The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dynaudio BM6A or Adam P11-A? Studio Monitors
Old 21st May 2004
Gear Maniac

Dynaudio BM6A or Adam P11-A?

Looking for nearfields that are accurate, and versatile (mix everthing from orchestral to hip-hop). Heard very good things about the 6As but also that they might be a little bright. Only heard good things about ADAMs in general, but not much on this model (which is the only one in my budget). Thoughts and wisdom appreciated.....
Old 21st May 2004
Lives for gear

You're in NYC? I'm sure you can get to some place where they have both of them... mercenary has return policy... I think this is the best thing you can do...

Sorry can't comment P11-A, but seems pretty popular and some friends that bought it are very very satisfied. Maybe you can try to collect money for new P33-A, that will give you more bottom needed for the hiphop.

The art tweeter sounds more diffused/large/etched than dome tweeters. But strange is it sounds very accurate at the same time.

can't comment dynaudios.
Old 21st May 2004
Lives for gear

Heard the P11As on AES, thought it was amazing what these little things can do.

Ruphus
Old 21st May 2004
Gear Maniac

what were they powering the P11a's with?
Old 21st May 2004
Gear Maniac

they're active aren't they?
Old 21st May 2004
Lives for gear

yep, P11-A... A - for Active
Old 21st May 2004
Gear Maniac

I was thinking about the new ANF-10. Always a GS ready to jump on you when you make a mistake.
Old 22nd May 2004
Lives for gear

nyc in the house.
i went to dale pro audio and had a listen,
both the dyns and the adams, them p11's.

just between these 2 speakers, to me, the dyns were so much better. i dunno, they just had more of a stereo image, more 3d more alive. i remember specifically asking about the levels whether they were matched in the listening room and they WERE, and the p11's just sounded so much smaller and flatter. mind you, they were not the ultimate listening conditions...

go and have a listen if you can.
Old 22nd May 2004
Lives for gear

I worked for a couple of years on BM6a's. Great monitors. A while back I moved to a new setup, and tried the PM11a's - much preferred the BM6a's. Bass wasn't really happening for me on the P11's. On the other hand, much preferred Adam S2's over the BM6a's or anything else I tried.

If you're on a limited budget, check out the passive Adam S2's, though they need driving with something with a bit of oomph.

I've since moved up to S2a's.

There's a lot of justifiable raving about the Adams, but I don't know that the P series will get you there or are in the same class as the S's.

IMHO of course. It's very subjective with monitors
Old 22nd May 2004
djs
Gear Nut

i have the bm6a and they sound great. i do suppliment the low end with a sub, but i set the crossover at like 50hz and don't use much volume (relitive to the 6a's). just enough to fill it out. the dynaudio's sound so good down low, i don't want to use much sub...and don't need much. my last set of nearfields (tannoy) i had the crossover (on sub) set much higher and much more relitive volume. these are much better speakers. i was a little worried that the high end would be too much for me, comming from some with a darker top, but no. high end is sweeeeeeeet!

haven't heard the adam's, so i can't comment there.
Old 22nd May 2004
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the feedback everyone! keep it comin...
Old 22nd May 2004
Rep
Lives for gear

For your kind of music its hard to say,
orchestral you'll love the S2'as or P11,
Rock may want P22, over P11.
hip-hop, you'll love the Mackie 824,
624/sub combo Kicks serious sound spectrum.
P22, would be your ticket for a accurate 2 way, if you cant go S monies,
Haven't heard the p33 but they look promising.
I recently heard a Blue sky 2.1 system , And will have to give It the Bang for the Buck award,...
almost top notch sound .... for 1 third the price.
Try things out, get what you like,
...you'll use it if you like it, and your projects will reflect that .
Old 23rd May 2004
Lives for gear

i would suggest checking out blue sky, before spending lots of dough seriously. From all my reading on forums ive got to add that most agree that Adams created a stunning tweeter, but kind of skipped on the bass end. BM6a's are by far the most liked, and bluesky isnt too far. These ofcourse are rumors that i am just passing along
Old 23rd May 2004
Lives for gear

Over the past year that I've been researching the BM6A's, I have yet to read anything negative about them, ever. If anything, I've read that they don't play very loud, which is absolutely fine with me and my small room. I can't wait to get a pair...
Old 23rd May 2004
Lives for gear

im really curious as to how the BM6a's fatigue rating is, compared to others, are they sweet/relaxed on the highs like the blue sky's are(which are perfect for those working mainly with DAWs directy plugged in), Genelecs on the other hand into a DAW would really tear up my ears after a short while with their "metal"-dome tweeters, unless lot's of acoustic/analog naturally damped material would be used. I just think for me personally, that the high quality and resolution of todays DAW's out's dont need super high resolution monitors, it all kinda balances out, i could see the high ones used in large studio's with lots of analog gear/mics,long cable lenghts,etc, here youd need the microscope. I know its a subjective thing but...i really thinking about getting the BM6a's from all the happy customers but where would they fall in this scenario? would they be too good for electronic music?
Old 23rd May 2004
Gear Guru

the bm6a would be great for electronic music

i used them for 4 years and they are not fatiguing, imaging is excellent, plenty of low end in modest studios

the only negative: the crossover can be in the wrong place, more an issue for rock. not so much for electronic, pop etc. ...

still, they are still fantastic in that price range

i now use S3As
Old 23rd May 2004
Lives for gear

I had both the Adams P11 A and Dyna BM6A plus a pair of Truth monitors (not Behringer) for a month to Demo......I did not care for the Adams Pa11 not much bottom and the high end was ....how do I put it...a little odd to my ears hyped and crispy...if that makes any sense.The Dynas Bm6A sounded beautiful..nice and rich and full ..and a very nice silky top end...a touch on the bright side(you can adjust the monitors themselves a tad.The Truth Ta-1A had the best imaging I had ever heard on a pair of nearfields at that price range.....The truths were rich and full sounding slightly darker sounding monitor.I thought the BM6A were the best sounding monitor of the three.......But after a month of doing a bunch of mixes( I would duplicate my mixes on different monitors) ......I ended up purchaing the truths only because my mixes always sounded and translated better outside of the studio...and that was the deciding factor for me.
Old 23rd May 2004
Gear Nut

I own the Dyns Bm6Athumbsup. I chose not to purchase the ADAM's a year ago. If you are gonna go with the ADAM SA2.5-A or S3-A then I would say you have to weight things out and go with the ADAM.
Old 24th May 2004
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the responses everyone, it's looking like the BM6As are probably the way to go. Is anybody using them with a sub?
Old 24th May 2004
Gear Nut

Not me, not necessary. Probably would make them not so true. Maybe someone here has though that can answer that question better than me. I personally have a few friends that use them with no sub and love them. They've been through the gamut of monitors also.
Old 24th May 2004
Gear Guru

i had the BX 30 for a time ... dont bother. a great box but more trouble than it was worth setting it up.

most rooms go to hell with a sub anyway

your brain should be able to have a sufficient understanding about the low end for mixing once you get their sound figured out.

you'll grow out of them someday ... like everything else ... but then you'll be ready to pay MORE money

slut on,

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search