The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo ULN-2 headphone amp question Studio Headphones
Old 29th September 2007
Gear Nut

Metric Halo ULN-2 headphone amp question

I just got a ULN-2 and love it so far except that the headphone amp just does not get very loud. Right now I'm using cheapo Sony heapdhones (I mean really sucky cans) and am about to get a pair of sennheisers. But I worry that higher-end headphones are going to have (significantly?) higher impedance and therefore will be even more underpowered.

Anyone have a ULN-2 with decent headphones who can comment on the volume you get out of that combo?
Old 30th September 2007
Gear Nut

Anyone?
Old 30th September 2007
Gear Guru

I haven't had a problem. Have you made sure the mixer pane levels are maxed?
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

i'm using sennheiser HD-25 ($200) and it's blaringly loud two notches above half way, any higher and i'll be damaging my ears. My mixer pane is set at 0db as well so i'm not even using the extra gain.

You should easily be able to get serious volume.
Old 30th September 2007
Gear Guru

And you have the Hedaphone volume knob on the front cranked?

The routing and gain stages in the mixer pane make alll the difference. It depends from where your outputs are coming.

I haven't had a problems with levels. I have three Metric Halo units, one of them being ULN-2.
Old 30th September 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks for the replies. I'm not even using a mixer in the MIO console (they're all disabled - so I have no sliders to tweak).

My monitors are plugged into the "monitor" outs on the back and they get blaringly loud when I turn the monitor knob up. Even if I were using the MIO console mixer - it'd be the same output channel for the monitors and the phones (they're a mirror split off after the DAC) - so I don't think it's the mixer. The phones just don't get that loud when I turn up the headphone knob.

Well, it must be: I'm using REALLY crappy old Sony MDR CD30 headphones and a 25' radio shack extension cable. Maybe for whatever reason these just don't get driven well (though I figured they were pretty low impedance). I presume with Sennheiser HD-280, HD-595, or HD-650 cans (not sure which model I'm going to get yet), it will be much louder.
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

Dave,

What is the source that you are monitoring? For example, are you monitoring a CD through the ULN2 , or are you monitoring a microphone?
Old 30th September 2007
Gear Nut

I am monitoring the main mix out of my DAW. It's very loud through my monitors. It's not very loud through my headphones.

Same story if I'm just listening to iTunes.
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

I wouldn't use the monitor outs as a reference for the headphone outs...no real correlation there.

I think you're right, though...gotta be the headphones. I've never had a problem with any of my MIO headphone amps.

Last edited by Jimbo; 1st October 2007 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: made more better clearer
Old 13th July 2011
Gear Nut

FYI - I bought a new pair of high-impedance headphones and wanted to know the specs on the headphone amp of my ULN-2 to make sure it'd drive them ok. From MH customer support:

"While headphones with lower impedance would be expected to go louder than those with higher impedance, the ULN-2 headphone output is suited to a wide range of impedances.

The maximum drive current is roughly 40 ma.

The maximum output voltage is +/- 16v.

Depending on the impedance of the headphones, the driver can provide up to about 9/10 of a Watt of power; most headphones are easily driven by the headphone amp."

Useful stuff!
Old 13th July 2011
Lives for gear

AKG K240M's here and no problem with ULN-2 headphone amp volume.
Old 14th July 2011
Lives for gear

I have the MH 2882 so the amp maybe different, but it drives Beyer DT770 and Sennheiser HD600's pretty loud.

I really think you need to check the settings of the MIO console, at the default it isn't very loud and very likely could be the setting you are looking for.
Old 14th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavcatcher View Post
I have the MH 2882 so the amp maybe different, but it drives Beyer DT770 and Sennheiser HD600's pretty loud.

I really think you need to check the settings of the MIO console, at the default it isn't very loud and very likely could be the setting you are looking for.
If the original poster hasn't been able to fix this problem in the last four years...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search