The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Genelec 8030A or Adam A7 Studio Monitors
View Poll Results: Which monitor do you think is better?
Genelec 8030A
3 Votes - 23.08%
Adam A7
10 Votes - 76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st November 2007
Lives for gear

Genelec 8030A or Adam A7

Has anyone compared the Genelec 8030A to the Adam A7? Which one is best for dance music?
Old 23rd November 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Phoenix View Post
Has anyone compared the Genelec 8030A to the Adam A7? Which one is best for dance music?
I have and have chosen Genelecs but that doesn't mean much. You need to audition them yourself. They are both very good but quite different in the way they sound. If you chose either you will probably miss the lowest octave. Among other stuff I listen to trance and wish my Genelecs would go a bit lower. Otherwise they are great.
Old 23rd November 2007
Gear Addict

Will you be using a sub?
Old 23rd November 2007
Lives for gear

No, maybe in the future.
Old 23rd November 2007
Lives for gear

If possible, you should go demo them both. The ADAM monitors will have a totally different sound than the Genelec's, with the ribbon vs. metal tweeters. It is really just a matter of preference, both pairs are great for the cost. I personally prefer the Genelec sound over the ADAM's, but that is just me.
Old 23rd November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumkideric View Post
If possible, you should go demo them both. The ADAM monitors will have a totally different sound than the Genelec's, with the ribbon vs. metal tweeters. It is really just a matter of preference, both pairs are great for the cost. I personally prefer the Genelec sound over the ADAM's, but that is just me.
Thanks for the info. Although, I wish I could reference between the two. I have called around and no one has a demo of the Adam A7 or Genelec 8030A. I'm looking for the best monitors to mix dance/pop music. I have narrowed my decision down to these two monitors.
Old 23rd November 2007
Jai guru deva om

The 8030 will certainly provide a more crisp top end response, the ADAM would be somewhat dark by comparison. I don't have the two set up side by side right now, but have had both setup to check out to sort of learn their characteristics at different times. The Genelec is certainly a more familiar sound with a dome tweeter like most speakers have, and there is a very tight sound going on with that aluminum cabinet. The low end is surprisingly deep and clear.

The ADAM have a more specific sound to them, those ribbon tweeters have a nice depth to them without being bright but it's going to likely be a more "learned" thing vs the Genelec 8030. The ADAM (again going a bit off memory and not directly compared) strike me as a more mid-forward speaker with a nice depth that tells you a lot of FRONT TO BACK INFO (in other words, if the tambourine track is .4dB hot the A7 do a great job of telling you it's a bit OUT of the mix).

"Better" is subjective, both have their strengths. From a standpoint of overall all purpose use and lower learning curve (remember, any decent speaker / room can be learned and dealt with) the 8030 likely edge out the A7 a bit. I hate to even go there as both speakers really are nice in their own way.

Please take this with a grain of salt, or a spoonful. Maybe someone else here will agree with me, or not! Monitors are the most personal choice one can make, the toughest of all to sort out in an internet forum especially.

War
Old 7th March 2008
Lives for gear

I compared both and got 8030A because they sounds more natural for me. bass was way batter and midrange full. I missed some lower mids with A7 which caused that they sounded thin in the middle (vocals, snares, guitars)
Old 7th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook View Post
I compared both and got 8030A because they sounds more natural for me. bass was way batter and midrange full. I missed some lower mids with A7 which caused that they sounded thin in the middle (vocals, snares, guitars)
I find the complete opposite in the low mids. This should pretty much
sew it up, that these things are totally subjective.
It all depends on the room they're in and the listener.

You can use dixie cups and string for monitors, as long as your mixes
sound great, that's all that matters.
T
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search