The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is it worth fixing this mixer?
Old 12th November 2002
Gear Head

Is it worth fixing this mixer?

Hi to all, I found a used Tac Bullet 10/4/2 small mixer for $500 US. The owner doesn't have a cable that goes from the power supply to the console, so there is no way to test it. Also he's in US I'm in Toronto, so I can't check the console in person. I assume it will need some repair or at least some type of maintains. Let's say it will cost another $500 make it work.

1) Am I better off with buying a new Allen & Heath GL2200/12
2) How do these consoles (Tac) compare to Amek or have anything to do with Amek?
3) Which one is more quieter board A&H or Tac - assuming I fix it up and upgrade the op-amps.

cheers
Old 12th November 2002
Gear Addict

I seem to remember the TAC stuff being ideal for ram-raiding shops such was its construction ! I only ever used the "Scorpion" (for legal purposes, honest..) in some places, though so I can't comment on the Bullet !

I should imagine that the A&H stuff will be quieter, being more modern and whatnot..they made some good stuff..don't know what happened to them, really..I think they mainly do live desks these days and do pretty well in the European market.
Old 12th November 2002
One with big hooves

I'd probably get the new A&H. GL2200's are pretty sweet for such an inexpensive desk. There are a few places I do FOH at that have them installed. If you get the TAC you'll have the typical older console problems. It'll probably need a few caps, maybe an op-amp or two changed out and it's still older. But, are you going to be traveling with it or is it staying in the studio?
Old 12th November 2002
Gear Head

Studio use only, mainly for recording/tracking. My biggest concern is sound quality. If I fix up the Tac would it sound better - head room and bus summing then an A&H board.
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

I'd doubt so...
Old 13th November 2002
Gear Head

I'm no expert in specs, so could someone please compare the GL2200 and the Tac. Here is the Tac info I could find:

Equivelent noise -126dbv CCIR

Crosstalk: -54db @20Khz between left & right outputs

Line input sensitivity: -20 to +20db, 10Kohm input impedance

EQ frequencies:
HF shelf +/[email protected]
MF #1 Swept 500Hz-16Khz +/-14db peak and dip
MF #2 Swept 80Hz-2Khz +/-14db peak and dip
LF shelf +/-14db @ 80Hz
eq circuit is bypass-able:
Mutes

4 sends(switchable 1&2pre and 3&4post)

Built in 1Khz tone oscillator

For GL2200 go here:

http://www.allen-heath.co.uk/gl2200.asp
Old 14th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Direct outs

The A&H 2200 has direct outputs for all input channels. Very nice to avoid buss summing and get a more direct path to tape or disc. I would be surprised if that model TAC has direct outs.

wurly
Old 14th November 2002
Gear Head

It does have direct outs on al channels. Bus summing is what I'll be using the mixer for.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search