The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using the Duet with external effects?
Old 28th November 2007
Lives for gear

Using the Duet with external effects?

Ok, so I am looking at the Ensemble and thinking how it would be nice to send a cable out of one analog output into an FX pedal or something and back into an analog input, but how does one accomplish this with the Duet?

I assume you could send it out the monitor outputs and back in through the instrument ones...

if I were to do this, would there be a quality issue or problems picking up noise due to both the instrment inputs and the monitor outs being unbalanced (or is that how it is on the ensemble too?)

also, is there a level difference between the two?
Old 28th November 2007
well, the ensemble has insert points that you can patch in effects before the AD converters, so thats where I put an effect. The Duet doesn't have inserts which is sort of a bummer. You would just run the effects after the outputs and run it back in. Wouldn't be a problem.
Old 28th November 2007
Lives for gear

If you want to put a guitar pedal on the outputs of a DAW consider using a reamping device before the pedal.
Old 28th November 2007
Lives for gear

ultimately i'd like to have some audio (vocals, drums, guitar, bass, synth, piano- whatever) and then set the output to mono and take one of the Duets two outs and route it into a peice of gear, then from the gear into the duet input and record it.

do I need a reamping box for this purpose?

are there any differences in level of the out and in?
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEcho View Post
ultimately i'd like to have some audio (vocals, drums, guitar, bass, synth, piano- whatever) and then set the output to mono and take one of the Duets two outs and route it into a peice of gear, then from the gear into the duet input and record it.

do I need a reamping box for this purpose?

are there any differences in level of the out and in?
the duet has these features built in...you can set the outputs for re-amping and then easily route it back into the instrument inputs

Duet's a great piece of equipment though i haven't used it that much yet
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Wait, the duet can reamp without any external gear???

what level does an fx unit need? isnt it usually instrument level, for something like a metasonix fx box?

isnt the monitor output at line level? can the duet send it out at instrument?
Old 29th November 2007
Gear Nut

"Wait, the duet can reamp without any external gear???"

There was some talk of this on the Duet thread in the New Product forum...I haven't tried it yet.

"isnt the monitor output at line level? can the duet send it out at instrument?"

Just like the line inputs, the line out levels are controlled by the Maestro software. A balanced output level of -10 dBV with variable 0 to -64 dB of attenuation or an Instrument amp level with fixed -20 dBV can be selected.
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

what level does the ensembles analog 1/4" ins and outs run at?

better yet, what is the proper level to use when sending prerecorded audio into outboard gear and back in?
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEcho View Post
Wait, the duet can reamp without any external gear???

what level does an fx unit need? isnt it usually instrument level, for something like a metasonix fx box?

isnt the monitor output at line level? can the duet send it out at instrument?
I don't know anythng about the Duet.

There are 2 things to consider, one is level the other is impedance. Reamp devices match both. Impedance is important to get a good tone if you are feeding a guitar amp. It may be important also feeding a guitar pedal, I don't know, haven't tested that without using a reamp device.

Does the Duet have variable output impedance so it could drive both high and low impedance devices?
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcfarlane View Post
I don't know anythng about the Duet.

There are 2 things to consider, one is level the other is impedance. Reamp devices match both. Impedance is important to get a good tone if you are feeding a guitar amp. It may be important also feeding a guitar pedal, I don't know, haven't tested that without using a reamp device.

Does the Duet have variable output impedance so it could drive both high and low impedance devices?
from the manual - the output

Level
Line out – level is variable between 0 and -64 dB of attenuation, at a nominal output level of –10 dBV.
Instrument Amp – The output level is fixed at a nominal level of –20 dBV, suitable for connection to an instrument amplifier.
Old 26th December 2007
Lives for gear

So I am kind of slow on this topic, does the above post mean that the Duet can act as a reamp box just as good as any?

also, I noticed in the maestro menu's that the levels can be set to pro or consumer then mic and instrument..

should I ever use consumer?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search