The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
evanescence vocals
Old 26th October 2007
Gear Maniac

evanescence vocals

currently working with a female singer who's after that amy lee from evanescence sheen on her vocals. it's a similiar band sound - all chuggy guitars and 'quiet emotional bit, then loud angry bit'.
just wondering what processing anyone reckons they ran her voice through. i'm fairly sure there's some heavy auto-tuning going on, plus some tightly edited doubling in places, but there's a faintly chorus like edge to her vocals which i hope someone could enlighten me on.
i've been trying adding in touches of small stone phase, some waves flanger, some homemade ce1 clone chorus, but they all feel too overt and modulated.
hopefully it's a technique rather than a specific piece of gear used.
many thanks
Old 26th October 2007
Gear Maniac

follow up

whoops, forgot some extra info.........i recorded all through a re valved se z5600, focusrite isa preamp, with liquid mix fairchild compression.
if that helps at all
Old 26th October 2007
Gear Addict

I'm probably not the best to respond to this (but it should get the discussion going), but I don't think there is modulation on her voice. I think it's just a lot of auto-tune and tons of tracks.
Old 26th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonie g View Post
don't think there is modulation on her voice. I think it's just a lot of auto-tune and tons of tracks.
Agreed.
Old 26th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turing View Post
currently working with a female singer who's after that amy lee from evanescence sheen on her vocals. it's a similiar band sound - all chuggy guitars and 'quiet emotional bit, then loud angry bit'.
just wondering what processing anyone reckons they ran her voice through. i'm fairly sure there's some heavy auto-tuning going on, plus some tightly edited doubling in places, but there's a faintly chorus like edge to her vocals which i hope someone could enlighten me on.
i've been trying adding in touches of small stone phase, some waves flanger, some homemade ce1 clone chorus, but they all feel too overt and modulated.
many thanks
try a dimension D
Old 26th October 2007
Lives for gear

Not sure but maybe a few tracks of Harmonizer at different settings blended in very carefully?

Whatever it is its a lot of effect and very tastefully done. I usually do not like anything but delay or reverb on vox but I have to admit it really works in her case. I heard her sing live without effects and she sounds good but not as good as recordings.

jim
Old 26th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad View Post
try a dimension D
I agree. It's not an Eventide.
Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear

I always thought her vocals sounded very colored, heavily saturated when she digs in. I'd say the recording chain is the biggest factor, sounds to me like something "Neve-ish" with a transformer into an la2a. Probably 2 compressors in series.
Old 27th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Not sure if this will help, but here's a couple of live tracks from the drummer's IEM (Wiltern '06)

"Call Me When You're Sober"

"Good Enough"
Old 27th October 2007
Quote:
many thanks
Fallen:

In the Recording Studio With Evanescence: Recording “Fallen”

Audio recording of vocals in the studio recording of vocals tracks

Call me when you're sober:

“Call Me When You’re Sober” | Evanescence, by Strother Bullins

According to this article there was no autotune used.
Old 27th October 2007
Gear Maniac

thanks guys, super helpful, and i'm just about to dig into those articles on the band in the studio.
and of course, the one thing i was hoping no-one would say was dimension d. i had a nagging feeling it might be that, i don't have one, and there's no budget for a hire. terrific! so i may have to get creative and try something original.
i'd better go and google 'original production ideas' right now.
Old 27th October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
thanks guys, super helpful, and i'm just about to dig into those articles on the band in the studio.
and of course, the one thing i was hoping no-one would say was dimension d. i had a nagging feeling it might be that, i don't have one, and there's no budget for a hire. terrific! so i may have to get creative and try something original.
I'm still pretty sure the "chorus" you hear is natural from tons of tracks, but UAD makes a pretty decent plug-in of the dimension d.
Old 27th October 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonie g View Post
I think it's just a lot of auto-tune and tons of tracks.
Bingo! And throw in some vocalign.

Rail
Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah... UAD makes a good plug emu. Another one to try is the Voxengo chorus which can do a reasonable Dimension D impression.

A agree with most here that stacked vocal tracks and autotune have a lot to do with the chorus effect.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search