The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Improving Pitch? Studio Monitors
Old 28th November 2007
Gear Head

Improving Pitch?

I'm only aware of the David Burge relative and perfect pitch course. Heard great things about it.

Any other courses, websites or other stuff you guys can recommend?
Old 28th November 2007
Gear Guru

Rent a violin or cello (or any other "variable-pitch" instrument) and start taking lessons. I promise your sense of pitch will improve enormously. And you'll have something to show for the effort.

--Ethan
Old 29th November 2007
Would anyone here happen to have a scan of the RAD "Perfect Pitch" ad they used to run in guitar magazines where the guy had the guitar and the awesome hair?

That sure would make a great desktop.
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Melodyne ...
Old 29th November 2007
Gear Guru

I've never understood some peoples desire for perfect pitch. I'm not sure how useful it is. Relative pitch is very necessary. And the effort needed to obtain it, hell you might as well practice an instrument, you'd end up with great relative pitch any way and as Ethan said, you'd have something great to show for it.

A cello, viola is a great idea.
Old 29th November 2007
If you have an opportunity to take Hindustani singing lessons (North or South Indian music), the exercises and rigor of that tradition is about the most expedient path towards really good pitch hearing and singing that I've ever seen. Check your local craigslist, there are teachers all over the country now...

And that's coming from a former sight-singing/musicianship teacher at UC Berkeley...
Old 29th November 2007
Gear Guru

If you live in a city with a symphony orchestra, book a private lesson with the concertmaster (principal violinist) and find out, for instance, why a C# in the key of CMAJ is entirely different from a C# in the key of AMAJ.
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

I noticed my sense of pitch got better when I started to tune vocals. Something about focusing that intently on just the pitch made me more aware of subtle variations.

So I ask you; should we make all singers spend a few weeks with melodyne?
Old 29th November 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
Melodyne ...
Nice try... hehhehhehhehhehhehhehheh
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search