The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I have a question dealing with mp3's
Old 29th November 2007
Gear Nut

I have a question dealing with mp3's

This is probably a n00bish question, but anywho... After everything is mastered and ready to be put on cd, is it the norm to convert it to mp3? Or is there another file format that is used that goes on the final master disc. Becasue when I convert to mp3 it sounds like sh**. Thanks in advance..
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

I think you've answered your own question.
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

LMAO welcome to the new generation of High Definition Audio

I think what he said should be used as the new marketing slogan for I-tunes

"is there another file format that is used that goes on the final master disc. Becasue when I convert to mp3 it sounds like sh**"

But no a Master is 24 bit 44.1 and they dither down to 16 / 44.1 you can use different encoders that sound a little different... there are several schools of thought...

LAME is a really good encoder so is Fraunhoffer. Make sure you stay with a hig Bit rate if you are going for quality 320 Kbps is good so is 256 but nothing less than 192 or you start losing alot of information
Old 29th November 2007
Gear Addict

I would add that with lame you can avoid dithering and keep 24 or 32 bits. Internally lame works at 32 bfp.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search