The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
rnc a disapointment, need new comp
Old 15th November 2002
Gear Nut

rnc a disapointment, need new comp

Well not that the RNC suckedtut , but its rated for +4db gear and my stuff runs -10.it would be nice if the rnc had a switch for -10/+4. Anyways fletcher at mercenary is really cool about making the customer set the rules. Now thats customer service So off the rnc goes........ so i need to get another compressor. I need some recomendations....i would like something in the 2-$300 range for a 2 ch comp. My buddy says to check out the dbx166, what do you guys think? this comp will be used for comping mixes to cd burn.
Old 15th November 2002
Lives for gear

The 166 is not in the same league as an RNC. I would not run a mix through a 166.
Old 15th November 2002
Gear Maniac

i guess i just would have spent another $100 and bought a -10/+4 box to use with the RNC. no doubt it would also come in handy many times down the road for other +4 gear you'd run across. i think the main point is that you already had the best $200 compressor in your possession
Old 15th November 2002
One with big hooves

Hmmm... You already had the best $200 compressor you can get. So, I'd have to recommend nothing. Was the fact that it's +4 the only "problem" with it? Here's a hint, any piece of real professional gear runs at +4. If you keep buying equipment at some point you'll have to swtich everything over to +4 or have lots and lots of bump boxes around.

Best of luck,
Old 15th November 2002
There is only one

the rnc is +4? damn, i thought it was unbalanced [-10] and the rnmp was to bring it up to +4... shows how much i pay attention.
Old 15th November 2002
Gear Addict

It is an unbalanced +4.....the RNP just makes for a nice balanced front end without having to butcher any cables.
Old 15th November 2002
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Rader Ranch
i guess i just would have spent another $100 and bought a -10/+4 box to use with the RNC. no doubt it would also come in handy many times down the road for other +4 gear you'd run across. i think the main point is that you already had the best $200 compressor in your possession
Where can i find one of these -10/+4 boxes? what are they called?????????????(link?)

you say it is the best $200 comp, do you own one, because alot of people say this , but i really dought they ALL own one, or even used one.
Old 15th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Detuned6
... you say it is the best $200 comp, do you own one, because alot of people say this , but i really dought they ALL own one, or even used one.
Well, I own three of them and yes they are the best $200 comp out there... at least to my ears they are.
Old 15th November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Agreed. I own a pair and they are the best comps you can get for $200. The hype that they compete with $1000-2000 units isn't off base at all, as long as your looking for very clean, no nonsense compression.

I agree with what the others are suggesting: keep the RNC and get a -10 to +4 box from Ebtech. Try a search for them online.

Also, if you're serious about developing your studio on a professional level, I'd suggest swapping out what you have for as much high quality +4 gear as you can afford, even if it's all RNC's and RNP's. Not to sound like a snob, but -10 studio equipment is generally consumer grade.
Old 15th November 2002
Gear Nut

I agree with what the others are suggesting: keep the RNC and get a -10 to +4 box from Ebtech. Try a search for them online.

[/B][/QUOTE]

this is what it says from the ebtech website:
"The Line Level Shifter™ also converts back and forth between balanced (+4dBu) and unbalanced (-10dBV) signals automatically"

Im sure i understand this, it should not matter, ill be using unbalnced cables(thats what the rnc calls for), so how would it "automaticlly switch"??
Old 15th November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Why not call or email Ebtech? They can answer your questions more accurately than I can.
Old 15th November 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
Agreed. I own a pair and they are the best comps you can get for $200. The hype that they compete with $1000-2000 units isn't off base at all, as long as your looking for very clean, no nonsense compression.

Also, if you're serious about developing your studio on a professional level, I'd suggest swapping out what you have for as much high quality +4 gear as you can afford, even if it's all RNC's and RNP's. Not to sound like a snob, but -10 studio equipment is generally consumer grade.
Yeah. What he said.
Old 15th November 2002
One with big hooves

Quote:
Where can i find one of these -10/+4 boxes? what are they called?????????????(link?)

*** It's called a bump box. Ebtech makes one, Furman made one, so does Fostex, Peavey, I think Aphex, Radio labs etc.

you say it is the best $200 comp, do you own one, because alot of people say this , but i really dought they ALL own one, or even used one.
I don't own an RNC at the moment, I just never got around to buying one but I have used them a bunch of times. One of the first times I used it I wasn't all that thrilled with it. I was helping a friend get drum sounds together at his home studio and it was too clean for my tastes but it did the job and didn't suck.
Old 15th November 2002
Lives for gear

LOL . . this is funny . . . you are talking to guys that have many different and more expensive boxes . . . . and we all have an RNC or two. That should tell you something. We have 2 of them here.
Old 15th November 2002
Gear Addict

