The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Urei LA4 COmpressor Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 12th November 2002
Here for the gear

Urei LA4 COmpressor

Hey there,

This is my first post on this forum.

I have been using a UA1176 compressor along with a Avalon pre and a Blueberry mic. I just like putting some 4.1 compression on the way in to the digital realm especially for vocals, acoustic guitar and Bass.

I am updating my home studio and I am trying to find something close to the opto compression sound of the 1176. An engineer friend of mine suggested this unit. Does anyone know what a good price for a used one would be?

Thanks in advance

Jotown
Old 12th November 2002
Gear Addict

Re: Urei LA4 COmpressor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jotown
I am updating my home studio and I am trying to find something close to the opto compression sound of the 1176. An engineer friend of mine suggested this unit. Does anyone know what a good price for a used one would be?
Nothing really sounds like an 1176 except a real 1176. That said, the LA4 sounds nothing like an 1176. The 1176 uses FET compression, not optical like the LA2,3,4 series. I would suggest getting yourself an 1176 if that's the sound you want. As for used prices on LA4's, I've seen Silver faced models go for around $400-$500 and the black faced models go for around $600-$700.

Mark
Old 13th November 2002
Mark made an excellent point, and on top of that IMO the old program dependent opto compressors sound too sloppy on percussion for my tastes. A lot of people seem to like them on voxs & bass guitar, but I never have especially with the bass. I'll take an 1176 over an La-2/3/4 anyday of the week for a
any of these applications (or a trakker or distressor instead of the whole lot).
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

The LA4 is one of the least used compressors we have. The 1176 is used every session. As a matter of fact . . . . I can't even remember the last time I used the LA4. I think I used it on a mono string patch and it worked well, but that was 9 months ago . . . too slow for me for bass. I wish I had more 1176s and no LA4s. If this helps you.
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

I'll second what all the others said. That said, Knox you can send me your unused LA-4, I'll mod it and find some use for it!
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

I have heard the mods really make them work. Who the hell wants to spend over $400 on the mod? I guess you can do it yourself . . . . me, personally . . . . I am the worst solderer in the world. I would need a fire proof suit to make a 1/4 inch cable.
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

universal audio is making a mono pre/1176 combo soon..check it out
Old 13th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Did somebody say LA4?

As an owner of 8 LA4's I suppose I should speak up here.

Yes, they don't sound anything like an 1176.

I have 4 blackface and 4 silver face. I did not pay a premium for the black face units. If blackface units cost more now, I say they are not worth the extra dough. In fact, to me, blackface units are less desirable.

Six of my units have been hot-rodded by Eddie Ciletti. All six for faster op-amps, and two of them have what amounts to a Trident 80 preamp built-in. Blackface units are not suitable for the Trident pre mod, which is why I now prefer silver face units.

I use the hell out of my hot-rod units. The op-amp upgrade is about $200-$250. If you can get your stock unit for $500 or less, and then get the I.C. upgrade you have an ass-kicking unit for $700 or less.

FYI: I also have an original blackface 1176 LN, repro LA2A, DBX 165, and Crane Song STC8 in the arsenal, among others.

wurly
heated by pond water
Old 14th November 2002
Gear Addict

Any of you folks used the 1178. How doess it compare with the 1176?

Thanks,

Woods
Old 14th November 2002
One with big hooves

It's similar but a bit different sounding. Closer to a silver face 1176 if that helps. A Distressor can come close to the 1176 vibe. It's not identical but I'd say they're interchangeable on a lot of things.
Old 16th November 2002
Here for the gear

Thanks for all of your replies.

I can't afford an 1176 for home.

Has anyone out there heard the 1176 emulation on the UAD-1 card?

