The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Millennia Origin STT-1
Old 27th September 2007

Millennia Origin STT-1

I'm doing a ton of female pop/rock stuff right now and I'm finding that I can't quite get what I hear in my head recorded all the time. I have mainly vintage style colored pres; LTD, TG, Pacifica etc.. I'm looking for I guess a more open less colored pop vocal sound. My buddy has the Origin and says it's the s**t! What's up?
Old 27th September 2007
I'd get the Millennia M2b first. It's the one thing 'in the Origin' that I love the most. It's the tube preamp (2 ch) section of the Origin. You've already got a ton of EQ's and compressors, so the preamp is going to be unique to what you own, and it's very open and very musical. Just my two cents after owning a pair of Origins for about 4 years.
Old 27th September 2007
Baz
Lives for gear

It's well worth trying out and I'd start in VT mode for Female vocals.
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

I found the Origin to be a bit "teethless". Pendulum MDP-1 could give you more satisfaction, not being too coloured, yet big, nice and velvet ... Of course, Telefunken V-76 is yet much better ...
Old 27th September 2007
Gear Addict

James,

Have a listen to the pres in the Trak2 from Apogee. Wonderfully neutral sound with air and 90db of gain - nail those ribbons!! Damn near silent with a quiet mic and almost every option you could want on a modern pre. If you want the hear the mic, the singer and not the pre this is a very good option indeed. Often overlooked because of it's Apogee and the fact that some find it hard to navigate.

The other one that continues to impress me is the Aphex 1100Mk2. Again, plenty of gain, quiet as a mouse in socks and gorgeous but very neutral sound. The HP filter is genius and the limiter really is musical within reason.

Both these have digital and analogue i/o and great metering - should you need it!

GM
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

James, I keep hearing good things about the Martech MSS-10 pre for that exact application.

I've really been looking forward to trying one but can't say what it sounds like. At $2K for a single channel it's got a hefty buy-in, but they say its even beyond wire with gain.
Old 27th September 2007

It might be worth a shot... I always used an Avalon M5 when looking for that type of sound. Might be worth trying one of those as well...
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

At a friends studio I heard a Female Vox thru Millennia Hv-3 or 2(?) the older generation one. This was after the track had been built up with api, 1073s, and a Manley Voxbox. Pro engineer, killer band. MY GOSH that track sounded good. The vocal-clear,beautiful, perfect fit. I've seen those used and cheap.

How about the Gordon. Should it be on the list?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search