One other thing - I occasionally do live sound at a club and I made them buy 4 channels of RNC for across the mains and for misc spot stuff. Supernice mode across the mix has been a lifesaver many a time. They've been getting abused for a couple years and have been working great...
Old 16th November 2002
Lives for gear

I have an extra Fostex 8 channel +4--10 box if you want it. The cool thing is you can use the other channels in the other direction when you go to +4 for your keyboards, samplers, sequencers etc. to bump up to +4.
Old 16th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:

naw...everyone here is full of ****. get an ALesis 3630...they rock!!!
Old 16th November 2002
Lives for gear

****, forgot to mention those (and the 166 too) on the slag thread...
Old 16th November 2002
One with big hooves

Funny, for some reason I don't really hate the 166 as much as everyone else. It has it's place for me, usually guitar solos or maybe a drum mult. I don't think I've ever used the new one, just the old black one with the red and blue knows. I wouldn't want it to be my only compressor but if I walk into a place and they have one it'll usually find it's way onto something. Just think of it as an effect like the 1176 four button trick or maybe a Meek compressor and it's not so bad. YMMV. If I were the original poster I'd get the RNC back and grab Fibes bump box.
Old 16th November 2002
Lives for gear

Jay, I think my deep hatred for them comes from the fact that I DID work in a studio that only had one of those poor stinkers for compression!?!?

The funny thing is that they eventually upgraded straight to a pair of 2254's!!! How's that for going from apples to freakin' caviar... Even better is the fact that I was able to buy the Neve's for cheap when the place closed some years later!!! heh heh heh
Old 16th November 2002
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Fibes
I have an extra Fostex 8 channel +4--10 box if you want it. The cool thing is you can use the other channels in the other direction when you go to +4 for your keyboards, samplers, sequencers etc. to bump up to +4.
Fibes,yeah that would be cool, check your PM box.
Old 16th November 2002
no ssl yet
I happen to like the dbx 160xt on kick and snare. Am I the lame in the bunch? I don't really know the 166 is it that much different??
Old 16th November 2002
One with big hooves

They (dbx) say that the 166 was like having a pair of 160's but it's never sounded the same to me. Funny, it's also quite a bit cheaper so how could it be the same?
Old 16th November 2002
Lives for gear

I never thought so. The 166 doesn't sound like the "non VU" 160's either. I have a pair of 160x's that I like alot for certain things but the 166 never really tickled me all that much.
Old 17th November 2002
Lives for gear

I had a 160XT and 166 for a long time. Switching back and forth was a "blanket off - blanket on" comparison. I finally just bought a second 160XT to strap in stereo and dumped the 166. They're +4 anyways, not gonna help you here. I think Drawmer's answer to the 166, the DL241, was much better. Will that switch down to -10?
Old 18th November 2002
Gear Head

The Drawmer DL241 with 1/4"TRS ins and outs is switchable between -10 and +4 operation. Don't know about the version with xlr connectors, might be +4 only. IMO, the Drawmer is not nearly as clean and hi-fi compared to the RNC.
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

I happen to like the dbx 160xt on kick and snare

I rekon these DBX'x the VCA single rack space 160X & XT are very UNDERATED compressors. I have used them to great effect on kik, snr and elctric gtrs. They are often thought of a low rung comps around the circles that i gravitate in as they asre usualy found in PA racks and rigs but i like them to tighten up a snr and kik whilst tracking.

I u find one give them a go because they are quite afordable and kinda handy for general level control duties and they ahve that great 80's VCA thang happening with them (YMMV as to howmuch u like that sound but i dontmind at all)... who know they may even become valuable like the now classic DBX 160VU's!!!!!!!lol iu wonder how many people have regretted selling thier ones over the years..

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 18th November 2002
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by zenfreud
The Drawmer DL241 with 1/4"TRS ins and outs is switchable between -10 and +4 operation. Don't know about the version with xlr connectors, might be +4 only. IMO, the Drawmer is not nearly as clean and hi-fi compared to the RNC.
So the DL241 is more of a "coloring" compressor?
Old 18th November 2002
One with big hooves

I wouldn't call it a coloring compressor. I reserve that for things like an 1176, 160VU, LA-2A or ADL, Daking etc. Those have a definate sound to them. The DL241 is quite a bit more transparent then those. I don't think it's quite as clean as the RNC, I haven't directly A/B'd them but they're closer then an ADL & the 241.
Old 19th November 2002
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyBeast
One other thing - I occasionally do live sound at a club and I made them buy 4 channels of RNC for across the mains and for misc spot stuff. Supernice mode across the mix has been a lifesaver many a time. They've been getting abused for a couple years and have been working great...
Not many people mention the RNC for live work. My three supposedly came out of Medeski, Martin and Wood's touring rig. I guess they each got one.
yuktyy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search