The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
patchbays are nuts Consoles
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzie View Post
Zen Daddy-O, Zen ! The only way to do a bay.

Ron Allaire, Skyline
Yep. Been deep in that for the last week...
Old 26th October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
If you think that sucks, try hardwiring one sometime.
Been there. Done that several times. It sucks. I started to go blind from looking at those TT connections.

When I worked for the school I finally convinced them to start using Redco's DB25 bays after explaining to them how long they would have to pay me to solder a traditional bay, and explained that any savings they had by buying traditional ones would be eaten up by paying me to wire them.
Old 26th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTMNMF View Post
I worked for 18 months designing and building this: http://davidcarroll.com/Files/belden%20app%20report.PDF

I used to wire a tt bay after a 10 hour day of school in the evening before bed. I made detailed studies of the process so that I could minimize wasted time from switching tools and things. An audio pair can take as little as 1.5 min. per end if you get organized. heh

Think the process through and you will save a lot of time.

Here I am surfing a spool of wire when we got our first samples from Belden.
David, you are a patchbay god! thumbsup
Old 26th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danocaster View Post
I recently got the Redco w/ DB25 connections. Got DB25 to XLR snakes from Redco as well - and everything worked flawlessly - not a single ground loop or hum

Best thing I ever did -

I knew soldering would be beyond what I wanted to get into. I HIGHLY recommend Chris at Redco - as well as their 96 TT patchbay w/ DB25 connections

Redco RAWKS! They did a couple patbays for me a year or two ago. Excellent and fast job!

One thing I'd wish I had thought of at the time:
There were several unused jacks that I knew I would use at some point but I didn't have them solder anything to them, figuring I would just do it myself. Now I'm kicking myself for not at least having them solder 3' lengths of cable to them so later all I would need to do would be to solder connectors to the ends and then use an extention cable if needed . . . instead of now needing to probably disassemble much of the bay (remove the jacks to be soldered) so I can access them
Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear

Okay, patchbay update...

I've just learned that I've probably soldered have of my elco connectors on backwards.

Okay, it's official, I'm nuts, not the patchbay.

Sigh...

Oh well, I'm learning to actually pin elcos tomorrow from my awesome tech friend, and I've gotten soldering down to like 2 minutes a pop so I'm not so concerned.

Gonna be a longer weekend though.

Practice makes perfect. heh
Old 27th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTMNMF View Post
I worked for 18 months designing and building this: http://davidcarroll.com/Files/belden%20app%20report.PDF

I used to wire a tt bay after a 10 hour day of school in the evening before bed. I made detailed studies of the process so that I could minimize wasted time from switching tools and things. An audio pair can take as little as 1.5 min. per end if you get organized. heh

Think the process through and you will save a lot of time.

Here I am surfing a spool of wire when we got our first samples from Belden.
That is the ****e!!

Im an electrician and seeing that underfloor setup going to those racks makes me wet my pants.
I can appreciate how much work has gone into that setup and i commend you for taking the time to lay the cables in such a fashion, really cool, neat, tidy and exactly how I would have it if i had a client willing to spend the cash

To the other guys, i would definately say that using ADC patchbays with the punchdown terminals on a patchbay with all normals bought out to the back just makes life so much easier with initial termination and also reconfiguring. These terminations are used for some pretty intensive network cabling situations and so i cant see them being a problem as apposed to soldering, especially if you haven't been soldering for a while, there is quite a technique to getting a proper solder and not just leaving a 'cold solder' or having the connection only held together by the resin which comes out of the solder and not the actual solder itself.

Cheers from Matt
Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
Actually I find soldering relaxing... my version of widdling

I do it while I watch TV.

Oh, and I'm completely addicted to shrink wrapheh
Yea. I'm kind of the same way! I also love plastic zip ties. Actually I may even be obsessed with them.

I wired up 3 96 pt TT bays for a studio awhile back and wired the entire studio from scratch.. It felt insane at the time, but I look back at it with fun memories. 2 weeks of 8 hours an evening after working at the day job for 8 hours during the day...

Insanity? yes!
BUT, I wouldn't know what to do with myself otherwise hehheh

ERic
Old 27th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
David, you are a patchbay god! thumbsup
I worked for David! Didn't mean to confuse myself with company's principal engineer and owner.

David took me fresh out of school and gave me my first job in the industry. I worked refurbishing Coppola's film mix facility for David as I finished my last semester of college. Shortly after that was done David was struggling to get by and ready to give up. I encouraged him to hang on and soon the guys at Lucas Film came around claiming that it was their mission to make him rich! He didn't get rich, but that job helped him launch a company.

I was an engineer on the Lucas Film project and supervised a crew of up to 25 on the installation as well as doing much fabrication. At that time everyone involved in that project saw wiring as more than just hooking up gear, it was almost an art project. We calculated all of those bends so that the cables went from start to finish without crossing over each other and ended up fitting just so at each end. The interesting part is that the majority of the cables were fabricated in the shop and then delivered for installation, requiring every cable to be engineered to fit perfectly. One of my big contributions at the beginning of the project was realizing that we needed to develop a sorting algorithm for dividing up chained cable assemblies so that connectors would not be duplicated on cables that were meant to end up at a single multi-pin connector. We developed that algorithm and sold it to Lucas Film. At the time we had to run an IBM AT for 24 hours to sort a days worth of wirelists for fabrication.

A funny story about that job:

When I went to install the first cables for the scoring stage, I pulled two 24 pairs into the single 4" square-D conduit from the scoring stage machine room to the control room. When I first ran a fish tape through the 25' run it got stuck before reaching the other end. When I pulled it back it came with little trouble, but the end of it had been bitten clean off by some evil demon in there. BAD JU JU! I got the cables in eventually and George Massenburg recorded Linda Rondstadt as a test of the stage. It was realized at that time that we would need the massive troughs in the concrete put in to handle the cable because Lucas had planned the facility based on the idea that a few fiber optic cables would handle everything! DOH! Those massive troughs has to be cut into the concrete slab.

I made $6/hr engineering that and enjoyed it. Nothing but rice and beans in those days. It took quite a while to pay the $12,000 loan on my PPG system at that rate.
I wouldn't do a project like that these days for less than $125/hr. I've got an ICON setup and 500U of gear to pay for now.

I still like the technical aspects of recording studios, but today I think people should spend more energy on the artistic end product. As a result, I really only like jobs that are about art as the end product instead of return on investment.

Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear

No love for 144pt TT bays? I love their versatility (and price: got them for $50/pc heh ).

Looking at redoing my current 4x144pt + adding another 4 next spring.

"Zen and the art of soldering"
Herwig
Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot View Post
I bet you won't ever do it again.

I'm a big fan of the Mini Shorti Quickswitch patchbays. The plug-and-play factor will be a big reward down the road.
I know, I saw those afterwards and then marched around the room kicking myself like a one-legged dunkey.
Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear

Wait a sec, you got through interning/assisting and didn't learn to solder anywhere in there? Lucky.

I normally figure anyone that owns a studio (that would need a patchbay and has a tech) would know how to solder. Welcome to the club.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search