The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good guitar tone tone
Old 5th October 2007
Gear Head

Good guitar tone tone

Hi everyone,

I was just looking for some advice on miking my amp for recording.right now I'm using an M-Audio nova mike and an AKG 9000 running through an m-audio audio buddy straight into my delta 1010lt. The problem that I'm having is that my recordings have far too much hiss in them. I can't quite figure out what the problem is.All of the levels are set properly. I was considering running a mixer and a compressor in the hopes that it would help things but I'm not sure if it would. Any kind of help or advice would be appreciated. I just want a nice clean recording to work with.
Old 5th October 2007
Lives for gear

Is the hiss from your guitar/guitar amp or inherent in your recording system? In other words, if you shut off your guitar amp is the hiss still there?
Old 5th October 2007
a compressor will make the hiss worse not better...
Old 5th October 2007
Gear Head

The hiss isn't coming from my amp setup. I'm using a podxt and it's very quiet. I was thinking that maybe it's the audio buddy.
Old 5th October 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
a compressor will make the hiss worse not better...

yeah that's not gonna help anything.
Old 6th October 2007
Lives for gear

Plug your guitar straight into the amp with no Pod. I'm talking Guitar-Cable-Amp. Now see if there's still hiss.

Sounds like a case of bad and too much distortion.

What kind of amp is it? Are you using single coil pickups? What is the guitar?

There are many things you can do to make a guitar sound better, but to me your problem sounds like it has something to do with the amount of distortion your dialing in with the pod.

Also make sure you're not overdriving the preamp. You could also check the AC, refrigerator, ground switch on the amp, or trying a different outlet.
Old 6th October 2007
Lives for gear

I would turn everything all the way down....and then starting at the beginning of the signal chain, crank 'em back up and see where the hiss starts.
Old 6th October 2007
Gear Head

I have the pod running straight into a 4x12 cabinet. No Head. I know that it sounds like a weird thing to do but I get a good tone and enough volume to make me happy. The Distortion is not set heavy at all . Its closer to a heavily compressed clean tone with a smidgeon of dirt to push the tone a little bit. I'll definitely take the advice of starting from the beginning of my signal chain.

The guitar I'm using is a Washburn X50 Pro w/EMG pickups. Dual Humbucker setup. The guitar is as quiet as can be.

I can't help but think that it's the delta 1010lt.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search