The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What 500 pre has the beefiest bottom? 500 Series Preamps
Old 4th December 2007
Lives for gear

Well, I never got a call from VK. Got a project I'm working on hold 'till I get it!!!
Old 4th December 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingcatfish View Post
i understand 1 batch of avedis ma5 have been sold......belmont sold out in 3 hours..........now waiting on tranny's for the new ones.......1 week and 4 days is what they're saying
Yep... We are going to start taking orders again later this week for the next batch (once we get the OK from Avedis). We get most of the MA5's that come off the line. If anyone is on our list for notification, they will recieve an email and an opportunity to order them.
Old 4th December 2007
Tony, did they end up being the red with the black marconi knob? I know they weren't 100% sure at AES.
Old 4th December 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch View Post
Tony, did they end up being the red with the black marconi knob? I know they weren't 100% sure at AES.
Yes, they stayed with the red/ black color combo.

They did change the finish slightly to make it less shiny/ reflective than the prototype. The picture on my site is the up date look.
Old 4th December 2007
Cool, thanks.
Old 4th December 2007

Quote:
I'm not talking about the "best", just wondering which exaggerates the bottom the most
what a bizarre question.

Just use anything and put a heavy bass boosted eq on it. It won't be the best, but it will have more exaggerated bottom than any pre by itself

narco
Old 4th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by narco View Post
what a bizarre question.

Just use anything and put a heavy bass boosted eq on it. It won't be the best, but it will have more exaggerated bottom than any pre by itself

narco
That won't necessarily get you the same result.
Old 1st March 2016
Lives for gear

Ok, old thread I know... Due for an update.

So after 8+ years what is the overall conscious nowadays of beefy 500 mic pre's?

Same as already listed or something newer such as Burl B1/BD1D?, Skibble Flickenger?, Electrodyne? Gamma? something else?
Old 1st March 2016
Lives for gear

In the meantime, a lot has changed.
I got rid of my Germ. The lowend on it was spectacular, but the rest of its character didn't do it for me for everyday use.
I used UA 4110s for a while. Nice color options, but not especially bassy.
For DI'd sounds, I found the API to give me the cleanest and tightest bass, which was easier to manipulate and enhance via EQ later.
The Great River's DI is too fuzzy for my taste, but it's brilliant for hefty, big sounds coming from a great mic. Just keep your headroom in check and you'll be richly rewarded.
And generally, there's a lot to be said for having LESS preamp options, at least that's the biggest lesson I'm taking away from my years of preamp sluttery.
Old 3rd April 2016
Lives for gear

Now have a pair of Burl B!D's. Ya, Baby - now gots me a thick-it ticket!
Old 3rd April 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
+1 on the Germ with "thick".
Runner-up: Great River MP-500NV (and Vintage Design M581 and AvedisMA5 probably too, based on design)
A-Designs P-1.

Haven't used the germanium, but my Great River MP-500NV doesn't come close to my P-1.
Old 3rd April 2016
Lives for gear
Awtac Channel Amplifier

Rascal Audio Two V
Old 3rd April 2016
Gear Addict

I haven't used all of these mentioned by the true systems pres always had a real well defined low end. Anytime I needed to fatten up the signal (without changing too much), I would throw the mic on that pre

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search