The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio Projects C4's Anyone using them?
Old 6th December 2007
Gear Addict

Studio Projects C4's Anyone using them?

I'm looking for another pair of SDC's primarily for main pair or spots for classical use and was wondering if anyone has any feedback on these. They seem like a great deal at $359 for a factory matched pair with interchangeable capsules, and the specs. seem excellent but how do they sound? Can they compete with other low-mid priced SDC's like Shure KSM141 and AT 4051?
Old 6th December 2007
Gear Head

I own a pair. I'm no gear expert, and aside from the occasional overheads that I've used them for, I've only used them on ride and hi-hat. In those instances I've preferred them over the SM81... I've never used the other mics you mentioned though.

I apologize if that isn't any help to you.
Old 6th December 2007
Lives for gear

We have a pair at church. They're okay, not bad, but not great either. We used to use them as overheads, they've been replaced with Sennheiser 914's. I sometimes use them on perc, or strings. Our acoustic players always go through a D.I., so I can't comment on their use for guitar, but I'm sure they'd do a decent job. I think they're at least as good as Rode NT5's, not as good as the Shure KSM137's.
Old 6th December 2007

They were recently redesigned.

The older version sounded pretty good until it got loud and then they got harsh fast. For stuff quieter than rock and roll cymbals, they should work fine.

Can't speak to the new ones.

-tINY

Old 7th December 2007
jhg
Lives for gear

New C4 mics

I had a couple of chances to hear the new C4s in a good room with a knowlegable engineer recently. They sound very good. I wouldn't hesitate at all picking up a pair. Job well done on the new studio projects mics. Price is deceptive.
Old 7th December 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks for the info guys
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

i have a pair of the updated version, too.
i like them.

quiet and flat.
Old 7th December 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
i have a pair of the updated version, too.
i like them.
In the same position - I hate them. The whole SP fad is beyond me. I rather spend more money and get real sound in return.

YMMV.
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

I have a pair of the old version - I like them. They are nice on Drum OH and piano, as well as a general stereo pair for recital recording and the like. They are not my favorites on acoustic guitar, but they are definitely usable.
Cheers!
-Mike
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

I had the old ones years ago. The midrange actually sounded pretty good on them, but they were SO harsh on the high end it was insane. It's entirely possible my hatred of cymbals stems from those being my first OH mics. I'd like to try the new ones... well. I would try the new ones. If they sent them to me for free. With some cookies or something and a "sorry we made you hate 7k for life" card.

I haven't heard the 4051 yet but enough people I trust have said it's solid that I want to check it out. I think the KSM141 is one of the best deals in audio. I may pick up a 137 as well as a dedicated cardioid only snare mic so I can keep moving my 141s around all the other sources they sound so good on.
Old 8th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by espen askelad View Post
I had the old ones years ago. The midrange actually sounded pretty good on them, but they were SO harsh on the high end it was insane. It's entirely possible my hatred of cymbals stems from those being my first OH mics. I'd like to try the new ones... well. I would try the new ones. If they sent them to me for free. With some cookies or something and a "sorry we made you hate 7k for life" card.

i think there may be a chance that you have overloaded them by too loud playing.
the new c4 are all new inside and outside and take more spl.

i compared my c4s mkII to my sp c1 and the c4s had NOT the high end bump the c1 has.
Old 8th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
i think there may be a chance that you have overloaded them by too loud playing.
the new c4 are all new inside and outside and take more spl.

That was my experience with them. They sound quite good until they overload. At that point the 7-12kHz range gets really bad sounding

The mark 1 C4 did not degrade gracefully and started sounding bad at somewhat low levels. I backed them off the cymbals a bit and they sounded a lot better (and the drummer was seasoned, not some young punk with logs in his hands).

-tINY

Old 8th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
In the same position - I hate them. The whole SP fad is beyond me. I rather spend more money and get real sound in return.

YMMV.

Not too helpful a post there....

Care to elaborate, or just take quick, cheap shots because they wouldn't replace the capsule you hit with a stick for free?

-tINY

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search