The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Judas Priest sound
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear Nut

Judas Priest sound

Me and my friend are gonna try to do a "Defenders of the faith"-sounding rip off song for fun. Anybody knows anything about that recording? Mics on guitar, heads on drums, kind of beer/vodka or anything else ineteresting.
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear Addict

Something like "Free Wheel burning"? Oh man, if anyone from a future civilization wants to hear what heavy metal used to sound like, they should hear that song.

I don't know much about the recording. One things for sure though, it involved analog tape and amps on 11.
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Id guess JCM 800s would be the wisest choice for guitar amps?
Old 3rd October 2007
Gear Addict

A wise choice indeed.That seemed to be the metal amp of the 80's.

"Night comes down" is a haunting tune. It's got such a mood to it.

Rob still has the voice after all these years. Hard to believe after hearing "painkiller"......................
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

There's an episode of "classic albums" dedicated to the making of British Steel.
I'll never look at pool queues and kitchen drawers the same way.
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie Flame View Post
Me and my friend are gonna try to do a "Defenders of the faith"-sounding rip off song for fun. Anybody knows anything about that recording? Mics on guitar, heads on drums, kind of beer/vodka or anything else ineteresting.
You need to get really angry, like if you've been in the closet for 20 years, singing songs to a generally homophobic crowd heh
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Gay or not, Halford was the MAN or er, the LADY when it came rocking out great metal singing. Anyway, a mid 80's JCM800 would nice. DEFINITELY some model of a Marshall amp and celestion speakers, not freaken, high efficiency MESA, peavey type speakers.

Next, don't afraid to boost that amp with a early 80's or late 70's mxr distortion +.

Last and equally important, Defenders of Faith was completely tracked in a huge warehouse for it's vast dark reverb sounds. After recording, be sure add a really plugin for reverb: long dark plate or experiment with different big hall reverbs.
Even the whole kit was recorded in the warehouse. THe reverb really added to that sound on the album versus early stuff, say screamin for vengence, British Steel etc
Old 4th October 2007
Gear Nut

Hello again you metal maniacs!
I can still remember being 12 and the world changed with "Defenders". One of few metal records that has stand the test of time. Every fifth year or so, like now, I look through my old Judas and Accept albums and feel like a believer of the faith again.

Anyway I found this site with fun info about the making of the record.
JUDAS PRIEST INFO PAGES - DEFENDERS OF THE FAITH
Nothing technical on it but it´s sure fun to know that studio on Ibiza where they recorded it was broke at the time and all the equipment was gone when they came. They had to throw in thier down payment so the owner could get the stuff back. Rob and the lads had to roll the console on logs into the studio.
And the mixing in Miami was done in a warehouse because of the studio was in some moving situation.

Also I found out what "Jawbreaker" is really about. Wish I haven´t read that.

Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=

[/QUOTE]

That's so funny, I can imagine all these testosterone fueled teenagers, singing this track without realising that the lyrics are actually about sucking a huge cock heh
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie Flame View Post

Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear
hehLMAOheh
Old 9th October 2007
Lives for gear

great pic! hehehe

Yeah, Halford really had tried the patience of his straight bandmates with lots of homosexual related lyrics that is for sure. Especially, considering that it was potention suicide for their bread and butter demographic!
📝 Reply