The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ProTools on your iPhone? Control Surfaces
Old 5th December 2007
Gear nut

ProTools on your iPhone?

Hi there,

I'm looking for people with a "jailbroken" iPhone and a ProTools rig to help beta test a piece of software that I wrote for the iPhone.

It's a control surface with 8 touch sensitive faders that works over Wifi.
Here is a video of an older version of it:
ProRemote

thanks!

(note: I cross posted this as a reply to another thread by accident!, sorry...)
Old 5th December 2007
Lives for gear

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!! Whats next?

Hollllly ****! This is amazing.. i wish i had a Iphone.. soon maybe!
Old 5th December 2007
Lives for gear

I've got my iPhone here. Send it over so I can try it out.

Otherwise, I dunno... I smell bs for some reason. The only reason I say this is that there's sooooo many Apple related fake things out there AND that your finger doesn't look like it's actually touching the iPhone in the video. Looks like you key'd it out over that section. But hey, if its real...I apologize in advance and would like to test the software!

However if you want something that I know for sure is real and currently available, there's a few software vendors out there right now that are making software that allows remote control of your desktop from your iPhone. It's stable and I tried it out and it seems to work well enough. Works with Mac or PC. I'll try to remember the name. It does any software however, not just PT.
Old 5th December 2007
Gear Head

send it my way too!
Old 5th December 2007
Lives for gear

holy **** that looks crazy.
Old 5th December 2007
Lives for gear

if this works ill buy a iphone i need a phone anyway.
Old 5th December 2007
Lives for gear

Make one for Nuendo as well.
Old 5th December 2007
Lives for gear

Either thats real and pretty badass or you are one pro video/graphic editor!
Old 5th December 2007
Lives for gear

Impressive.
Old 5th December 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, I wanna try. Thats cooooool.
Old 5th December 2007
Gear nut

errr, can i ask why??
Old 5th December 2007
Lives for gear

if it works on iphone it should work on ipod touch too...

i doubt this is true but it should be possible...
Old 5th December 2007
Gear Maniac

I've got a jailbroken iPhone - so let me know when you get this thing running w/Logic 8 and I'll check it out for ya
Old 5th December 2007
Gear maniac

To Cool! I would love to see this for plugins! hehhehheh
Old 5th December 2007
Hey I have an I phone and this is f*cking awesome.
Great idea.

Only thing is I would do the apple sdk thing
apple is releasing February that
allows 3rd party apps.
Cause the so far with each apple update
all "unauthorized" 3rd party apps are fried.....
Old 6th December 2007
Gear nut

I swear it's real and would be glad to give all you guys the software to help test it out.
I need the help!

The thing is I need you to sign a NDA first because this **** was hard to do and I want to actually sell this software once Apple lets me. I need to protect it while it isn't finished. It does a bunch more than I can show you in that screen shot- tutt

It will be cheap when I release the software (assuming apple lets me) so don't get mad at me for charging money for it-- beta testers naturally get the software free.

The reason that the video looks a little fake is that there are both bugs in the software and the user (me!)... I wasn't hitting that tiny freaking fader control (which makes me think I should make it bigger)...the fader won't move unless you hit it exactly and I was looking at the camera not the iPhone. So think what you will- if I could retouch that many frames and make it look that good I would have a different job!! [I actually started out doing image retouching on main frames but never video]... btw, the fader is much easier to hit in the latest version of the software....

I'll do another video soon (with close ups) but by that point you will have the code to test for yourselves and won't care anymore because you will have become used-to controlling ProTools from your iPhone- life will slow down at that point and all the colors will saturate.

alex
Old 6th December 2007
Gear nut

It works on the iPod touch and the reason "why" you would want this (at least for me): by the time I have gotten up and walked over to my console 10 times to adjust the levels, I no longer want to play music. This stupid software allows me to control my rig from the drums or my guitar setup and hopefully keep the music flowing. Of course I haven't had a second to try this as I'm still banging out the code to finish this puppy up.

Finally, I intend this stuff to use the Apple sanctioned SDK when it comes out. In the meantime this has all been reverse engineered and not so easy if I must admit that. I'm looking for a few good honest folks to help out and test the code.

cheers!
alex
Old 6th December 2007
Gear nut

VERY cool! If I didn't have a Tranzport I'd be all over this.
Old 6th December 2007
Lives for gear

unreal!!
Old 6th December 2007
Gear nut

I have a Tranzport which is what inspired me to write this software. I can't get far enough away with my tranzport and it doesn't have touch sensitive faders! :( Not to mention the UI on the tranzport is 2 lines and certainly not in color - plug - ...

I was thinking it would be cool to support their plugin architecture so that I could support the same DAWs as they do on my iPhone (they support them all it seems). I don't think I can distribute their code but I could probably tell people where to get it!

One more thing: Folks that are interested in beta testing: please send me your full name and address for the NDA. sorry for the formality.
Old 6th December 2007
Gear nut

ProRemote video teaser update

Okay, I updated the video for those in doubt, hope this helps you believe this sh*t is for real.

ProRemote v0.0.1

alex
Old 6th December 2007
Wow! i want a iphone nowwwwww!
Old 6th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfoinc View Post
Okay, I updated the video for those in doubt, hope this helps you believe this sh*t is for real.

ProRemote v0.0.1

alex
Holy Crap, that's friggin cool!!!

I have an iPhone and Pro Tools but don't quite understand this "jailbroken" thing.
Old 6th December 2007
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football View Post
Holy Crap, that's friggin cool!!!

I have an iPhone and Pro Tools but don't quite understand this "jailbroken" thing.
Me neither. I as well have and iPhone and Pro Tools. I don't understand the Jailbroken thing as well. Could someone explain please?

Thanx

M2E
Old 6th December 2007
Here for the gear

I'm using an ipod touch to surf GS at the moment and am pretty interested in testing that app as well. Please put me on the list of betatesters.

"jailbreak" is another term for cracked-allowing ppl to bypass restrictions placed by Apple.
Old 6th December 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Me neither. I as well have and iPhone and Pro Tools. I don't understand the Jailbroken thing as well. Could someone explain please?

Thanx

M2E
Sorry about that: a jailbroken phone is a phone that can run 3rd party software. The jailbreak is a reference to a Unix term that was tweaked by the iPhone community. Technically: a phone that isn't chroot jailed to /Media
Non-technically: a phone that runs 3rd party apps.

There are tutorials online on how to "jailbreak" your iPhone. Once you do this you can install all sorts of applications and games for the iPhone- it doesn't "unlock" the radio on the phone, just opens it up to new applications. Eventually Apple will release an SDK for the iPhone that lets us install apps on phones that aren't jailbroken. That will happen hopefully sometime next year.

alex
Old 6th December 2007
Lives for gear

Awesome. Sorry for the disbelief at first. It's freaking cool that you've got this going. I've just seen SOOOOOOO many fake apple products, screenshots, claims, pieces of software, etc. I remember someone making a video of OS X running on an iPod or something silly like that.

Very cool.
Old 6th December 2007
Lives for gear

you got a winner there alex, good luck and the best of fortunes with apple. Awesome new video too, it speaks for it self.
Old 6th December 2007
Gear maniac

Count me in on that for Cubendo/ and reaper. what are the chances for a transport control in there as well?

-geoff
Old 6th December 2007
Lives for gear

check out remote buddy
Products > Remote Buddy > iPhone™ / iPod® Touch // IOSPIRIT - fueling creative minds worldwide ..

i use it to succesfully remote logic with my touch.

maybe protools works too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search