The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Any Brauner Valvet Voice people...
Old 27th September 2007

Any Brauner Valvet Voice people...

I had one on loan for a review a few years back and I remember it being sweet and open sounding.

Are they really good for female pop/rock? Ala K. Clarckson, Pink, The Veronicas, Rhianna etc... What would be your choice? Something open and warm but not sibilant
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

The Brauners, while beeing open, detailed and gorgeous sounding in their own right I don't think of them as warm sounding. The word that comes to mind is fluorescent.

It's partly to do with the extended range. they go up to 24kHz or something while, for example, a 47 starts rounding off way lower. A low pass filter helps.

Brauners are hit or miss on lead vocals. While never sounding bad they're not always right either. They are accurate as hell and if the singer sucks, your room resonates or the stars aren't aligned the mic tells you just that. But when it works, boy does it ever.

It's probably the best backing vocal mic ever. It stacks so nice it hurts, especially on airy female voices. It would be my first choice for RnB BVs any day.

Hope this helps refresh your memory.
Old 27th September 2007

Thanks, any thoughts on something else?
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Thanks, any thoughts on something else?
Seems the only mic you haven't had in there is the C800.

When I heard the Kelly Clarkson song today the vocal sounded reminiscent of that mic.

At least that's how it sounded to me. Not sure if that's what was used.

You can always ask to borrow Damon's. You know Damon Sharpe across the hall from us.

Segal has one as well. Between the two of them we should be able to get one for a few hours.

Damon told me that we could borrow it anytime as did Segal.
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

The newer Valvets are warmer than the older ones. There was a circuit change at a certain point. Mine is one of the first warmer ones, and it has great balance.

It's the best mic I've used on really fine voices, both deep and raspy as well as high and airy. It is so wonderfully crisp and clear, at the same time solid and full.

Most of the vocalists I've tried it on have had issues that the mic accentuates, such as bad breathing or slight wheezing or clicking. I wish I had more technically great singers passing through here to use it on.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search