The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording info on Beck's Sea Change Album?
Old 29th October 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 
MrVelvet's Avatar
 

Recording info on Beck's Sea Change Album?

Love the album and the whole atmosphere. Any infos how that thing was recorded? Love the acoutic guitar sound (e.g. "Already dead").

Any idea what mics produce such a warm yet transparent sound (maybe a KM54)?
Old 29th October 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
neilio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVelvet View Post
Love the album and the whole atmosphere. Any infos how that thing was recorded? Love the acoutic guitar sound (e.g. "Already dead").

Any idea what mics produce such a warm yet transparent sound (maybe a KM54)?
nigel godrich....the yellow deltron at oceanway, 8 hands mixing, jmj, roger, victor indrizzo....

makes for a good start...
Old 29th October 2007
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
Marty J's Avatar
 

I'd love some more info on this album too, it sounds fantastic. It's hard to imagine, but the SACD sounds even better.

Let's not forget the contribution of great writing, arrangements and performances!
Old 29th October 2007
  #4
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty J View Post
I'd love some more info on this album too, it sounds fantastic. It's hard to imagine, but the SACD sounds even better.

Let's not forget the contribution of great writing, arrangements and performances!
A pleasure for me to see this album getting some love from this esteemed community. Definitely my proudest moment as a player/collaborator. Three weeks of musical freedom, experimentation, and worthy challenges...oh, and that time includes the mix, too.

I can certainly answer a few questions on this one. I'll start by saying that Victor Indrizzo didn't play drums on this record, it was Joey Waronker and James Gadson.

Acoustic guitar was simply one of Allen Side's great U47's into the Delcon console.

Oceanway B - the finest room in the world, IMHO.

As has been reported before, I will confirm that the mixes on that album and Mutations before it were done largely on the small monitor section of the console, and rather quickly.

JMJ
Old 29th October 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
christmasjones's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty J View Post
I'd love some more info on this album too, it sounds fantastic. It's hard to imagine, but the SACD sounds even better.

Let's not forget the contribution of great writing, arrangements and performances!
+1 thumbsup thumbsup

this album never gets old...
Old 29th October 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
neilio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmj View Post
A pleasure for me to see this album getting some love from this esteemed community. Definitely my proudest moment as a player/collaborator. Three weeks of musical freedom, experimentation, and worthy challenges...oh, and that time includes the mix, too.

I can certainly answer a few questions on this one. I'll start by saying that Victor Indrizzo didn't play drums on this record, it was Joey Waronker and James Gadson.

Acoustic guitar was simply one of Allen Side's great U47's into the Delcon console.

Oceanway B - the finest room in the world, IMHO.

As has been reported before, I will confirm that the mixes on that album and Mutations before it were done largely on the small monitor section of the console, and rather quickly.

JMJ
my bad about victor, i guess we had him locked up at that point....

memory and all that...
Old 29th October 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
neilio's Avatar
 

sonically it is very good sounding....

i still think the songs sound like Gordon Lightfoot


i keed i keed.!!!
Old 30th October 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
neilio's Avatar
 

justin...where'd you go...?
Old 30th October 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmj View Post
A pleasure for me to see this album getting some love from this esteemed community. Definitely my proudest moment as a player/collaborator.
JMJ

ok...so i'm an ignoramus....what was your role on this (great) album?

cheers
Old 30th October 2007
  #10
Gear Addict
 

Is that 201 space echo I hear?
I love that CD.
Old 30th October 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
 
neilio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eligit View Post
ok...so i'm an ignoramus....what was your role on this (great) album?

cheers
he...well ill see if he responds first....but trust me as ive recorded these guys....vip to the session.
Old 30th October 2007
  #12
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eligit View Post
ok...so i'm an ignoramus....what was your role on this (great) album?

cheers
I'm Beck's bassist since '96. Also sang, played guitar, keys, percussion on this record.

JMJ
Old 30th October 2007
  #13
Gear Addict
 

Can you enlightenn us about the bass recording?
What bass did you play? Amp? Compression? DI only?
Old 30th October 2007
  #14
Lives for gear
 
lord_bunny's Avatar
 

HUGE fan of this record. Like many, i was floored when I heard it. The ending of paper tiger is one of the coolest moments on record IMO in the last ten years.

Q: What was the bass rig? did you use a lot of the amp source? are you using a pick?
Old 30th October 2007
  #15
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
Can you enlightenn us about the bass recording?
What bass did you play? Amp? Compression? DI only?
Basses were mainly:

Guild Starfire
American Standard Fender Precision

And I had these there too, some of which got used here and there (referring to a photo):

Fender 50th Anniv precision (flatwounds)
Schecter 8-string
Wal Mach I
Fender Coronado
Englehardt upright
Guild JS100
Ricky 4003
Gibson RD Artist

The amp was an Ampeg B-15R reissue. The mic was a Fet 47 about a foot off the grill. No DI was used on this record....we tried and abandoned it before we cut the first song. Compression was 1176, and API 550A for some EQ. Sometimes pick, sometimes fingers, I alternate between song sections.

That's about it.

