The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Benchmark DAC1
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus View Post
... As far as the jitter reduction goes I can't go into detail about how it works as it is proprietary, but suffice it to say that we can hook up a DAC1 with 1000' of cable and will be as jitter immune as if we were to hook it up with 3" of cable ...
Hi please excuse me i know it is an old thread ... but i got one unit just now (this 1st edition)
I wonder if the above mentioned jitter reduction circuit is effective with all the digital connection options at the same level. In general i wonder which would be the best way to connect it to a source. I suspect that AES/EBU could be the best way to go ... but i am all ears for advice. This really nice little thing could be definitive for my playback system for controlling powered monitors via xlrs.
Thank you very much indeed.
Warmest regards, gino

Last edited by ginetto61; 15th November 2018 at 09:50 AM..
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Head

I've been told by a rep from one of the high-end converter companies that AES does in fact have higher fidelity (or otherwise sounds "better") than SPDIF. Perhaps the conversation was getting over simplified and maybe he was speaking more to the reliability of data transfer? either way, I don't grasp where the difference comes from and would love to hear what the difference is in the transmission of 1's and 0's on the 2 formats.
Old 15th November 2018
Maybe that was years ago but modern S/PDIF ports are now capable of very fast data rates. I typically run mine at 378k, upsampled 44.1k Redbook sounds amazing that way. Modern USB and HDMI ports are now capable of 512 DSD.

In comparison, the AES ports are limited to 192k. I also get slightly better resolution with the S/PDIF using Kimber AGSS pure silver cable over Mogami 3080 AES cables.
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Addict

hi thanks a lot for the very kind and helpful advice
Given that the dac is not recent Aes connection could indeed give some improvements i understand
i will try both then
interesting point about upsampling i will read about it
kind regards
gino

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search