I was going to get one of those anyway, I thought I might just pick up an FMR RNC for a little compression of the vox on the way in, and use the emulation of the 1176 in the mix.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th November 2002
Lives for gear

I look forward to trying them in TDM land and compare them to BF's version when they become available.
Old 17th November 2002
Lives for gear

I agree with wurly, the LA 4 ain't better or worse just different. I wouldn't use it for the pumping "Suck and blow"
type application that i would use a 1176 on, but its a fine unit in its own right. The 1178 is underrated. Such a bonus having two channels and the stereo strap in 3 rack spaces. I love having a few of all three, cause they all sound different.
Chris lord-alge mixed a song i recorded and I found it humorous that he rarly changes the settings on these units if he does't like the timbre he just patches in another unit
Old 31st March 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurly View Post
As an owner of 8 LA4's I suppose I should speak up here.

Yes, they don't sound anything like an 1176.

I have 4 blackface and 4 silver face. I did not pay a premium for the black face units. If blackface units cost more now, I say they are not worth the extra dough. In fact, to me, blackface units are less desirable.

Six of my units have been hot-rodded by Eddie Ciletti. All six for faster op-amps, and two of them have what amounts to a Trident 80 preamp built-in. Blackface units are not suitable for the Trident pre mod, which is why I now prefer silver face units.

I use the hell out of my hot-rod units. The op-amp upgrade is about $200-$250. If you can get your stock unit for $500 or less, and then get the I.C. upgrade you have an ass-kicking unit for $700 or less.

FYI: I also have an original blackface 1176 LN, repro LA2A, DBX 165, and Crane Song STC8 in the arsenal, among others.

wurly
heated by pond water
Thats refreshing to here, the op-amp upgrade sounds great, we have modified heaps of our gear ourselves (all analog stuff) and it all sounds great. Its not what u own, its more how u use and what u do with what u got.

Peace Fat Synthwarrior
Old 31st March 2011
Lives for gear

Woah! Old thread!

Anyway, I recently DIY ed a pair. Dual mono with different optos and output transformers. Relatively cheap build. Of course using modern op amps and components so these babies aren't exactly stock or faithful. I love em though! Bass and Vox are great, especially when you follow it with an 1176 type compressor (plugin for me). Let the LA 4 even out the body a little, while the 1176 catches the peaks.
Old 31st March 2011
Lives for gear
I have a pair modded by Bruce Seifried. Very useful tool, particularly for vocals.
Old 31st March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotown View Post
Thanks for all of your replies.

I can't afford an 1176 for home.

Has anyone out there heard the 1176 emulation on the UAD-1 card?

I was going to get one of those anyway, I thought I might just pick up an FMR RNC for a little compression of the vox on the way in, and use the emulation of the 1176 in the mix.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Instead of the RNC, why don't you just get an affordable opto. It would go well with the 1176 FET compression you use in the mix. A nice option is the old Joemeek SC 2.2 (in "dark mode") with maybe a couple of transformers across the outputs (I use Jensen nickels on mine). You could also try the Chameleon Labs 7802 Opto as well, it's a bit more money, but a killer comp. The UAD 1176LN (the one you have to pay extra for) is very nice, not as good as the hardware, but still very good.
Old 17th May 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound View Post
Instead of the RNC, why don't you just get an affordable opto. It would go well with the 1176 FET compression you use in the mix. A nice option is the old Joemeek SC 2.2 (in "dark mode") with maybe a couple of transformers across the outputs (I use Jensen nickels on mine). You could also try the Chameleon Labs 7802 Opto as well, it's a bit more money, but a killer comp. The UAD 1176LN (the one you have to pay extra for) is very nice, not as good as the hardware, but still very good.
1176?I never got why people love these units when I use Ear 660's,Tubetech CL1b's,Neve 32264's and Spectra Sonic 610's and upgraded La'4's.Urei 1176's are more of a groove piece than a good compressor and if you don't think so compare them with the above units.If you really want a 1176 buy a Warm Audio WA76 for 599.00USD and save some $$$ because we purchased a few and personally I think they sound better than an old 1176 because they are silent compared to the older original units.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search