.

I have the riginal mackie hr824, purchased them in 2000 been reading thread after thread on negative things about them, I don't really have a problem with them but thought maybe I'm missing something. Dynaudio bm5's have received rave reviews. I am not concerned with the smaller size since I use a sub. So what the hell I go to guitar center today line a pair of bm5's ,Hr624's and Event whatever they are the most expensive ones, hooked up to a mackie big knob for quick comparison. Events where good enough, bm5's more low mid, Mackie just sounded better to me way more hifi more and wider highs and high mids very flattering. The bm5's sounded more like a home stereo speaker to me and the Mackies where just big and wide sounding. Am I missing something here?
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

I always like the 624s more than the 824s. They seemed more true in the highs. The 824s to me sounded a bit smeary. The Dyns sounded too hyped.

Listen to some Barefoots and you'll hear a dfference worth contemplating.
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Some people like the Mackie's. It's a personal preference. If they work for you, great.

My beef with them may be the very thing you like about them. They're very flattering to the music. Myself, I prefer a more accurate monitor, so that my mixes hold up when they leave the studio. Plenty of people get good mixes on the Mackie's though, I'm just not one of them.
Old 7th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Barefoots look cool but can't drop 7k on monitors now.
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeStoker View Post
I have the riginal mackie hr824, purchased them in 2000 been reading thread after thread on negative things about them, I don't really have a problem with them but thought maybe I'm missing something. Dynaudio bm5's have received rave reviews. I am not concerned with the smaller size since I use a sub. So what the hell I go to guitar center today line a pair of bm5's ,Hr624's and Event whatever they are the most expensive ones, hooked up to a mackie big knob for quick comparison. Events where good enough, bm5's more low mid, Mackie just sounded better to me way more hifi more and wider highs and high mids very flattering. The bm5's sounded more like a home stereo speaker to me and the Mackies where just big and wide sounding. Am I missing something here?
I did basically the same shootout as you and ended up with the Event ASP8s.
The Events are a little laid back but very full range with material that is recorded well however if you play a crappy recording on them you will hear every mistake.
FWIW I liked the Mackies as well but did not like the BM5.

I would suggest you audition with some material that you know has problems and if the monitor you are considering reveals it, you are on the right track.
The last thing you need is a monitor that makes everything sound good. Some people feel the Events do that, I'm not one of them though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search