The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help bypassing the PreSonus FireStudio circuitry...
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

Help bypassing the PreSonus FireStudio circuitry...

Unfortunately until I work up the funds for some Lynx Aurora converters I am going to be running my A-Designs Pacifica into a Presonus FireStudio for A/D conversion. I'm trying to figure out how to minimize the impact of the FireStudio circuitry in front of the A/D.

The manual states that using the 1/4" jacks in the Neutrik combo connectors will bypass the mic level preamps and accept a line level signal. In this scenario, the preamp gain pots convert to line trim pots when a 1/4" cable is inserted. The center of the pot's travel is "0". Fully counter-clockwise is labeled "-20" and fully clockwise is labeled "+20".

I was under the impression that keeping the trim knob centered would minimize the FireStudio's impact on my sound, but PreSonus tech support today just told me (conflicting with prior information that they gave me yesterday) that turning the knob fully counter clockwise to "-20" would minimize the impact. Wouldn't this just engage the FireStudios circuitry unnecessarily where the signal could just past straight through with the knob at unity??? It seems like turning the trim way down would force me to push the Pacifica harder for absolutely no reason.

So what should it be? Unity, or "-20"?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search