The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundelux Mics
Old 19th November 2002
Gear Addict

Soundelux Mics

Yet another mic posting.... (sorry)

It's time for a new mic and I'm interested in the Soundelux line. I'm looking for a great vocal mic to fill-in where my Brauner Valvet and BLUE dragonfly don't go...

Any comments from Soundelux users on models and applications would be really welcome.

My pres are RNP, DVC and MP-2NV.

By the way, my dealer wants me to try a Soundfield mic and a BLUE Bottle too. On the low end I'm interested in the AT4050 too. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

Maybe a E47, with the low-mid it would complement the other two. Although just try them first.
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

Soundeluxes are great! I believe Alpha Jerk can help you there. From what I remember he has a few. I have the 195 and use it constantly. I am amazed at what it does everytime I use it. Very reasonable too. I want the E47 and hope to get it fairly soon, but have to pay for some gear purchased recently before I can think of that. Think of the 195 as a 47 fet. The cool thing about the 195 is it has a "fat" switch that changes the sound to a bit of an older vintage sound or you can switch it to "normal" and get a more modern sound.
Old 19th November 2002
What is the application that you feel is lacking right now from your current selection of microphones? With the Dragonfly and Valvet, you have two mics that are in the 'airy/extended' high frequency category. It's just an educated guess, but if I were in your place, I would want something in the mic locker that has the capability to be on the opposite end of the sonic spectrum. Something like a ribbon comes to mind immediately. Both the Coles and the Royer line are excellent. The 4038 & SF-1 are very natural sounding and almost 'dark' (ie sounds attenuated or ruler flat above 10k), and the Royer 121/122 sound a little more 'bigger than life' with slightly more upper mid to my ears and less low mids than the thinner ribbon variety.

On the condenser side of things, the Soundelux E47 has a very natural sounding top, it's a pretty meaty sounding microphone especially in it's cardiod, supercardiod, and figure of 8 patterns. It's omni setting sounds generally brighter to my ears, especially above 10k but remains smooth regardless. Also the Soundelux iFET7 shows a lot of potential (I still have yet to properly run one through it's paces) with it's switchable frequency responses and specially designed high headroom transformer. It is also more forgiving than the Dragonfly, with the capability for an extended low end in it's 'FAT' setting. It's probably my favorite kick microphone, but works quite well on overheads as well and even makes a nice utility vocal microphone. There's probably a million other great options, but that's what comes to mind from my own personal engineering experiences, so I hope this helped a little. Good Luck!
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

Definitely check out the U99. It's based on the U67 and I've had it side by side with the Valvet. Comparitively, the U99 is more lush and colored, the Valvet more clinical. I haven't tried the Dragonfly so I don't know if this already covers that sound for you.

Good Luck,

Zep
MajesticMusic.com
Old 19th November 2002
There is only one

i like em.... i like em a lot.
Old 19th November 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
What is the application that you feel is lacking right now from your current selection of microphones?
Thanks everybody!

There are 2 things I feel I'm missing. First a mic that is flattering/complimentary in the low end. I didn't want to post with a lot of mic cliches (like warm or lush) but that's really what I'm looking for. Second, I find that thin voices and strident voices don't translate well on the Brauner or dragonfly, especially in the 2-3k range. For now I eq or grab an sm7 when I encounter this problem (but with the sm7 I miss the air of the Brauner and the dragonfly).

I know that I need to hear the mics but wanted to narrow it down before I ask a dealer to send the entire line to me on approval of one mic.

A ribbon is on my list too as well as a great stereo pair of small condensors... but I'll save that for a different post.
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

soundelux...elam 251...e47 are great...consider the AT4060 insted of the 4050
Old 19th November 2002
I agree with the comments that the Soundelux U99 and ELUX 251 are both incredible sounding microphones, but I think you will be disappointed in these if you are looking for a mic that does not have a high frequency emphasis. I am in no way saying these mics are harsh or hyped, in fact they are smooth as silk, but they are both generally leaning towards the extended high end/airier side of the spectrum instead of the dark side ( madd ) of the curve.
Old 20th November 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
...I think you will be disappointed in these if you are looking for a mic that does not have a high frequency emphasis...
I like the "air" but I'd also like the low frequency flattery that's missing from the Brauner Valvet (which is very Transparent in the lows).

Also, I've read that some of the Soundelux mics are "workhorse" (multi-application) while others are great in limited application. Can any users comment on this?

Thanks!
Old 20th November 2002
High End Moderator

Definitely try the E47. I got the ELUX 251 and the E47 and the E47 has a smoother, more pronounced midrange but a similar high end as the 251. Both have a fat, round bottom end, obviously very much based on proximity. The singer I'm working with right now sometimes is as far as 3 feet away from the E47 when he gets louder and it still sounds great. Obviously the bottom is not as fat as if he is singing closer to the mic. Nothing but great things to say about those two Soundelux mics. Can't wait for the iFET47.
Old 21st November 2002
Gear Addict

Thanks for the comments. I've got an E47 and an Elux251 being sent to me so I can check 'em out. I should have 'em by Friday...

