The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
a 500 form slutz Christmas 500 Series Preamps
View Poll Results: what do you need or want the most?
lunxbox
29 Votes - 17.58%
rack
20 Votes - 12.12%
console
31 Votes - 18.79%
pre
44 Votes - 26.67%
eq
43 Votes - 26.06%
comp
46 Votes - 27.88%
De-esser
6 Votes - 3.64%
other?
17 Votes - 10.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th November 2007
  #1
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
a 500 form slutz Christmas

so what is on the list of Christmas wishes for all our 500 format slutz?
Old 19th November 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
nomatic's Avatar
de-esser

hardware de-esser!!!!!!!!!
Old 19th November 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
malfunction's Avatar
 

Definately a Purple "action" comp, and one more preamp, perhaps a "Biz" or an "Avedis MA5"......
Old 19th November 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Chris's Avatar
I'm not spending money anytime soon on anything other than paying off bills and getting an ATB, but after that my purchases will be the Purple Action comp (maybe two) and then an Avedis MA5.
Old 19th November 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Seeing everything through purple colored glasses this season.
Old 19th November 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
not_so_new's Avatar
Leaning towards getting a rack and a pair of A Designs EM-PEQ's.. thanks to you Pan... you Rat B*stard!

LOL

Just kidding man, your threads about the EM-PEQ makes me want to try one in person there goes another hole in my wallet.

Old 19th November 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
BradM's Avatar
Michael,

Not to dissuade you from getting an EM-PEQ, but you might dig the Hammer more.

Brad
Old 19th November 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
David-Morpheus's Avatar
 

I'll take a purple rack , 2 action comps and 2 speck EQs.
hopefully this christmas
Old 20th November 2007
  #9
Gear Head
 
wanderlust8's Avatar
 

i'm saving (and selling) everything i can to get a post xmas LaChapell tube Pre-EQ 583e! Get it hot rodded with the Jensen/Mullard options, and i'll sleep with it oh so slutty...
Old 20th November 2007
  #10
action
Old 20th November 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Tom H's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
action
Ik ga zo mijn schoen zetten! Past precies
Old 20th November 2007
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Tom H's Avatar
 

Voted other, from what I've seen so far I might really dig the AL.SO stuff!
Old 20th November 2007
  #13
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

All my 500 series racks are full now. heh

MA5's are filling up the last of the empty slots...

I'm moving on to filling up my SSL X-rack now.
Old 20th November 2007
  #14
Lives for gear
 
DanGo's Avatar
 

Yep, Thanks to Avedis and Tony, the holidays came early this year: two Avedis MA5s have booted my (unused) TC Finalizer out of the rack! heh

Of course, that means what I want for the holidays is...um...more work, so I can keep sliding down the primrose path of 500 series addiction!!
Old 20th November 2007
  #15
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGo View Post
Yep, Thanks to Avedis and Tony, the holidays came early this year: two Avedis MA5s have booted my (unused) TC Finalizer out of the rack! heh
I hope you're liking it. The response from everyone who got in on the first run has been overwhelming positive.
Old 20th November 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
 

more action!
Old 20th November 2007
  #17
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
Leaning towards getting a rack and a pair of A Designs EM-PEQ's.. thanks to you Pan... you Rat B*stard!

LOL

Just kidding man, your threads about the EM-PEQ makes me want to try one in person there goes another hole in my wallet.

start savin that money ~
lol
Old 20th November 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
 
not_so_new's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Michael,

Not to dissuade you from getting an EM-PEQ, but you might dig the Hammer more.

Brad
Thanks Brad. So if you don't mind me asking, why would you make that suggestion?

And for the record, I am also thinking getting a Hammer as well. My goal is to use the EM-PEQ for my drum buss (along with a pair of Germ Comps... yum) and a Hammer or an API 5500 for 2 buss.
Old 20th November 2007
  #19
Lives for gear
 
BradM's Avatar
Hi Michael,

Well based on things I've seen you write in other posts about the way you work, what you like to hear, and how much money you have available to spend on gear, I think that you'd just get more mileage out of the Hammer rather than the EM-PEQ. It has a lot more flexibility as far as frequency selection goes so I think it lends itself to a greater variety of applications. If you're like me then you try to buy gear that gets you the most bang for the buck. The Hammer is a howitzer.

Brad
Old 20th November 2007
  #20
Lives for gear
 
not_so_new's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Hi Michael,

Well based on things I've seen you write in other posts about the way you work, what you like to hear, and how much money you have available to spend on gear, I think that you'd just get more mileage out of the Hammer rather than the EM-PEQ. It has a lot more flexibility as far as frequency selection goes so I think it lends itself to a greater variety of applications. If you're like me then you try to buy gear that gets you the most bang for the buck. The Hammer is a howitzer.

Brad
LOL

Very cool Brad, thanks!

