The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drum Samples
Old 15th November 2002
Lives for gear

Drum Samples

What do you guys like.....Discrete, Zero-G, Joey Kramer? I'm looking to get some stuff to replace bad sounds. Any input appreciated.
TML
Old 15th November 2002
It REALLY depends on the kind of music you are doing. Failing that, what kind of drum sounds do you like?
Radiohead, Bonham, Stuart Copeland, R&B?
Old 17th November 2002
Lives for gear

Chrisso-
I work on all types of projects. R+B, Punk, AlT Rock and metal. Never used samples much. Wanted to jump into a cd that has a good bang for the buck. Mainly I'm looking for kik and snare sounds. Thanks
TML
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

I don't know of one drum CD that's strong in every genre. You really have to get one for every style of production .yuktyy
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

I guess my first objective would be to get good rock kik/snare samples.
Old 18th November 2002
Bernard
Try either or both of the Bob Clearmountain discs. They've been around for a while but they've got killer snares and kicks. Great samples. Still the best drum discs out there as far as I'm concerned.
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

I've used both BC CD's too and got useful stuff out of them. The Russ Garfield drum doctor CD has been useful also. I never got to listen to the more recent stuff like J. Kramer. Luckily I haven't had to replace drumsounds in the longest time.
Have fun!
Old 18th November 2002
I agree with groundcontrol, I can't think of one product that covers so many bases. You'd probably get away with a couple of purchases though.
There are a lot more 'loop' CD's than single hit construction kits. Most loop CD's include a selection of samples however.
I've never used them but I should think the Clearmountain and Garfield CD's are pretty good. I've used the Pete Erskine disc (from Sampleheads) a helluva lot. Quite a vanilla sound but at least 3 layers of velocity which helps with the realism.
Is 'Backbeat' (from Spectrasonics) out yet?
It features Gregg Bissonette who I think is a great and very versatile player. The 'groove control' feature is quite amazing also.
The problem with the Joey Kramer and Steve Smith CD's is that there isn't a great diversity of sound. There's no argument that the sound is fabulous - if you are into American Rock.
Not my cup of tea though.
Burnin' Grooves by Spectrasonics has a big single hit section. I find a lot of the Spectrasonics drum samples to contain too many 'pingy' snares though.
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

Chrisso good idea with Spectrasonics (and Ilio their parent company). Most of their stuff is top notch. If they have something on offer it might be very good.

However I think the Burning Groove CD is a bit dated and it doesn't sound really good to me anyway. Too much over-the-top cheapo spanking to start with. Peter Erskine is the opposite, a bit too drab. It's very clean and natural sounding but it doesn't have any balls. You have to seriously abuse the sounds to get some attitude out of there. I once heard a CD by Steve Gadd that sounded good but I don't know what's up with that. It's probably an old release.

The best thing would be to hunt around a bit. If you have a fast internet connection. Go the the "Soundsonline", "East-West" and "Ilio" sites and check their stuff. You can download demos and see what sounds might fit in your type of production.

There are two ways to go at it really. You either find sounds that sound very produced and polished and don't touch them, or you find basic ones that you have to manipulate with the rest of the kit to shape into something that blends well together.

Good luck and keep us posted on your findings!
Old 18th November 2002
Agreed on Burnin' Grooves, I think it sounds terrible but most people seem to think Spectrasonics rule - no matter what.
You're right about Pete Erskine.
The MP3's on the sounds online site are very useful for checking out products.
Another approach would be to sample sounds off your favourite records. I've collected quite a few 'single hits' over the years. Of course it's not always easy to find kick and snare without a hi hat playing along. Single tom hits are even harder to find. Mixing and matching found sounds along with commercially available samples can be fun and creatively rewarding.
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

Thanks for the input. I'm gonna try East-West and sounds on line. I heard the Kramer cd. It seemed to have one vibe.
Old 18th November 2002
s2n
Gear Nut

