The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kick drum mic suspension?
Old 6th December 2007
Lives for gear

Kick drum mic suspension?

Anybody using this or anything like it? It looks like you can have placed on the outside of the kick drum as well.

kick drum microphone shock mounts - KELLY*SHU Shock Mounts
Old 8th December 2007
SRS
Lives for gear

No, and I think it is not necessary if you use a separate mic stand and do not directly connect the mic to the drum itself. Kinda gimmicky in my opinion... Also, being such a big piece of metal in the drum, would certainly affect the sound in some fashion. Either by reflections or by the metal itself resonating.
Old 8th December 2007
Lives for Jesus

Nope.

just use a mic stand

Old 8th December 2007
Lives for gear

Certainly not gimmicky for some applications. For live it's a really convenient thing.

Our drummer has something similar mounted in his kick. Mic stays in the kick, no need for set up and the setup is the same every time. It's an articulated arm with a spidermount basket. It's mounted to the shell so the XLR just plugs in the side of the kick. Good if you want to have a permanent mic set up in your kick, really reduces rumble from the drum riser transmitting through a mic stand, less bleed form other mics, less finicky, allows for isolated micing in a closed front-head situation. All in all, been a good idea.

These types of mounts aren't really meant for studio, I suppose. Probably cause the studio is going to want their mic back.

And that piece of metal isn't going to resonate to any audible degree.
Old 8th December 2007
SRS
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Certainly not gimmicky for some applications. For live it's a really convenient thing.

Our drummer has something similar mounted in his kick. Mic stays in the kick, no need for set up and the setup is the same every time. It's an articulated arm with a spidermount basket. It's mounted to the shell so the XLR just plugs in the side of the kick. Good if you want to have a permanent mic set up in your kick, really reduces rumble from the drum riser transmitting through a mic stand, less bleed form other mics, less finicky, allows for isolated micing in a closed front-head situation. All in all, been a good idea.

These types of mounts aren't really meant for studio, I suppose. Probably cause the studio is going to want their mic back.

And that piece of metal isn't going to resonate to any audible degree.
Sounds like your drummer probably has the Randall May Internal Microphone setup. I had that in one of my live kits for years and it is the absolute best thing in the world for live applications. Especially the kick drum. I had them in the kick and all of my toms. Some live sound guys would just plug right in when I told them of it, and others would still set up stands and or clips to the toms, cause they knew what they would have when the raised the fader. All depends. I was really referring to pro recording situations. I would shy away from that in a pro recording session for sure. The May miking system uses a small rounded completely adjustable arm, causing little to no acoustic problems in the drum. This Shu device, is too large and flat in a drum. But I am a perfectionist, always looking for the best acoustics in everything.
Old 8th December 2007
Lives for gear

Yes, it was the Randall May mount.

My only complaint with it was the cutting template included in the box was slightly the wrong scale (!?!) so the mounting was a bit messy. The guys at Randall May apologized profusely when I phoned to chastize them.

I must say that I prefer micing toms outside the shell, but never had complaints about inside mounting the kick for live.
Old 8th December 2007
PDC
Lives for gear

Wouldn't that tension on the shell be a bad thing? Any drum theologists out there?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search