The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Overheads matching question...
Old 11th November 2002
Lives for gear

Overheads matching question...

Hiya...
I have at my disposal some fairly decent mics, but the only actual pair I have that are not dynamics are MXL 603's. I have a TLM-103, which I think would produce a cleaner fuller sound on overheads(I'll be runnung through an a couple RNP's as preamps for awhile).
Heres my question: (note that I use and like the recorderman method too)
If I put the TLM-103 over the snare, and then an MXL as the mic to the right over the floor tom, would it screw with my image or anything else? Should I just go with 2 603's? These are my only 3 condensors, but I have a slew of good dynamics, including Sennheiser 441, 421, some Beyers, etc. The 441 will get the snare most times, toms will get Sennheiser 504's all around, and a Beyer ribbon in the kick.
Before you freak, just joking about the ribbon in the kick. It is a beyer though.
Any thoughts?
Anyone else used the RNP for overheads yet? Results?
Peace,
Paul
Old 11th November 2002
member no 666

Why would you be joking about the Beyer on the kik? Depending on where you put it, it may very well work very nicely... though I do find myself leaning towards Sennheiser MD-421's and 441's for that application a lot of the time.

As for using 'dissimilar' lg. diaphragm FET condenders for the application you've outlined... it should work OK... experiment and hone your positioning process and you should be able to get some pretty decent results.

Best of luck.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search