We have samples that we use for SoundReplacer that Gggarth Richardson and Matt Hyde gave us when they were at our studio. There are samples from Rage Against The Machine, The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Tool, Motley Crue, NIN, Slayer, No Doubt etc... All incredible samples direct from their respective sessions!
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

When I hear these "stock" cd's, I hear maybe 2, or 3 samples I like. I think you'll have better luck trading samples with other engineers. Like many engineer's, I run a drums dat/cd after every mix.

note: My favorite sample on the Clearmountain cd: The Basketball against the control room window.
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

S2N, you know how we Canadians should always help each others and share the ressources of our great country... heh

Do you need my address?
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

I think, especially, at times such as these we shouldn't restrict our kindliness to our own countryfolk alone...Gearslutz sans frontieres....?????
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

Of course now that Chris has posted those Digiworld photos, S2N's samples are probably already in the mail...

You know what to do once they arrive... heh
Old 19th November 2002
s2n
Gear Nut

I might do a trade for Jules' Atari t-shirt.
Old 21st November 2002
Lives for gear

What cd would you guys reccomend for a pop punk rock drum kit. Thanks
TML
Old 21st November 2002
Gear Maniac

I think that the Ross Grafield II cdrom for samplecell (which I have) is absolutely fantastic. Great variety, very well recorded, and it's easy to blend sounds to get custom super fat kit's. Great percussion to (tambs, shakers, ect).
Old 22nd November 2002
Lives for gear

Does anyone make a drum CD yet that has sound replacer plugin settings and 3 velocity types. Now that would be nice.
Old 22nd November 2002
Lives for gear

A lot of the Clearmountain samples have hard, med and soft hits which work pretty well with Sound Replacer. I also use the Gain plugin to further set the velocity levels of the samples.
Old 22nd November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by davemc
Does anyone make a drum CD yet that has sound replacer plugin settings and 3 velocity types. Now that would be nice.
But wouldn't the velocity types totally depend on the program material you are replacing from?
Old 22nd November 2002
Lives for gear

I have been mining the New York Loops discs.

Hours of fun for the whole family.
Old 23rd November 2002
Lives for gear

Think I'm gonna give the clearmountain stuff a try as well as the Garfield. Just got back from catching Gabiel at Madison Square Garden. ****ing amazing. Lots of tunes had layered-triggered drums. He's puts on a sick show.
TML
Old 25th November 2002
Lives for gear

let me point out "drumkit from hell".
my go to-disk for rock and alternative stuff.

the kits have separate patches for close miking and room: great to blend tones, squash the room mics etc.

check out the beautiful room response on demo-track nr. 5 "rock drom hell". here's the
link

my 2 cents.

michael
Old 25th November 2002
Dunno if I dig the plastic 'clak' on that kick drum...

Old 25th November 2002
Lives for gear

agreed, jules.

fortunately, the CD also contains quite different sounding kits, some of them with really dull kicks.

(I hope I don't sound like a troll now... )

cheers,

michael
Old 25th November 2002
Here for the gear

I have the Bob Clearmountain East-West drum samples
(recorded a Bearsville) and they are OK. My favorite/most often used snare is on this disc.

However, I fell in love with many of the sounds on the Steve Gadd sample discs. In particular, the toms have a very natural/woody sound and the room comes through just perfectly.

These Gadd samples come as audio tracks only- so it takes some work to construct a pre-set.

I agree that sample selec tion is highly dependant on the type of music /the sound you are going for- but I find these to be very useful. YMMV
Old 25th November 2002
Lives for gear

The DFH doesn't sound bad. The kik needs to be tightened. Too flappy. I'll have to search for the Gadd audio. The Joey Kramer stuff wasn't bad. I'm just not sure how deep the cd really is. Can't find listings on his site.
TML
Old 25th November 2002
RE: THE DRUM KIT FROM HELL

Listened to the demos, they all sound the same to me. They exhibit a characteristic that I really have a problem with on most drum sample cd's; high pitched, pingy snares. Every one of the demo snares!
How SOS gave it a 5/5 (perfect score) I don't know.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear