Old 25th May 2004
Lives for gear

..uhm, a little too quick with my fingers,
the hyperlink doesn't work

use copy/paste instead

ruudman
Old 25th May 2004
Lives for gear

Re: How does Robert do his frippertronics?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hiwatt
I know a revox is involved somehow...
2 Revoxes, separated by several feet, recording on one with the tape stretching across the space and playing back on the other, with regeneration, creating stacks of long delays.

-R
Old 26th May 2004
Lives for gear

The origignal setup used Revox tape decks. Later version were based around the Electro-Harmonix 16 second DDL's.
Old 28th October 2004
Gear Addict

Yes, the Electro-Harmonix 16 second delay is a very nice unit. I have an original for sale....
Old 28th October 2004
Gear Nut

the last time i saw rf --- we were in japan, together, in '99? '00? --- he was using a few tc2290's;
of course, he may have been using them solely for pragmatic purposes --- i didn't ask --- vis a vis the logistics of touring.....
otoh, if your interest in looping is more about application than history:
there are quite a few tools available for the modern loopist;
you might want to check out the loopers-delight website, as ruudman already suggested, for much info.
dt / spltrcl
Old 28th October 2004
Gear Nut

Yep, he's all digital now. My partner in my studio recorded him in the twin towers a few years ago for WNYC, before the towers fell. Nice 24 bit DAT recording with a direct feed from Fripp's effects/delay units and a Calrec stereo mic in the room. The 24 bit original sounds great, but so did the broadcast.

Damon
Old 28th October 2004
Gear Guru

Quote:
Frippertronics was 2 Revoxes

Soundscapes is based on TC 2290 delays and Eventide, primarily

But "how" he does it is another question. The short answer ... commitment and courage.
Old 28th October 2004
Gear Nut

fripp at the twin towers

Quote:
Originally posted by TriTone Digital
Yep, he's all digital now. My partner in my studio recorded him in the twin towers a few years ago for WNYC, before the towers fell. Nice 24 bit DAT recording with a direct feed from Fripp's effects/delay units and a Calrec stereo mic in the room. The 24 bit original sounds great, but so did the broadcast.

Damon
I heard a brief snippet of this performance a while back and it did sound great. There was a rumor that DGM would be releasing the performance on CD, but I guess they never got around to it.
Old 28th October 2004
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by splattercell
the last time i saw rf --- we were in japan, together, in '99? '00?
dt / spltrcl
dt,

I saw you with Bruford/Levin in Boston a few years ago and loved your playing and looping. Your Cloud About Mercury CD continues to impress. Keep up the good work.

Tom
Old 28th October 2004
Gear Nut

Re: fripp at the twin towers

Quote:
Originally posted by drummertom
I heard a brief snippet of this performance a while back and it did sound great. There was a rumor that DGM would be releasing the performance on CD, but I guess they never got around to it.
Yeah, it does sound great, hard to make a beautful performance like that sound bad, but the engineer was also top notch My partner Scott is really one of the best around, period.

They really should release it as it was a great soundscapes performance in a building that's no longer around.

D
Old 28th October 2004
Gear Guru

Splattercell is Torn? Cool. Cloud About Mercury I like. I saw you in Chico several years ago with Bruford.
Old 28th October 2004
Lives for gear

From "soundscapes"

"In soundscapes, the REVOX tape recorders have been replaced by TC2290. These units allow a max of 64 seconds delay... snip....robert fripp uses 4 of these units so that different phrases can be played in different machines and cycle over a different period of time...
Old 28th October 2004
Gear Head

Quote:

If you have a VST host, try this freeware

Andrés

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search