So I REALLLY don't want to hyjack the thread on Pan one quick question.... you ever try the Hammer next to the API 5500? Just wondering what would be better in the "vibe" and rock and roll department. I think I am going to have to try both at some point.
Old 20th November 2007
  #21
Gear nut
 

ahhhh. a pair of A Designs P1's would be fabulous!
Old 20th November 2007
  #22
Lives for gear
 
andychamp's Avatar
Neve-ish pres? Done! (GreatRiver, Avedis, OSA)

Pultec-inspired EQs? Done! (A-Designs, JLM)

Now, howzabout some Neve-style EQ?
Old 20th November 2007
  #23
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
LOL

Very cool Brad, thanks!

So I REALLLY don't want to hyjack the thread on Pan one quick question.... you ever try the Hammer next to the API 5500? Just wondering what would be better in the "vibe" and rock and roll department. I think I am going to have to try both at some point.
this is a poll, we can vote, and still chat!
we can chat about what ever you guys want
Old 20th November 2007
  #24
Lives for gear
 
not_so_new's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
this is a poll, we can vote, and still chat!
we can chat about what ever you guys want
Thanks Pan



So this came up in another thread but..... speaking of 500 series stuff. Anyone know how the Shadow Hills 500 pre sounds compared to the GAMA 8? I just don't need to spend that kind of cash on 8 channels of preamps but I wouldn't mind checking out the SH stuff.

That and a P1 might be in my future, what kind of magic fairy dust does Peter use on his gear over there?!?!?! Every time I turn around I hear someone else raving about A Designs stuff. thumbsup
Old 21st November 2007
  #25
Lives for gear
 
DanGo's Avatar
 

Hey Tony,

I just spent the afternoon tracking tons of electric guitars, miking up my Vox AC15 with a Studio Projects C1, my new fave guitar amp mike and using the Avedis MA5... WOWWWWWWWW! I used to use an Avalon VT737 and while it's possible I might find some use for it in the future, the Avedis is unreal. I've just stepped into a whole other realm.

I've never had the pleasure of tracking with a Neve, but the Avedis crunches nicely when you drive it and it can do clean (with personality!) too. And that 28k switch is a blast. Gotta use it sparingly, but my first choices for that switch will be either vocals or drums. It's a phenomenal unit and I am digging it in the extreme.

Also, using two MA5s as a kind of summing mixer worked wonders on my ITB mixes. Kinda "glued" them in a really nice way...

--Dan
Old 21st November 2007
  #26
Lives for gear
 
vince @ speck's Avatar
 

Looking at the "wish list" poll results for the 500 modules, it appears that the poll numbers reflect the inverse of the actual number of pre's, EQ's, and compressors that are available for the 500 series format.

I wonder... is there a need for more 500 series compressors? Or is the compressor/limiter just not a day-to-day necessity like the mic pre and EQ?
Old 21st November 2007
  #27
Gear addict
 
lildrummerboy70's Avatar
 

Purple Biz and Action for me (fingers crossed).
Old 21st November 2007
  #28
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince @ speck View Post
Looking at the "wish list" poll results for the 500 modules, it appears that the poll numbers reflect the inverse of the actual number of pre's, EQ's, and compressors that are available for the 500 series format.
me thinks you got that right!
Old 21st November 2007
  #29
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGo View Post
Hey Tony,

I just spent the afternoon tracking tons of electric guitars, miking up my Vox AC15 with a Studio Projects C1, my new fave guitar amp mike and using the Avedis MA5... WOWWWWWWWW! I used to use an Avalon VT737 and while it's possible I might find some use for it in the future, the Avedis is unreal. I've just stepped into a whole other realm.

I've never had the pleasure of tracking with a Neve, but the Avedis crunches nicely when you drive it and it can do clean (with personality!) too. And that 28k switch is a blast. Gotta use it sparingly, but my first choices for that switch will be either vocals or drums. It's a phenomenal unit and I am digging it in the extreme.

Also, using two MA5s as a kind of summing mixer worked wonders on my ITB mixes. Kinda "glued" them in a really nice way...

--Dan
Nice!
Old 22nd November 2007
  #30
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince @ speck View Post
Looking at the "wish list" poll results for the 500 modules, it appears that the poll numbers reflect the inverse of the actual number of pre's, EQ's, and compressors that are available for the 500 series format.

I wonder... is there a need for more 500 series compressors? Or is the compressor/limiter just not a day-to-day necessity like the mic pre and EQ?
i hope to see a few more comps hit the market soon
i know their are some in the works
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
pan60 / Product Alerts older than 2 months
48
Rea / So much gear, so little time
15
pan60 / So much gear, so little time
82
jebjerome / So much gear, so little time
1
Snatchman / So much gear, so little time
13

Forum Jump
Forum Jump