Old 21st November 2002
Gear Maniac

there GGGGRRRRRREEEEAT

i have a elux 251 and i completley love it i cant praise their mics enuff
i find it more usful than the original....so hi praise indeed
Old 26th November 2002
Gear Addict

The Elux251 and E47 arrived today! But they're awfully damn cold (it's *really* cold outside)... I'll wait 'til tomorrow to fire 'em up.

If they sound half as good as they look I'm in for a treat. I've got a variety of singers and acoustic guitarists and voice-over talent that I'll be auditioning these mics on. Unfortunately, 'cause of Thanksgiving, I won't be doing the bulk of my listening 'til next week. So, one last request... if anyone can give me any application tips I'd be really happy to hear 'em!

heh
Old 27th November 2002
Lives for gear

if you feel the elux251 has too much top...it can be ordered "dull"...as we did for Crescent Moon studios...for female vocals
Old 28th November 2002
Lives for gear

Hey Mike,

Is Gloria such an exciting vocalist that Emilio feels the need to "dull" her up these days? Just kidding.

But seriously, is that "dull" mod just an eq adjustment of the electronics, or a capsule adjustment (tension change, etc.).
Old 29th November 2002
Lives for gear

I dont think they bought it for Gloria...it seems the U87 had been the choice for most other female artists...including Shakira..BTW..their mic pre of choice is the John Hardy
Old 1st December 2002
Here for the gear

Quote:
(I believe thanks to iron).
What does iron mean?
Old 1st December 2002
Ya know that Black Sabbath song...just kidding...I was talking about transformers...iron core to be exact.
Old 1st December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by MIKEHARRIS
I dont think they bought it for Gloria...it seems the U87 had been the choice for most other female artists...including Shakira..BTW..their mic pre of choice is the John Hardy
U87? What happened to that Sony Hi-tech C800 or whatever they used to have? I thought that it was supposedly their mic of choice for most female vocalists.
Old 7th December 2002
Gear Addict

Thanks for the input. It looks like I'm going with the E47. I love the 251 too but it seems to be a little brighter than what I'm looking for. Both mics are gorgeous and full in the low and mids. The E47's top seems more natural and very smooth to me. I also like the dial-in pattern function from omni to hyper to figure 8. Now I just have to get a beefier mic stand and find a way to make the shock mount lock down a little tighter. Lock washer maybe?
Old 8th December 2002
Lives for gear

I thought about a lock washer for mine, but I'm gonna look around for a rubber washer first and see if that'll do the trick (my fingers hurt).

Scott
Old 8th December 2002
Gear Addict

What up with that? Don't these guys use their own products?
Old 9th December 2002
member no 666

If the screws aren't coming loose during a session, a lock washer probably won't be of much help... what is the specific problem you're having with the mount?
Old 9th December 2002
Gear Addict

No matter how hard I tighten the screw, gravity tends to dip the mic down. I'm trying to resist my standard technique, crank it 'til it breaks...

Now to clarify, I'm no "girly-man" (I open all the pickle jars around my house) and I'm hoping that maybe this is a "break-in" issue that will improve with use.
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

Fletcher -

Thanks for following up. Just as info -- same problem here. Thought it might be helpfule to know the problem appears to not be isolated to a couple of mics/suspensions.

Just havn't gotten around to reporting the problem yet. But I am looking forward to a solution.

MWagener - Does yours suffer from this problem?
Old 9th December 2002
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike O
... MWagener - Does yours suffer from this problem?
I don't have screws on the shockmount for the E47. It has latches and when they are closed the mic seems to sit in there very tight. The original shockmount for the ELUX251 was missing a screw when I bought the mic (dealer demo). I called Soundelux to get the missing screw and they sent me a complete new shockmount which works great.

Old 9th December 2002
They are talking about the actual tightening screw that is just above the threaded portion of the shock that holds it to the stand, not the latches that hold the actual microphone.
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

I have the latches you show on your pic as well. The problem described (not clearly enough) is the the plastic knob that sits 1/2" or so above where the mount attaches to the mic stand. Unfortunately you cannot see this know clearly in your otherwise very nice pic.

The know is responsible for adjusting the angle of the mount/mic in relation to the boom arm.

Although the Soundelux design looks very like the Neumann design it does not seem able to support the weight of the mic when you require the boom arm to be at one angle while using the knob to adjust the angle of the mic to get it how you want.
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

Nathan-

You have reported owning and using the E47 and also seem to understand our problem. Do you have the same problem with yours?

Mike
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear