The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Should I Sell My Board?
Old 17th November 2002
Lives for gear

Should I Sell My Board?

What would you do if you had a board that is:

- not used for much more than "filler" mic pres
- never used for mixdown or headphone cues
- basically a giant speaker volume control
- only a notch or two above Mackie quality, but with far better eq
- helpful with easily impressed clients ("ooo, a real studio" vibe)?

It's a 32 ch. Soundcraft Ghost with MIDI automation (a feature I ended up never using).

I could really use a Great River MP2-NV, an API 3124, and a high quality passive volume control/monitor switcher.

At this point, the Ghost is looking like a relic from when I was starting out. The only semi-worry I have is lack of some studio vibe to new clients. Well, that and it would just be wierd having a studio with no board.

So what would you do?
Old 17th November 2002
Lives for gear

If you are not using the mixer then get rid of it. Basically what you have there are assets that are not working for you. Convert the mixer into cash and get something with the money that you will use in a meaningful way.

As far as a studio vibe, a HUI type controller for your mixing software might provide the same "mixer" vibe and perhaps even be more useful. I personally am not impressed when I walk into a studio and see an old mixing board sitting there, unless it's a *really* good one. If it feels like a relic to you, it probably feels like a relic to at least some of your clients as well.

I've been taking my own advice for the last year, selling off old gear in order to finance new gear purchases. I've shrunk the physical size of my studio but improved the quality. It feels really, really good to get rid of the outmoded old stuff that's just hanging on. There's good vintage and then there's just vintage. Make the choice of what's worth keeping and then toss the rest. That's my two cents.
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

I agree with Albert, I've never been too impressed by a Ghost anyway... Those easily impressed clients are gonna go "WOW!!!" when they see the moving faders going all over the place as you load sessions or flip banks of channels.

Cheers!
Old 18th November 2002
I agree with Albert and Groove Control.
I'm hoping to sell my Mackie VERY soon.
I think I would be a bit freaked out to walk into a studio with no board, so some kind of control surface might be the ticket.
Old 18th November 2002
One with big hooves

What do you use for cue mixes? I know a few people with no board in their studio and most regret selling it. Yeah, 32 channels might be overkill but it would be nice to have at least a a 4x2 or 8x2 around for summing multiple mics together. Hell, I'd want a 12x4 so I could do guitars and stuff and have a few different things setup at once.
Old 19th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Sounds familiar....

Just sold my Mackie 32x8.....it's been sitting around collecting dust...was only using it for 'filler' preamps. I flipped it and bought a True Systems Precision 8 for about the same money.

My 16ch ProControl in a nice desk and significant outboard collection impresses the clients from a 'marketing' perspective.

Give up the Ghost.......
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
What do you use for cue mixes?

Oz audio HM6 with 7506's.

Yeah, 32 channels might be overkill but it would be nice to have at least a a 4x2 or 8x2 around for summing multiple mics together.

I don't sum mics together. I give them separate tracks. I know the "commmit to tape" philosophy, but I'm a control freak.

Youre right, though. I either need to get into summing mics or get more A/D. My studio needs help in other places more than it needs a mixer, I think.

Still not off the fence yet.
Old 19th November 2002
One with big hooves

I'm mixing a project right now where most of the guitar takes were printed with each mic on it's own track. What an adventure!

Actually it's kind of nice to have the options since the tones aren't the greatest. But, I'd rather have one track per take and per part. Don't be afraid to commit! Plus, I sum things together on drums all the time. I'd rather get a good sound while tracking and commit to it then have to re-construct it later. Hell, I've actually thought about taking my drum mix and bussing it out to a pair of open tracks. Having lots of options is good but you can also hang yourself with it.
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

If you go boardless I'd definitely look into one of these. It's from a company calle Aviom and you can get info at www.aviominc.com
It's basically a digital headphone distribution system that bundles 16 digital signals into a cat5 cable and then functions as a basic 16 track mixer for headphones, with all of the d/a conversions taking place in the mixer. It is also phantom powered through the rack unit. It's a killer unit and works and sounds great. Did I mention it's cheap!
Attached Thumbnails
Should I Sell My Board?-aviommixer.jpg  
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

Looks like a very useful couple of boxes. Cheap it isn't, though. That thing would run me @ $1100. The HM6 I use was only $300, works fine 90% of the time. The only time it doesn't work is when someone can't perform with a headphone cue in the first place.
Old 20th November 2002
Old 20th November 2002
Lives for gear

LOL!

That's about what I've begun to expect from Jules.

Old 20th November 2002
Lives for gear

Okay, maybe not so cheap:eek: But it would save a ton of time in setting up monitor mixes and that's just good for your mental health in the long run. and who can put a price on mental health

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search