The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Drum tom heads for recording
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Best Drum tom heads for recording

I like a nice bassy tom sound and i'm getting sick of my Evans 2 ply heads...I hear there are some nice coated toms that sound really nice. Any opinions?
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Depends on the type of attack you want to hear ..bright, or not so bright.
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Warm Toms ...Fresh From the Evans

Have you tried these? I like the sound of them...but I am also the Artist Relations guy for D'Addario/Planet Waves/Evans, so keep that in mind. That said, I was a fan before I got the gig.
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

In the studio, I only like the Evans G1's clear, or the Remo Ambassadors Coated. To me, any 2 ply head is too thick for recording.
Druhms
Old 29th November 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by heisleyamor View Post
I like a nice bassy tom sound and i'm getting sick of my Evans 2 ply heads...I hear there are some nice coated toms that sound really nice. Any opinions?

Are you serious?
EVERY drum head is right for something.
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podgorny View Post
Are you serious?
EVERY drum head is right for something.
Indeed.

heisleyamor, you're going to need to experiment. Nobody can answer this question for you. Way too many variables.

Before you even swap heads, spend some more time tuning... top AND bottom heads. You'd be surprised at what you can achieve when you really push the envelope with what you HAVE. Then, at that point, you may either find the sound you want, or will come to the conclusion that you need either a "thinner" or "thicker" head.

With good drums, good technique and proper tuning, one can yield a full killer sound with almost any head. Generally though, you can't go too wrong if you go for a medium weight head... not too heavy, not too light... I'm digging Remo clear Emperors lately, they (in conjunction with the drums) are giving me all the frequency response I'd ever need... plenty of attack and plenty of beef.

For less attack (and thus more "bass"), you could try something heavier... like a Pinstripe. But... it all depends heavily on your drums and HOW you play.

Again.... experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka gimli View Post
Have you tried these?
Actually, good suggestion. I was at a rehearsal studio recently that had Evans EC1 Coated heads on the drums.... they indeed had a "warmer" response, more "rubbery"... and "less sharp" than most Remo heads. I happen to prefer "sharp" for what I do though. Just a matter of taste, musical style, etc. It's all good.
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

REMO coated emperor on top with clear ambassador work great on my kits
in the studio.........
Old 29th November 2007
Don't underestimate the bottom head. It makes a waaay bigger difference than most folks give credit. They're responsible for the projection and lots of the volume; if you're a "big drum sound guy", you need to look out for those bottom heads. I like to combine vibrant (ie - thin, single ply, and un coated) bottom heads with "thumpier" top heads (coated ambassadors and emperors, pinstripes, and the like). Pinstripes can sound pretty 2-dimensional, but are totally foolproof when it comes to tuning. Emperors can be finicky, but they're good and loud, so your room mics'll pick em up nice.

Be a bit more specific on what ya like, and I can give you a response with greater detiail.
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

For my starclassics the magic combo for recording is coated g2 on the top and clear g1 on the bottom. Works everytime!!
Old 29th November 2007
Gear Guru

I'll use whatever works for a particular drum and recording situation..
sometimes every drum has a different head combo.
so long as the drums sing and sound good together,there ain't no rules.
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like coated Emperors, they have a very nice tone. But as said, spend time tuning.
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by by-tor View Post
For my starclassics the magic combo for recording is coated g2 on the top and clear g1 on the bottom. Works everytime!!
I used these on another kit over the weekend for the first time (g2's on top, g1's on the bottom).

In a reasonably live studio I could see them being useful but otherwise they struck me as a little too dead for my liking. I definitely wouldn't put them on a birch shell. I would be interested in trying the uncoated G2's on a maple shell.
Old 29th November 2007
SRS
Lives for gear

My current setup on my DW birch set is Evans EC2 coated on tops of the toms and Clear Resonant on the bottoms. 12 inch and 16 inch toms. The snare (Ludwig Black Beauty) currently has a Remo coated ambassador on it. Often it has an Evans G2 Coated on top. Various other snares have various heads. But for toms, the Evans EC2 coated or EC2 Clears on top and G2 Clear Resonants on bottoms...

Drum heads are like candy... everyone has their favorite, and depending on the time of day and what you previously ate, will have infinitely different flavors at any given moment.

List format:
Ludwig Black Beauty 14 inch Snare= Evans G2 Coated top
DW Kurillian Birch 12 inch Tom= EC2 Coated or Clear top and G2 resonant Clear bottom
DW Kurillian birch 16 inch Tom= Same combo as 12 inch Tom
Old 29th November 2007
I hate evans heads, usually when drummers bring a kit in with them they sound like pizza boxes, especially the kick. I like remo ambassadors and emporer heads. If they need muffling I do the muffling
Old 29th November 2007
Gear Addict

well, for me, the Evans EC2 heads sound GREAT on my toms. I play an Ayotte kit with a 10" tom and 14" floor tom and they sound superb. They're definitely worth a try.
Old 29th November 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I hate evans heads, usually when drummers bring a kit in with them they sound like pizza boxes, especially the kick. I like remo ambassadors and emporer heads. If they need muffling I do the muffling
Actually, that's funny. I hate Evans heads too, except for the ones I just raved about.heh

Not a g1 or g2 fan at all, especially for snare. Sounds thwappy to my ears (if thwappy is an accepted description).

I like ambassadors on snare and (if you want something more traditional) coated emperor or pinstripes on the toms. Aquarian Super Kick 2 is good for some kicks too.
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

On my Starclassic Performer I love coated g2's on top, and clear g1's on bottom.
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

FWIW i used suede heads from remo on my last recording and it was the best tom sound I ever got. Fyberskin is the same way. I used a pinstripe on my snare sounded great (but is is a 12" snare) and some sort of coated thick kick drum head, no front head. All clear 1ply from the bottom heads
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by by-tor View Post

+1 thumbsup

Works for me (my kit is a Pearl Masters 6ply Birch)
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

If the drummer doesnt know wich heads to use, then you have a problem.
Old 12th December 2007
Gear Addict

I just put the EC1 coated heads on my kit son of a b-tch do they sound great,I have a tama star classic set had the bearing edges cut sharp and wow love it .
Old 12th December 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
EC1 coated bro ,toms will rock,ps Todd
Old 12th December 2007
Gear Guru

e-mad for kick
Remo coated for toms
High energy snare
Old 13th December 2007
Gear Maniac

remo

toms:
batter- coated ambassador
resonant- clear ambassador

kick:
batter- powerstroke III
resonant- ambassador kick

snare head changes a bit for me, but this is a no fail setup on my maple custom absolute kit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search