The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Got an API 3124 and Great River MP2NV...
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

Got an API 3124 and Great River MP2NV...

I have the API 3124+ and the Great River I am going to be adding two more pres and will be finished for a while. Here is what I am thinking about...

1. Aurora MkIII (might get in the Great River area but it does have EQ)

2. A Designs Pacifica (liked what I have heard and might compliment what I have)

3. A Designs MP2A (I hear it is fairly clean but does have some vibe - haven't heard it)

4. ADL 600 (probably in the territory of the MP2A - have heard good things though)

5. Daking (like the extra eq since I only have the speck ASC-t stuff but I don't find myself looking for much eq in the first place - most eq'ing is done ITB for me)

I will be tracking drums along with the usual horns, guitar, bass, leslie, and minimoog from time to time)

Right now I like the great rivers on drums nice and thick with a strong upper mid punch. The API's are a bit softer sounding than the G'Rivers but that is only in comparison to the Great Rivers. I should also mention that I don't use more than 3 or 4 mics when mic'ing my drums. OK, all that being said tell me what company should take my $.

I should say that I really like Peter M. at A-designs so that is why I lean his way.
Old 27th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdunard View Post

1. Aurora MkIII (might get in the Great River area but it does have EQ)
I don't think the Great River and Aurora sound similar at all... I think it would be a good compliment to what you already own in the API and GR (the GTQ is bigger and rounder sounding). I think it all depends on what kind of sound you want. Maybe the Pacifica or some Quad Eight pre's would give you a good contrast, but be more in the API vibe. You have a lot of options.

Rather than something that is "different", what type of color are you looking for?
Old 27th September 2007
mds
Lives for gear

Daking would be a different vibe and the EQs are awesome...the EQ might make a believer out of you in regards to outboard EQ. :-D

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search