Best,
JMJ
Old 30th October 2007
  #16
Hi Justin,

I am a fan of your work. Seen you many times with Beck since 1996.
Old 30th October 2007
  #17
Lives for gear
 
doorknocker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmj View Post
Acoustic guitar was simply one of Allen Side's great U47's into the Delcon console.
Simple and unbelivably great! The slide bits on 'Side Of The Road' are some of the best acoustic guitar sounds I've ever heard.
Old 30th October 2007
  #18
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Simple and unbelivably great! The slide bits on 'Side Of The Road' are some of the best acoustic guitar sounds I've ever heard.
I love those tones too...that would be Beck on the left, Smokey Hormel on the right.

JMJ
Old 30th October 2007
  #19
Gear Addict
 

Flats on the main basses?
I had a b15 Reissue for a while, it sounded fine but always mad a fizzing sound on certain notes. I'll have to try another one!
Thanks for the info!
Old 30th October 2007
  #20
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
Flats on the main basses?
I had a b15 Reissue for a while, it sounded fine but always mad a fizzing sound on certain notes. I'll have to try another one!
Thanks for the info!
I've been snowed under for weeks on end, first day off today, and I'm layed out with a nasty cold...so here I am enjoying some Gearslutz Q&A on the couch with the laptop...nice. Keeps my mind off how shitty I'm feeling.

Flats on Starfire, that P-Bass has rounds.

B-15 reissue re-tubed with some great tubes sounds different, if not better sometimes, than my '60's and '70's B-15's I have, which are likewise totally dialed. It's a great amp. A little more low end extension than a classic B-15, which was needed for this record. Oh - and you have to disconnect the tweeter - why that was ever built into that amp, I have no idea.

Best,
JMJ
Old 30th October 2007
  #21
Lives for gear
 
neilio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmj View Post
I've been snowed under for weeks on end, first day off today, and I'm layed out with a nasty cold...so here I am enjoying some Gearslutz Q&A on the couch with the laptop...nice. Keeps my mind off how shitty I'm feeling.

Flats on Starfire, that P-Bass has rounds.

B-15 reissue re-tubed with some great tubes sounds different, if not better sometimes, than my '60's and '70's B-15's I have, which are likewise totally dialed. It's a great amp. A little more low end extension than a classic B-15, which was needed for this record. Oh - and you have to disconnect the tweeter - why that was ever built into that amp, I have no idea.

Best,
JMJ
have you checked your pm's?
Old 30th October 2007
  #22
Gear Addict
 

We wonder about the tweeter in my 4X10 SVT cab all the time! we turn that dial off.
I'll trade you my ole "vinatge" Trace Elliot head for your 60's B15! The trace hase neon..I bet the b15 does not!


Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmj View Post
I've been snowed under for weeks on end, first day off today, and I'm layed out with a nasty cold...so here I am enjoying some Gearslutz Q&A on the couch with the laptop...nice. Keeps my mind off how shitty I'm feeling.

Flats on Starfire, that P-Bass has rounds.

B-15 reissue re-tubed with some great tubes sounds different, if not better sometimes, than my '60's and '70's B-15's I have, which are likewise totally dialed. It's a great amp. A little more low end extension than a classic B-15, which was needed for this record. Oh - and you have to disconnect the tweeter - why that was ever built into that amp, I have no idea.

Best,
JMJ
Old 30th October 2007
  #23
Lives for gear
 
doorknocker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmj View Post
I love those tones too...that would be Beck on the left, Smokey Hormel on the right.
JMJ
I realize now that some of my absolute fave acoustic guitar tones were recorded at Ocean Way: Besides 'Sea Change' that would especially be Ry Cooder's 'Paris Texas' and Tom Petty's 'Wildlflowers' album.

Besides the great players/engineers/equipment on these sessions, I guess it's also the room that does it.
Old 30th October 2007
  #24
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmj View Post
I'm Beck's bassist since '96. Also sang, played guitar, keys, percussion on this record.

JMJ
congrats!
Old 31st October 2007
  #25
Lives for gear
 
neilio's Avatar
 

jmj is such an awesome player...really.

ive been on sessions with him and his playing alone used to make me happy...plus just being a truly good guy, who always seems to make things fun...
Old 31st October 2007
  #26
Lives for gear
 
RCM - Ronan's Avatar
every time I listen to this record it completely humbles me as an engineer. One of my favorite sounding records in years.
Old 31st October 2007
  #27
Definitely a favourite album of mine too.
Great drumming. Great drum sound!
Brave, considering the taste for slamming rock ambient drums these days.
I wish Beck would record another album like this.
Old 31st October 2007
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Tubthumper's Avatar
 

The B-15 reissue - is this it?
Ampeg: Bass Amp Series - BA115
Old 31st October 2007
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
every time I listen to this record it completely humbles me as an engineer. One of my favorite sounding records in years.

it is THE go to album when i have to remind myself what "good" sounds like.

pure audio gold.
Old 31st October 2007
  #30
Lives for gear
 
chrispick's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
every time I listen to this record it completely humbles me as an engineer. One of my favorite sounding records in years.
I like it a lot too, especially the bass sound. Really rich.

There's another GS thread where people are extolling the sonic virtues of Steely Dan's "Aja" (which are great, in my opinion). "Sea Change" is an example of a different, but equally impressive and well-suited sonic treatment.

It's really great to have Justin stop by here and give us some first-person info. Thanks Justin!
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear