The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tips on micing a fingerstyle guitar and voc needed
Old 2nd December 2007
Lives for gear

Tips on micing a fingerstyle guitar and voc needed

I'd be very grateful for any tips or tricks on microphone techniques for recording someone who's fingerpicking acoustic guitar(small body) and singing at the same time.

Thanks in advance
Old 2nd December 2007
Gear Nut

Hi,

take two figure 8 mics (pref. ribbons), point mic (a) at source (a) with null aiming at source (b) and vice versa.

Clarence
Old 2nd December 2007
Lives for gear

IME, I've had the best luck using a single mic for these situations. Last time I had to do this I used a single Neumann M49 in omni, and it came out great. Of course the room we were in at the time as absolutely amazing.

Just move it around till you get a good blend between the voice and the guitar.
Old 25th December 2007
Lives for gear

thank you.....I check it out!
Old 26th December 2007
Gear Maniac

depends....are there more instruments in the track or is this just a "stripped" type song. if it is stand alone with those two tracks i would say 2 SDC's on the guitar (one on the picking fingers and one at the 12 fret). Put a ribbon on the voice. Throw up an LDC six or eight feet back and get some room. hope that helps!
Old 26th December 2007
Lives for gear

sdc - omni or card

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwatch5805 View Post
depends....are there more instruments in the track or is this just a "stripped" type song. if it is stand alone with those two tracks i would say 2 SDC's on the guitar (one on the picking fingers and one at the 12 fret). Put a ribbon on the voice. Throw up an LDC six or eight feet back and get some room. hope that helps!
About using sdc on guitars... I have the oktava's 012... and I can choose omni, card or hyper-card... what would you suggest? When using 2, card? When using one omni (so you don't get the boomy prox. effect)?

Sorry for taking this thread.

thanks,

m
Old 26th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by miqer View Post
About using sdc on guitars... I have the oktava's 012... and I can choose omni, card or hyper-card... what would you suggest? When using 2, card? When using one omni (so you don't get the boomy prox. effect)?

Sorry for taking this thread.

thanks,

m
i think you are right on miqer. it could be fun to experiment with the 2 mic scenario with both in omni and try to find a cool sweet spot.
Old 26th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
Hi,

take two figure 8 mics (pref. ribbons), point mic (a) at source (a) with null aiming at source (b) and vice versa.

Clarence
I have had some really good and success with this technique. The seperation is quite remarkable.
Old 27th December 2007
I've done it with 2 KM184's and a Peluso 2247. I used an IBP on the 2247, it worked great and got a nice stereo thingy happening with the guitar
Old 27th December 2007
While you might want to experiment with two mics on the guitar and one on vocal, I'm afraid you're likely to get more phase wash out than you'd like. It may be easier to get a good sound with one on the guitar and one on the vocal.

That said, I do a lot of informal acoustic guitar and vocal recording (typically fingerpicked) and I've ended up using one mic for vocal and guitar place an appropriate distance away to let the guitar and vocal blend as well as to allow for variations in playing position if the artist moves around much.

The movement of the artist (which is often me) as he plays can be problematic if the mics are close -- as is often the case with a two mic setup, as you try to get the mics close enough to their source to not get washed out by the other source.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search