The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Source-live DAW Software
Old 2nd November 2007

Source-live

I know this plugin has been out for a while but I've just started using Source-Live in several of my sessions now and I'm just blown away with the simplicity and stability of this plug-in. I either place it on the master fader or create a separate mix on a different bus and insert the plug-in there. Its a real bonus for my clients who now can approve mixes to a large extent and make all kinds of edits and composition-related decisions from their own studio set-ups rather than coming out to me. The fact that the recipient of the stream doesn't need anything other than their browser to hear the audio is source-live's strongest point! Its really making a big difference to my business and I think its a glimpse of how a lot of productions will be carried out in the future. Anyone else getting into this plugin? I'd love to know how widespread the usage is becoming!!
Old 2nd November 2007
Lives for gear

Welcome to the club! thumbsup
Literally it will change the way you work... forever.

3 weeks ago I was getting ready to go to AES and the day before I left I had to turn in a mix to Disney.

I wanted to have the producers (one of them was audiomichael here on GS) to sign off on the mix so I could get on the plane and not worry about it while I was in New York.

When I was done with the mix, I put in the Source-Live plugin.
They opened up their Safari browsers and started listening.
We hammered out the tweaks with everyone on line in about 30 minutes.
I recored to Disc and posted the mix on my iDisk.

Without Source -Live it would have been an endless night of making mp3s and uploading files to everyone.

With Source Live, everyone was part of the creative decisions all at once and they couldn't have been happier.
Old 5th November 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, It's pretty kick-ass. Way faster than repeatedly bouncing and uploading mp3's, and it's really valuable for a mixer to work where he's working, and me listen to something where I'm used to be listening. That means there won't be any surprises when you get home.
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

This source-live saved my ass today. Highly recommended!

Only a few problems with it:

1) All the cost is $400 upfront. I've suggested they go to a $99/year subscription model, which I think would end them up with a bigger bottom line.

2) Knocks the 003 console offline when logging in. I go to playback engine and tweak the buffer size back and forth to recover the hardware.

3) Glitchy at times, crashed Pro Tools once. I'm using 003 Console, Mac Pro quad 2.66 10.4.11 PTLE MPTK 7.4cs4. Definitely I think it's the source-live plugin doing it.

4) Didn't work at first, needing some flexing. Then I got it to work for me, but it didn't work for the client...they just sat there watching it say "connecting". As it turns out, you need to enable IP forwarding for ports 6000-6001 in your NAT router if you have one, and you need to allow those ports in your firewall in the Network System Preferences. Test the system by doing an external stream in Quicktime player (via the Help Guide stuff).

5) Needs an ilok, not just an account. Guess they want to prevent account sharing.

Still, the artist wanted a specific flavor of distortion to make a synth sound like a guitar, they were sitting in a cafe 1000 miles away, and we were able to zoom in on it in 2 hours where 2 days of emailing files and trying to verbally describe tone failed. So yes this is a great thing and if I have faith they will tighten up the code a touch I will invest the $400.

And thanks to Tony for including a demo of this in his video. These guys ought to do some more marketing I think a lot of people would be into this, especially as I mentioned with a more comely price structure.

/ Source Elements / Introducing .. /

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search