The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Diference btw dbx 166 and 266
Old 19th November 2002
Diference btw dbx 166 and 266

Sorry guys, I'm a little confused... what are the differences btw them?
Old 19th November 2002
Gear Maniac

The 266xl is an entry level unit, it has an entirely different input circuit and VCA from the rest of the line. It is our cheapest compressor, uh, I mean most inexpensive.

The 166xl is designed more for live use, it has the PeakStop brickwall limiter. The compressor section is the same as the 1066 and the 1046, the limiter is what sets it apart.
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

I am suprised the 166 and the 1066 have the same compressor. The 166 'sounds' better to me. I forget how we ended up with those two compressors . . . . they hardly ever get used, but if they do, I find the 166 to have a cleaner sound then the 166. Though the 1066 has a sound that works with certain mid ranges. At least that is what I seem to hear from the two we have. The 1066 seems to sound a tad 'bigger'. Neither one knock me out, but I find uses for them on some complex mixes.
Old 19th November 2002
Gear Maniac

You might be confusing the 166 and the 166xl. The 166xl and the 1066 have identical input circuits and VCA's. However, the old blackface 166 does not. It has the "tin can" VCA's.

I have a 166 and it definitely has more in common with a 160VU than with a 166xl. I would describe the older blackface 166's as more colored than a 166xl. It has more "character," while the 166xl is more vanilla. I often use the blackface 166 to round out direct guitar tracks because of that coloration.

Truth be told, the 166xl is actually more of a live compressor because of that brickwall PeakStop limiter. When it goes into limit it is an awesome protection circuit, but it sounds terrible. Where the PeakStop+ limiter on the 1066 is way more smooth.

I'm not sure if I cleared up any confusion, or made it worse
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

yea . . it's an old black 166. Thanks for your input. Maybe that is why the 1066 doesn't impress me much.
Old 19th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Yeah, the 1066 is one of those compressors that is just kinda "there." It's a great workhorse, but it's not gonna make you curl your toes. This reminds me of a great story that our Artist Relations guy likes to tell.

He was at (insert well known studio here) with (insert well known engineer here) who was raving about this new electro-optical compressor he had. He was saying "you guys have got to make something like this baby, it's awesome." "We used it on the last part of this chorus on this single, and it just lifted the part right out of the mix." Our Artist Relations guy then noticed that the engineer had 4 dbx 160a's in his rack so he asked him what he used those on. "Oh, everything else," he replied.

I think that's dbx in a nutshell, ya know? yuktyy
Old 12th March 2003
I just got a 166 blackface working perfectly for around $70 american dollars... what a deal... I love it... I really do...
The only thing is, it's missing the rackmount "ears"... do you guys know where I can get those? I want my new toy to be perfect installed in my rack...
Old 12th March 2003
Gear Maniac

Try contacting Musicians Service Center 408 297 7532 they have a bunch of older dbx parts.
Old 14th March 2003
Here for the gear

Hey Tom,

It sounds like you don't really like the sound of the 166xl....I have two of them and love em...I use them for recording and for compressing drums they work fantastic...

Just my 2 cents..

God Bless!
Old 16th March 2003
Well, I love me 166 black face!!!
Old 16th March 2003
Gear Addict
I still have a 1066 in the rack. Although I don't use it much it has a certain sound to it that is unique. When that time comes for that sound it gets patched in. Same reason behind keeping the joe meek. Sometimes its just too dam hard to part with something even though you might only grab it once in 2 years. Gearslut pack rat.
Old 16th March 2003
Gear Head

Cram, you might be happy to know then that I have a rack full of DBX compression at a large club that I parked my PA at. 2 x 1066's, 2x 1064's, 2 x 1074's. I have been really happy with them. They are just as you described them. Neutral. And you are right, the peak plus sounds much nicer. It is far more trannsparent and is invaluable for those up and down singers when reproduced at extremely high volume thresholds.

Oh yeah, the club is in SLC Drop me a line if you ever wanna catch a show. Its club Xscape.
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

I love my 4x160 and the 2x1066, great for HipHop production!

Shoot me but I have to ask the 3 time: Will there be a change in the sound with the transformer options for the 160a/1066 and of what nature will it bÈ?
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear