The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
cd player recommendation
Old 13th November 2002
Here for the gear

cd player recommendation

well, my trusty no-name (very old) cd player finally bit the dust. I was thinking about replacing it with an Alesis Masterlink so that I could get double-duty (playback reference and record) out of it until I saw the thread that indicated it may not be the best choice for a playback deck.

anyone have any recommendations for a good (inexpensive) cd player for the studio?

- neil
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

u need +4 out?
Marantz makes some good sounding ones. Sturdy as well.
Old 14th November 2002
One with big hooves

Do you need a +4 output? If not there's lots of stuff out there. I'd look into a CDR so you can burn stuff on the fly in real time. If I only need to make one copy of a rough mix I usually use the standalone. I also back up all the DAT tapes to that rather then using the computer. I'd definatly get something with a digital output no matter what. That's just way to handy to give up and once you have a player with a digital out you'll wonder how you ever got along without one. Tascam makes some stuff thats pretty bulletproof. If you really want a Masterlink grab one of those and a $59 CD player from Best Buy or something.
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

I agree about the digital out. Before getting the Masterlink, that is how I would listen to cds for enjoyment . . digital out into the Hedd. The digital out used to come in handy a lot of ways. And if you don't need +4 you can buy a cheap DVD player to use for both cd audio and dvd movies. I don't know if they have digital out or not.
Old 15th November 2002
Lives for gear

I picked up Sony CDP-D500 a from a dot-gone web-cast company and could not be happier with it. Seems like over kill for a cd player, but it has played every cd and cdr I have fed it. Even has wordclock in.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear