The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buying drumagog, is the included library any good..?
Old 6th December 2007
Lives for gear

Buying drumagog, is the included library any good..?

...Or do I need to go right ahead and purchase the much apraised Steven Slate addition ?
Old 6th December 2007
Lives for gear

They are "okay"...not great.

Why not make you own samples? It seems the results will be somewhat generic using the same canned samples everybody else uses.
Old 6th December 2007
Gear Nut

The sounds that come with the program are good and will work fine. But once I had purchased the Steven Slate drums I have not used the stock samples much. I did purchase the vintage drums as well and there are a few drums that work nice for that old school flavor. The SS Drums work great. I find I use Drum A Gog to trigger BFD more often. A lot more control over the entire kit. But the SS drum are ready for mixing, the BFD drums you have to finesse like you would a recorded kit.
Old 6th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar View Post
...Buying drumagog, is the included library any good?
?
They're ok, but the Steven Slate Samples blow the kicks and snares outta the water.
Old 6th December 2007
Lives for gear

Stock ones suck in comparison to Steven Slate ones
cam
Old 6th December 2007
Gear Addict

Never used the Slate samples, but when blended just right, the stock samples do the job... at least for Kick anyway!
Old 6th December 2007
Gear Head

I've only ever used Drumagog on an uneven drummer. I just make my own gog files based on the drummer. I feel less like a fraud doing that, I guess.

NTTAWWT
Old 6th December 2007
Lives for gear

The samples that come with it suck. Get the SuperSonic library. It doesn't sound like a wet paper bag like the Slate samples.
Old 6th December 2007
NL5
Lives for gear

Go to the drumagog site and get the Andy Sneap samples. Very versatile. And free.
Old 6th December 2007
Gear Addict
They don't "suck"...some are very useable and make sure you download the extra sets they have available. There's a seperate section on the site for those. I have heard great things about the the SS samples though and will most likely pick them up in the near future.
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

How about those "Dan's House Vintage Drums" sample set? Anyone try those? All those vintage drum pics make it tempting to try. But there's no audio demo of 'em.
Old 7th December 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
How about those "Dan's House Vintage Drums" sample set? Anyone try those? All those vintage drum pics make it tempting to try. But there's no audio demo of 'em.
They do have samples, but they are gog files, you can find them here
http://danshousestudio.com/vintage_drums/

They are ok for the old school vibe. I find I only use like 2 or 3 of the samples
Old 7th December 2007
Gear Addict

Buying Drumagog without the Steven Slate samples is like buying a power drill with out the drill bits. In my opinion, the stock Drumagog samples are just not happening. Go with the Slate samples and check drum samples off of your wish list.

Junk
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Perhaps as an aside, since we're on the subject of sample replacement try this:

With Drumagog it's very easy to pull up a sample and adjust the pitch as well.

Whenever I sample replace I am always using it as a supplement to the original track.

Take the snare track and mult it to another channel where you place Drumagog.
Call up a snare sample of choice, then solo the two tracks.
Now with the original as a reference, carefully adjust the pitch to match the original snare.

Makes as big difference in my opinion.
Old 7th December 2007
Gear Maniac

I think my key to Drumagog is to try to never forget to record samples. Every drummer that walks in the door. After we get sounds I record samples. I open all the mics and record them all down. Then I have can trigger OH and and Room samples in addition to the close mics.

Nothing new I'm sure but cool nonetheless.

Steve
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath|Audio View Post
The samples that come with it suck. Get the SuperSonic library.
Thanks Goliath! I hope the new mixes are coming along well!

The stock drumagog library did a good job of encouraging me to make my library available to the public There are a few samples that work great when blended although they are just not for my tastes when fully replacing.
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks everyone... I´m looking forward to giving this a try.
Old 7th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Drumagog is a life saver. The Steven Slate samples are incredible. Nothing else to say really.

B

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search