The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"the way the music died" - on pbs Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 1st June 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: another chick singer...

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
seems some people cant handle the fact that the almighty dollar has replaced the almight god and then wonder why things fail.
I'm not a big advocate of removing "in god we trust" from the dollar....I think it means theres bad things to come....but this isn't a religious forum so I'll not start a debate about it. Please don't flame me..

Actually the reason I wanted to post was to ask how many re:'s we can get in the subject line?

Mother of pearl......
Old 1st June 2004
Lives for gear

we should not rely so much on symbols when expressing thoughts or discussing culture. they get too often slanted and hijacked..
in fact I'm not amused that there are so many artists that I can't listen to in mainstream radio and tv, but surely would like them, but others make more money.
I hope that all these independent musicians portal websites will exist for many more years... (e.g. iuma)
but its cumbersome.
Old 1st June 2004
Lives for gear

Hey Alpha, I get what you mean now re: The Almighty Dollar == GOD. And now having watched the show I think that about sums it up perfectly. Not being in the industry I found it pretty disturbing to watch. Yeah I've read about all of these problems but to actually see these clueless A&R and management people saying the things they did It was almost too much to take.

My favorite bit was some executive placing all of the blame squarely on downloading then cut to Outkast's manager saying how they sold 8 million albums and basically "if you make good music people will buy it." He seemed like a refreshing voice of reason in a sea of corporate bull****.
Old 1st June 2004
There is only one

thats only what i meant... and it confuses me that religious people get offended at that statement rather than support it and try to change it. its pretty well written that no other image shall come before GOD. yet we have created a society whose direction towards fame and fortune has certainly wandered from any sort of spiritual enlightenment [the basis upon the creation of music]

its certainly the greatest mistake this country made associating the governmental body with the christian GOD. the full acceptance on our coins and paper happened about the time of the cold war in retaliation to the godless society of communism, along with adding 'one nation under god' to the pledge.

the whole concept of america was to get AWAY from a singular religion and create a society for ALL religions, but we hosed that concept too.
Old 1st June 2004
Lives for gear

Alpha- Even though your last post had nothing to do with the topic (half the posts don't)
I fully agree with you. The mixing of god and commerce is antithetical to what this country was designed for.
peace,
chap
Old 1st June 2004
Lives for gear

it began with quite a good sentence:
if you work hard, and eventually get wealthy, god has a good eye on you and your work is appreciated.
but then wealthy people began to say: look at my wealth, god is with me! but about how they made it, focus was lost. just too easy to say, the wealthy are the good...
but it is a good way to trust in god by doing real, meaningful work (which was much more easy when farming and to build railway were the most popular work), and keeping focus on the actual result of this responsible work, better than to accumulate wealth, no matter what you do to get it.
so I can understand the critizism about trusting in god when touching a coin. but its only a symbol, and symbols don't help if people forget to think what the basic meaning of it was.
competition is no more good if it takes away opportunities from others, and puts them into poverty. well, it's just not cool anymore to say "enough". stronger, better, faster, without any ends..
so you have one winner, but we make zillions of losers by this way of thinking. but democracy is about majority?!

back to making music, I think all this can apply.
doing the best for music, rather than following the habits of marketing and corporate oligopoly, should still be a chance to survive and eventually have success, that lasts longer.
Old 1st June 2004
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoVXR
back to making music, I think all this can apply.
doing the best for music, rather than following the habits of marketing and corporate oligopoly, should still be a chance to survive and eventually have success, that lasts longer.
exactly... my post might seem OT, but the topic is right there.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search