The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
peak vs rms compression Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

peak vs rms compression

I am using Cubase 4, and one of the stock plugs allows you to variably choose to blend RMS or peak compression.

ex: At the 7 o'clock position, the compression is pure peak. Turn clockwise to the 5 o'clock position, and it is RMS compression. And everywhere in between seems to be a compromise between both.

That being said, I have had great results on vocals and snare using the settings at 20% rms and 80% peak. Blending offers great versatility.

Is this featured on any hardware comps? Had anybody had luck with this technique, hardware or software? Thoughts?
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRadio View Post
I am using Cubase 4, and one of the stock plugs allows you to variably choose to blend RMS or peak compression.

ex: At the 7 o'clock position, the compression is pure peak. Turn clockwise to the 5 o'clock position, and it is RMS compression. And everywhere in between seems to be a compromise between both.

That being said, I have had great results on vocals and snare using the settings at 20% rms and 80% peak. Blending offers great versatility.

Is this featured on any hardware comps? Had anybody had luck with this technique, hardware or software? Thoughts?

Well a peak compressor is acting more like a limiter or leveling amp.

So you are effectively chaining two types of dynamics reduction devices which is not uncommon in the analogue world...though I dont know of any one unit that does both.

Fun isnt it....

Cheers,
David
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRadio View Post
Is this featured on any hardware comps?

Why, yes it is: the beloved Alesis 3630

::::ducks::::
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

Valley people dynamite does RMS or Peak. I can't think of one that does both simultaneously.
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

Interesting. Yeah it's kind of a 'best of both worlds' kind of thing. Sometimes peak compression can sound hard and pumpy. Dialing in a little RMS smooths things out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search