The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Iso Box - Anyone using them?
Old 26th September 2007
Gear Head

Iso Box - Anyone using them?

Anybody use the ISO BOX?

I have the 16 space standard ISO BOX that I put my Power Mac G4 in with my Pro Tools HD converters, Magma Expansion Chassis and TC 96K Finalizer.

Its true that when you close it up its so silent.

When you open it you can definately hear how much noise there actually is.

Only problem is that when I run my G4 for say 10 minutes or so, it starts to get real hot and the fan kicks on really loud.

All doors are shut and the rear fan is running so you would think it should suck the heat out of the ISO BOX to keep it normal inside.

I cant hear the loud fan kicking in with the door closed, but I dont think its good for the G4 to get so hot that the cooling fan on it is blasting. Correct me if I am wrong.

Think I will try to raise the G4 so its directly next to the fans to suck heat more efficiently.

But does anyone else have this problem or a solution?

I don't want anything to burn out on my MAC or cause to much general heat inside.

Old 26th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Those things killed 2 of my computers, or perhaps just a coincidence. Solution -- Get a Mac G5 -- substantially more quiet than the G4. And with that 5150 kicked up and pointed toward the computer no one is going to hear the fan noise anyway!
Old 26th September 2007
Gear Guru

They are a compromise at best. I've honed my 20 space iso rack down to just my G5, and even at that, the fan on the isobox is almost as loud as the G5 by itself - unless the big fan kicks in - which it rarely would if it was OUTSIDE the isobox. I generally leave the CRM temp in the mid 70's and at that temp, with only 1 G5 inside it, the interior of the isobox runs 95-100+ all the time. A fully 20-25 degrees warmer than the ambient room temps. Nice idea, but it doesn't really work out IMO. If I had the almost 2k that I spent on 2 iso boxes back, I'd add another 2k or so and build a real machine room. That's the only real solution IMO.
Old 26th September 2007
Gear Head

I hear that.

I wonder if it might even be better to try running it with the back door off so there is actually better air circulation instead of trapping the heat in which is supposed to get sucked out.

Maybe it might stay cooler and have a little sound isolation.

Either way I think it sounds like I will probably end up ditching it.
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

Well, you can get a few long cables for the keyboard and monitor, and stick it another room. Many large studios do it this way, it's the only way you'll get a truly quiet computer.
Old 27th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide shift View Post
.........And with that 5150 kicked up and pointed toward the computer no one is going to hear the fan noise anyway!

Some people keeps their "heads" in the control room so they have access to the controls - doesn't mean the cab is in the room too. I got a 5150 & a couple Marshalls in my control room & I don't think they really make any noise @ all. To each their own....
Old 27th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I built my own box and played around with fans until I get the quietest solution with acceptable heat buildup.

You might find some ideas on this web page:

http://barnabas.com/sound/quietbox/index.shtml
Old 27th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundFella View Post
Some people keeps their "heads" in the control room so they have access to the controls - doesn't mean the cab is in the room too. I got a 5150 & a couple Marshalls in my control room & I don't think they really make any noise @ all. To each their own....
Yeah, my cabs are about 80 feet away in a completely separate building structure.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search