The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Michael Jackson Recording in the studio Modular Synthesizers
Old 13th December 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
I hate to be negative. Just understand I dont mean this personal but I have an opinion.

I never understood MJ worship. When his records came out while I was in High School not one person with any concept of themselves liked him. Little nerds did.heh Just another shallow pop star with nothing to say. Same as today, who buys pop records today? You know the type. I dont equate success with substance.. He had a very cool voice as a child but what he's doing there is weak. Lets no pretend what he's doing there is hard..thats just silly
Well for starters, you can read Dave Way's post above yours. If that doesn't give you a clue as to why MJ is not a 'shallow pop star' then there's probably nothing anyone here can do to convince you otherwise. It's your loss.
Old 13th December 2007
outofphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by longfade View Post
If that doesn't give you a clue as to why MJ is not a 'shallow pop star' then there's probably nothing anyone here can do to convince you otherwise.
Well I guess he is a kids 'swallow pop star'. heh
Old 14th December 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase View Post
Well I guess he is a kids 'swallow pop star'. heh
Cute.
Old 14th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by longfade View Post
Well for starters, you can read Dave Way's post above yours. If that doesn't give you a clue as to why MJ is not a 'shallow pop star' then there's probably nothing anyone here can do to convince you otherwise. It's your loss.
dang. i don't understand how you can knock micheal. clearly an incredible voice. incredible performer. incredible dancer. incredible jerry curls!
Old 14th December 2007
man that makes me want to record stacks on everything... too bad most singers can't perform that consistently
Old 14th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase View Post
So are you saying I'm wrong?
Old 14th December 2007
outofphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart View Post
So are you saying I'm wrong?
NO!!

I agree with you, this guy is a [email protected]&ing freak.

Old 14th December 2007
Lives for gear

Legend!!!
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Just stumbled on this, Bruce Swedien talks about 'depth perception' and specifically the technique seen in the MJ clip here:

Stereo Tips from Bruce Swedien
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Just stumbled on this, Bruce Swedien talks about 'depth perception' and specifically the technique seen in the MJ clip here:

Stereo Tips from Bruce Swedien
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

So its just me who watched that and thought... OK now lets hear it without the gazillion EFX on the voice. Lets actually hear him singing flat into a mic?/ I've seen the Brit version of the making of the Band Aid song and boy can you tell the one's who need reverb...
Old 3rd January 2008
I remember a friend that was working in the same studio when BAD was recorded. MJ got so big in the head that they would lock everyone into the control rooms whenever he went to the can so no one would "mistakenly" be out in the hallway when His Majesty was walking to the bathroom.

He would make for an interesting subject in a medical/mental health study. Probably more fasinating than the Elephant Man.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

I watched the YouTube version of the finished video. The comments section is amazing and disturbing...there are people who do not know who Springsteen, Daryl Hall, Kenny Loggins, Steve Perry, etc. are. I guess it's been 22 years since then, but I would think their influence and legacy would not have skipped a generation just yet.

The again, T-Pain could deliver the mail and Sugarland could paint my house and I would not know it. Unfortunately, I would recognize Spears' shaved delivery womb.

I'm not sure it necessarily sucks to be getting older!
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Nut

Michael is talented. You can feel it in this video.

There is an unspoken ease to how he delivers what the producers want.
Something about the subtle details of his vibrato and his dynamics (catch the swell in "We are"-every time, the break in the first "brighter"...), how his body and voice playfully having fun with the rhythm.

Yet he's dead serious about what he's doing.

I learned so much from watching this, I actually laughed out loud. To think, before watching this I thought Michael was an adored pop star with some talent and a whole lot of hype.

Its no coincidence that this guy and the people around him made one of the best selling albums of all time.

Damn.
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveway View Post
I've been lucky enough to have recorded vocals with Michael a number of times. Always amazing but I'll always remember the first time...
We had just finished tracking the music to the song "Remember The Time" (appropriately enough). Inspired to get to work, Michael asked if he could sing the hook, which was all that was written of the lyrics at that point and he went out and sang the first chorus, first note (melody).
Now, the producer (Teddy Riley) and I were in the habit of singing the chorus once with all it's parts and then flying it in to the other choruses. So when the first chorus was finished I stopped the tape and Michael, startled by this said "Why'd you stop?" to which we explained the flying in etc. He said "Well, I'd just like to sing each part all the way through". So we went back, started the song from the beginning and watched Michael sing each note and harmony, double it, triple it and then maybe quadruple (I can't remember) - each time singing it perfectly, vibratos perfectly matched, perfectly in tune, rhythmically dead on knowing exactly what he wanted to do the whole time.
We were done with all the hooks faster than if I'd have flown them in. Flawless.

That was day 1.
Thanks for this post daveway.

To me your story illustrates how craftmanship and technology influence each other. Technology seduces us by making life easier and more convenient, but sometimes it costs us connection to our craft.

MJ got oldschool on y'all and and refused to abandon the work ethic that made him who he was, even though it would mean an easier session for him.

Nice.
Old 4th January 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Cloud View Post
Does anyone know if the verb we heard is outboard, or the room sound? Of course its not printed, but just was curious.
Quote:
reverb used on the Drums for the Michael Jackson song "Thriller"?

Originally Posted by msrecprod
Does anyone know what reverb was used on the Drums (Snare in particular) for the Michael Jackson song "Thriller" ?
Quote:
I think someone got it here.... It was a Jim Cunningham Ecoplate. It was especially made for me by Jim though. It sounded incredible!

Anyone want to know what happened to it???

Bruce Swedien
It doesn't answer the question entirely, but it's a clue. That thread is still in residence here.
Old 4th January 2008
Jax
Lives for gear

The way MJ keeps moving away from the microphone is a poignant, ironic metaphor for what happened to his career. Sad.
Old 4th January 2008
Lives for gear

Why is everyone so surprised at him moving away from the mic?

I learned to do this in the early '80s when tracking vocalists doing sings for radio IDs.
It is a common thing if you know what your doing!
It keeps the freqs. from lining up exactly wich causes all kinds of beat frequencies.
If the vocalist does an OD and doesn't move you get wierd phase cancelations from tiny head movements and the tiny speed anamolies inherent to analog tape.

Also, he knows how to match the parts because he has probebly rehearsed the parts on his own. He knew what he as going to sing and he sertianly knows his own voice.
I didn't see anything surprising there.
It's just knowing your voice.

You wanna' know what surprised me?

He doesn't support the end of his phrases with much air.
The vibrato kind of trails off un-evenly.
He matched it, but he had to try a few times.
I guess it was his style.
Kinda' weak-ish (OH, you can't say that about Michael!)
You can't call it a powerful performance can you?

The other thing is that when he is singing straight through in the back half of the video his pitching is only so-so.
Today, they'd auto-tune or Melodyne the F*CK out of that track!
Those wiggly, airey vibratos would be gone, GONE, GONE!!!!

He does have a style and that is what works so well,
The entire package.

The outfit and his whole demeanor means that he came to the session ready to perform and be "Michael Jackson."
If wearing those jacket, pants, shoes, SUNGLASSES (ahem) are what it takes to do his thing, then so be it.
It's better than showing up in burmuda shorts and a Dodgers T-shirt with sandals.

A Jim Cunningham Ecoplate huh?
I have bene talking to Mr. Cunningham about re-building my Echoplate.
Hmmmmm......????

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search